Pavel Srníček (1968–2015)

sempuki

Horrible news. My Mam will be devastated. Her favourite player.

Same here, oddly enough. She's never watched a game in her life but always asks "What's Pav up to these days?" every few months due to how nice he was at the training ground on a few occasions in 1994.

Always remember I was up in Glasgow to see Supergrass and couldn't make Arsenal away so give my Mam my ticket to go with my dad and brother. She had a season ticket but her interest was waning after KK's departure and Pav losing his place in goal.

As it was pre mobile technology info was thin on the ground especially with being in Scotland the same day. Fortunately I caught some team news in a newsagents on their radio and heard there had been an injury in the warm up and Pav was playing. He went on to have a blinder as we hung on for a 0-1 win.

Never forget ringing my Mam the next day from Sheffield Leadmill before heading home (I'd travelled straight down to see The Verve the next day from Glasgow to find out the gig was cancelled due to Ashcroft being ill (I think)). What was I saying about mobile technology! Never heard her so happy in my life as I listened to her match report.

R.I.P Pavel - Forever a Geordie

Just started reading his book in the last hour and he was also Freddy Shepherd's mothers favourite player. "Son, this is the best player at the club. You'd better give him a good contract" :aww:

The book is good so far. He's already spoke disparagingly about lots of people I hate in the first chapter (Allardyce, Carr, Bramble, Owen, Ian W, Emre etc).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavel-Geordie-Srnicek-ebook/dp/B018832VNO

:lol:

Horrible news. My Mam will be devastated. Her favourite player.

Same here, oddly enough. She's never watched a game in her life but always asks "What's Pav up to these days?" every few months due to how nice he was at the training ground on a few occasions in 1994.

Always remember I was up in Glasgow to see Supergrass and couldn't make Arsenal away so give my Mam my ticket to go with my dad and brother. She had a season ticket but her interest was waning after KK's departure and Pav losing his place in goal.

As it was pre mobile technology info was thin on the ground especially with being in Scotland the same day. Fortunately I caught some team news in a newsagents on their radio and heard there had been an injury in the warm up and Pav was playing. He went on to have a blinder as we hung on for a 0-1 win.

Never forget ringing my Mam the next day from Sheffield Leadmill before heading home (I'd travelled straight down to see The Verve the next day from Glasgow to find out the gig was cancelled due to Ashcroft being ill (I think)). What was I saying about mobile technology! Never heard her so happy in my life as I listened to her match report.

R.I.P Pavel - Forever a Geordie

Just started reading his book in the last hour and he was also Freddy Shepherd's mothers favourite player. "Son, this is the best player at the club. You'd better give him a good contract" :aww:

The book is good so far. He's already spoke disparagingly about lots of people I hate in the first chapter (Allardyce, Carr, Bramble, Owen, Ian W, Emre etc).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pavel-Geordie-Srnicek-ebook/dp/B018832VNO

Weird that a similar goalkeeping situation happened yesterday and our next game is Arsenal away.

What absolutely devastating news.

Like many have said, not the best keeper we've ever had put a fundamental part of the best team in our modern history. A thoroughly likeable guy who everyone took to their hearts. I can't think of many other foreign players who would get the Geordie tag. Solano maybe.

Got to buy his new book now and can imagine it selling out everywhere. Hopefully Steve Wraith can donate his cut of it

RIP Pavel. I can't be the only one who wanted to be a goalie at primary school and wearing his hideous goalkeeper top. Will be sadly missed

One thing I remember about Pav is that when the hype around NUFC was unreal and everyone was invested in it, there was a game at home to Forest when Collymore was the best striker in the league and in ultra confident form. We let Collymore clean through near the end and it looked a certain goal until Pav out-foxed him and somehow grabbed the ball from his feet before he had a chance to think about shooting. There were articles devoted to the save in the Chronicle, it was that good. I've made it sound shit, maybe you had to be there but it was fantastic and kept us in the game.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was a very good shot stopper and on his day seemed to be one of those 'keepers who were unbeatable. Never a great all-rounder, but he was a very very good goalie. I remember when he came back on loan many werent happy, not so much with Pav of course, but that we were resorting to bringing in a past it ex player, but I for one was very happy to see a good pro and NUFC man back at the club. His poor family. I will be buying his book like.

Seem to recall him saving a pen away at Spurs from, I believe, Klinsmann.

He dived completely the wrong way but it hit his legs and either rebounded to safety or cleared the bar, my memory is hazy.

Think that might have been Hooper? The same game when we went straight up and scored? [emoji4]