Gary Neville: The north is being cut adrift in English football

Paully

Salary cap is the only way to go but that's never going to happen.

Disagree. Abolish the loan system and restrict squad and playing staff and subs bench. This would solve it in an instant as player quality would be forcibly spread amongst the league. All these players on loan and on these benches would be plying their trade elsewhere under contract. It's a very simple fix but the turkeys rarely vote for Christmas.

The problem with a salary cap is you need to get every single league to agree. Would be pointless if the PL has a salary cap and the rest of Europe don't :lol:

Not that it would happen anyway but it's one of many reasons why it wouldn't.

I mean, even if England was the only one doing it, wouldn't the exodus of top tier players be a sort of parity? Even without a postseason, you might see a bit more variety. Maybe?

Too money much involved now and where there is that, corruption comes along for the ride too. FIFA is a prime example. If anyone doesn't believe that it isn't going on in the FA, the PL and at many clubs, then you are off your rocker.

Sad times. It's no longer the game I fell in love with, as a kid. :(

The problem with a salary cap is you need to get every single league to agree. Would be pointless if the PL has a salary cap and the rest of Europe don't :lol:

Not that it would happen anyway but it's one of many reasons why it wouldn't.

I mean, even if England was the only one doing it, wouldn't the exodus of top tier players be a sort of parity? Even without a postseason, you might see a bit more variety. Maybe?

We would but at the same time you still want to see quality players as a fan, no one would come if they can go elsewhere and get significantly more money.

If you were to do it then it would have to be a Europe wide rule.

Until 1983(?) the away team shared half the gate receipts. It was viewed as football common sense and the rule was changed the behest of the biggest clubs like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Everton. Ten years later the next step to elitism was the breakaway of the Premier League from the Football League, concentrating more money at the top. The Champions League also came along to guarantee all the top teams in each country a place in the top European competition regardless of whether they win their league.

In the last year or two, the tv money in the Premiership has finally risen to the level where gate receipts don't matter that much, esp if you are outside London and have limited income from corporate boxes. It now means that having a good support like us and Sunderland is hardly an advantage. The chance that NUFC had to leverage its good support into success post 83 has gone now.

People may dislike Chelsea and Man City but without them it would have been Man U vs. Arsenal every season for most of the past twenty years. An elite of four teams is better than one of two.

Until 1983(?) the away team shared half the gate receipts. It was viewed as football common sense and the rule was changed the behest of the biggest clubs like Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Everton. Ten years later the next step to elitism was the breakaway of the Premier League from the Football League, concentrating more money at the top. The Champions League also came along to guarantee all the top teams in each country a place in the top European competition regardless of whether they win their league.

In the last year or two, the tv money in the Premiership has finally risen to the level where gate receipts don't matter that much, esp if you are outside London and have limited income from corporate boxes. It now means that having a good support like us and Sunderland is hardly an advantage. The chance that NUFC had to leverage its good support into success post 83 has gone now.

People may dislike Chelsea and Man City but without them it would have been Man U vs. Arsenal every season for most of the past twenty years. An elite of four teams is better than one of two.

I thought the gate receipt thing came later than that,but your point is wholly correct. It was an exercise to keep the money with the richest clubs, who of course had the highest attendances.

Guest Howaythetoon

Money in the game has devalued history, traditions, gate size etc. to the point where they now mean nothing other than to the fans.

Chelsea and Manchester City are not big clubs, not historically. I would have had them below ourselves, Everton and Villa before they were bought by billionaires.

Now they are mega clubs, not big clubs because a big club is us, Everton or Villa or even the mackems. They are mega clubs, and we are a million miles behind them and always will be until we get an Abramovic type owner.

In a way, I kind of admire Chelsea and Man City, for their owners, its not about money, its about success and being the best.

As bad as they are for the game, Ashley and co are far worse because for them its about the money, the TV money, the brand association. Its not about success or being the best.

How about a simple 'you can't spend (x amount) more than you sell.'  Clubs could earn extra transfer money by doing well in the cups.

Newly promoted teams wouldn't be able to compete in this scenario

True, perhaps they could have some extra money or something like that.

There's got to be a solution to this problem. Too bad all the people with the power to change things don't give a fuck.

I remember watching an interview with Brian Clough when Forest were promoted from the old Second Division into the First. He was bemused by the fact they had the longest odds of 25/1 to win the league.

25/1?! That would probably be odds for somebody like Liverpool to win the league nowadays. I've no idea what Watford's odds were on winning the league this season, but I bet it was a tad longer than 25/1.

Competitiveness doesn't exist in this game anymore.

I remember watching an interview with Brian Clough when Forest were promoted from the old Second Division into the First. He was bemused by the fact they had the longest odds of 25/1 to win the league.

25/1?! That would probably be odds for somebody like Liverpool to win the league nowadays. I've no idea what Watford's odds were on winning the league this season, but I bet it was a tad longer than 25/1.

Playoffs, man. You'd fucking love it.

Playoffs, man. You'd f***ing love it.

You just know if it happened we wouldn't even qualify :lol: Philly of PL tbh.

Playoffs, man. You'd f***ing love it.

You just know if it happened we wouldn't even qualify :lol: Philly of PL tbh.

:lol: Yeah, we'd actively avoid it, tbh. But it would fix everything for the teams that actually want to participate in the sport.

How about a simple 'you can't spend (x amount) more than you sell.'  Clubs could earn extra transfer money by doing well in the cups.

Newly promoted teams wouldn't be able to compete in this scenario

+ rich clubs will just sell sponsorship to unbelievable high value to their owners, their owners can also buy other teams and buy players from them. The rich always finds a way to clean their money.

An American-style draft system is pretty much the only way to try to level things out, short of changing of employment and sporting law to limit the impact of money in the game. But with our whole tiered league system it'd be a complete Mess. In a pure format, can you imagine the next up and coming Rooney being drafted by Chelmsford City as first pick on a lengthy contract :lol: Who would train the kids too? All the academies for every club snuffed out in a heartbeat, would fall upon schools to bring through our talent instead I'd imagine. Maybe some sort of regionalised localization of drafting..