Arsenal 1-0 Newcastle United - 2/1/16 - Post match reaction from page 26

Greg

Desperately unlucky today, as well as some good keeping from Czech and they get the lucky scrambled goalmouth goal. sickening.

Dummet stood out like a sore thumb today at his inability to do anything but pass the ball backwards, never once got up the wing to back up ayoze, offers zero going forward and is limited defensively.

liked tiote in the middle, but Colback has to keep his position more, they kept occupying the same spaces when we were in possession.

Janmaat was outstanding today.

Rest were decent and right spirit.

We need a goalscorer, Mitro looks good but just isn't putting the thing where it needs to go...

This was one of the three template NUFC performances - play surprisingly well and still lose to a silly goal. So fucking predictable.

McClaren can bleat on about playing well, creating chances but it means absolutely nothing. It's another defeat.

Pleased with the postal service today. Put in an amazing effort. Tough to criticize the mailman although he left the package a half mile away on the roadside near all the other abandoned boxes, because he worked ever so hard. I'm sure eventually packages will find their way to where they belong if he keeps doing what he's doing. Unlucky not to get it there today.

Really unlucky not to get something but these missed chances are really starting to look like relegating us. I'd at this point panic buy Austin because we're desperate for someone clinical.

I'm not going to say that this results puts us down, because a point you get from Arsenal away has to be classed as a bonus point and this is a game we would expect to lose.

I'm encouraged by our performance for most of the match, we created chances, we dominated midfield, overall we were the better team on the day. What is discouraging though is our ability to put away chances, it's like everyone is nervous when a chance presents itself to them.

If we play like we have done for the majority of this game across the remainder of the season then we will stay up, however we always put on a performance against the big teams and not the teams around us, we need to change that. Thauvin needs to start, he offers us so much going forward, Wijnaldum was excellent in the centre today, we can even accomadate him without losing 1 of our forwards.

We played well and it was nice to see some of the football we put together at times but we lost one-nowt, again. We have to start putting away chances otherwise we'll be cut adrift completely. And as for the substitutions, why oh why wait until the opposition force your hand with a goal? Take the initiative and make the change to keep the game in our control, you ginger gimp. Pardewesque.

Looked a lot better with Tiote in for Anita. Probably the first time we've had a grip on the midfield all season. Shame we haven't got a striker worthy of the name otherwise we would have got something out of that.

Yip, he's stronger and seems to get about more without having to make so many last ditch blocks and tackles.

I just don't understand this unlucky shit. We don't score goals, we don't deserve a thing from these games.

It's utter shit. The only goal we have scored in the last 3 games was against the worst side in the division and we still didn't win.

I'm not going to say that this results puts us down, because a point you get from Arsenal away has to be classed as a bonus point and this is a game we would expect to lose.

I'm encouraged by our performance for most of the match, we created chances, we dominated midfield, overall we were the better team on the day. What is discouraging though is our ability to put away chances, it's like everyone is nervous when a chance presents itself to them.

If we play like we have done for the majority of this game across the remainder of the season then we will stay up, however we always put on a performance against the big teams and not the teams around us, we need to change that. Thauvin needs to start, he offers us so much going forward, Wijnaldum was excellent in the centre today, we can even accomadate him without losing 1 of our forwards.

It all means nothing though. I've seen plenty of occasions where we have played better than the result shows. Points aren't given out for effort or being unlucky. We need goals, we can't score them.

I just don't understand this unlucky shit. We don't score goals, we don't deserve a thing from these games.

It's utter shit. The only goal we have scored in the last 3 games was against the worst side in the division and we still didn't win.

4 games...

Guest firetotheworks

4 games...

Mmmhmm, it's not like bad decisions have cost us or anything. Best case scenario today was 0-0. That's not unlucky at all, if your best is 0 and the oppositions isn't then you've only got yourself to blame.

It all means nothing though. I've seen plenty of occasions where we have played better than the result shows. Points aren't given out for effort or being unlucky. We need goals, we can't score them.

I know that, there are two questions that will determine if we stay up or not.

1. Can we play like that against the teams around us?

2. Can we put away just 1 or 2 of our chances?

If you answer yes to them then we will stay up, play like we did today against lesser opposition and we will create more chances, we only need to put away 1 or 2 of them away when you like we did today.

4 games...

Pretty much the same for the past 12 months to be fair. Must just be really unlucky.

Its no different to people saying we didn't deserve to win against Bournmouth, were lucky ect.  We scored the goal so we deserved to win, Arsenal finished their chance so they deserved to win.

Anyway, good performance overall and looked the better team for most of the game.  But something has to change with the finishing.  Subs should have happened earlier as well, we dipped a bit on around 60 minutes and that's when the likes of Thauvin and De Jong should have come on.  Instead those changes only came because we went behind.

If you answer yes to them then we will stay up, play like we did today against lesser opposition and we will create more chances, we only need to put away 1 or 2 of them away when you like we did today.

Well so far the answer is no to both though. Apart from Norwich we've been shite or "unlucky" against opposition in the bottom half.

We need 4 quality first team signings in January to shore us up. Pretty much create a spine of a team we can depend on and have someone who is a proven goal scorer.

Well so far the answer is no to both though. Apart from Norwich we've been shite or "unlucky" against opposition in the bottom half.

We need 4 quality first team signings in January to shore us up. Pretty much create a spine of a team we can depend on and have someone who is a proven goal scorer.

We have the ability in our squad though, yes we are weak in areas, but we do have the ability in our team, we need consistency in our good performances. If we showed that then we wouldn't be having this conversation. The quality is already there in the squad to bring us out of this battle, but they need to fucking show it more.

Today was different to time when we have played well against good opposition, why because today we were on the front foot, we took the game to Arsenal and we created chances without having to rely on the counter attack. That is a big area where we have missed out on so much this season, we have waited to play counter attacking football.

Today's performance makes me think we should be able to get draw out of Man Utd, because we won't punish them but they won't threaten us much.

We have some quality and display some ability. No more. If it's not strong enough to over come the weaknesses in other areas then you'll never be the sum of your parts. The ability of some individuals with potential or pedigree its wholly outweighed by the lack of competition or balance; which can only be rectified with investment.