Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

Fair play thats why I said goal threat.

If he is scoring goals then it doesn't really matter what else he offers.

It does to a point if we are not creating chances for him with regularity.

We created a lot less when he went off than what we were creating with him on

Still so disappointed we didn't win. Forgot how it felt to really support this club. Felt so good today for a long time.

:thup: I shouted out loud when Wijnaldum scored :lol: Can't remember the last time i did that, it felt really good to actually enjoy a game of football that isn't some super team in the CL. :lol:

Think we'll struggle from setpieces and crosses all season, however well drilled we get.

Janmaat's usually decent in the air for a rb and Mbemba seems to have a good leap, but you wouldn't bet your house on him and Colo against a decent big striker with good supply (which won't be uncommon unless Haidaira can improve or he gets more help than he did today).

Colback, Wij, Anita, Aarons and Perez aren't going to be much use coming back to defend free kicks or corners either.

Not sure Haidara was told or ever cottoned to the fact that Tadic was going to dip back on to his left 9 times out of 10. Reminds me when we showed Recoba inside on to his left v Inter only for him to pearl it in the top bin.

Think we'll struggle from setpieces and crosses all season, however well drilled we get.

Janmaat's usually decent in the air for a rb and Mbemba seems to have a good leap, but you wouldn't bet your house on him and Colo against a decent big striker with good supply (which won't be uncommon unless Haidaira can improve or he gets more help than he did today).

Colback, Wij, Anita, Aarons and Perez aren't going to be much use coming back to defend free kicks or corners either.

It's not as if we were beaten for height, You can have 6'4 centre halves that will concede if they aren't in positions to even challenge for headers. Hopefully it's a sharpness thing and will come but the amount of free headers they had in the box was frightening.

Haidara's mistakes are things that can be easily worked on and ironed out in training.  Now we have actual coaches I expect them to work with him and not to see those mistakes (not closing quick enough/showing the attacker on his weaker foot) again.  Calls for a new LB are a bit premature imo. Given a run in the side I think he can definitely be a solid player for us and hold his place.  He has great ability to whip a ball in the box in attack too

When i think about today's match, I think we lost 2 points at around 60 minutes or so. At that point, Obertan should have come off as he was beginning to look clumsy and back to his non-confident 5-10 mins self. This was right around the time he couldn't capitalize on the 3 v 2 I believe and passed it back to our defense, a critical mistake in not getting something of a corner or chance on goal.

Thinking further - we scored in the 48th and gave up the equalizer some 30 minutes later. Obertan should have come off in the 60-ish minute time when we were still pushing on for that 3rd. Aarons should have came on at that point and given their fullback sub problems. It would have forced Southampton to spend more time worrying about Aarons running at them constantly who I'd imagine does give a cause for any opposing manager some concern due to his unpredictability and left foot. So we didn't make that sub, in the 60-ish minute. At that point, McClaren had another opportunity to do it in the 68th when Anita went down. Instead, in the 68th minute, Anita gets stretchered off and McClaren IMO should have pushed Colback into Anita's role, Gini as the box-to-box, Obertan off for Aarons to keep the width and pace fresh, and Perez as the #10 to keep the technical nature and drifting/more mobile team. Those 2 moves would have kept us firmly in control IMO.  Colback is Colback, but he has played for more in preseason to at least be capable of playing far deeper, starting attacks and letting Gini do the work.

Mind you for the 2 Colback blocks and the Mane miss, we had 2 hand balls in their box, a Davis block on Gini, and another trickling shot cleared off the line. So I'm going to cancel those out.