Watford (A) FA Cup - Sat 9th Jan at 3pm (not on TV) - Pre-match thread

ChrisJbarnes

I hope Thauvin, Mbabu and De Jong all start. I think for the first time in my life I'd rather we were out of the cup as staying up this season is far more important.

That said, a win is a massive confidence boost we could really use as a team. I guess I'm torn.

I hope Thauvin, Mbabu and De Jong all start. I think for the first time in my life I'd rather we were out of the cup as staying up this season is far more important.

That said, a win is a massive confidence boost we could really use as a team. I guess I'm torn.

Guess who wins again?

Not sure staying up really is more important, we're only staying up to resume our never-ending quest for 15th place.

:thup:

Cup is more important in my eyes.  We actually have a chance of winning it.

:yao:

Guest Roger Kint

It would be perfect if we won the cup and got relegated.

It would prove the hierarchy correct but then again, Ashley said he would only go if we won something.

He never stated how long after we won something though. His excessive pricing of the club wouldnt change a single thing in terms of finding a buyer. Incredible people actually believe words that come out his mouth tbh :lol:

It would prove the hierarchy correct but then again, Ashley said he would only go if we won something.

He never stated how long after we won something though. His excessive pricing of the club wouldnt change a single thing in terms of finding a buyer. Incredible people actually believe words that come out his mouth tbh :lol:

I wasn't being serious. I don't believe he is trying to win anything, he is holding on to the club until it doesn't satisfy it's use as a Sports Direct advertising board.

Guest Roger Kint

I wasn't being serious. I don't believe he is trying to win anything, he is holding on to the club until it doesn't satisfy it's use as a Sports Direct advertising board.

Impossible to tell after whats posted above really. Plus it should be obvious that it was not just aimed at you either given our support

Considering we played (IIRC) a pretty strong team at home to Sheff Wed and still lost I don't think it matters who plays on Saturday.

A good cup run is however good for morale and confidence and we should be attacking this with all guns blazing.

Incredible that some people think he would sell up if we finished fourth.  I'm not including you in this, btw.

Any sort of success would give him a whole new lease of life and a few years longer to bleed the club dry. Nobody would remember his interview, hence why it's a cynical comment he'll never be held accountable for even if by some miracle we fluke a cup or top 4 place.

Aye who cares about winning things, being the 17th best team in the league, that's all that matters

Aye who cares about winning things, being the 17th best team in the league, that's all that matters

If we get relegated we won't be challenging for any major trophy for the forseeable future and the whole direction of the football club looks ominous regardless of whether Ashley sells it or not. It's easy to pass out a cynical reply but the reality is if we go down the chances of actually getting back to a club of even a remotely respectable stature at the top level seems massively unlikely.Like I said, for the first time ever, I'd rather we focussed on the league and then if we managed to stay up you have to hope further investment will happen to build on what we have. But still, A win for momentum would probably be more beneficial than a loss.

If we get relegated we won't be challenging for any major trophy for the forseeable future and the whole direction of the football club looks ominous regardless of whether Ashley sells it or not. It's easy to pass out a cynical reply but the reality is if we go down the chances of actually getting back to a club of even a remotely respectable stature at the top level seems massively unlikely.Like I said, for the first time ever, I'd rather we focussed on the league and then if we managed to stay up you have to hope further investment will happen to build on what we have. But still, A win for momentum would probably be more beneficial than a loss.

Except that isn't the reality at all. In fact the exact same opinion was probably put forward in 08-09.

Except that isn't the reality at all. In fact the exact same opinion was probably put forward in 08-09.

I personally don't think we'd repeat what we achieved last time we got relegated. The Championship is are much more difficult league with stronger spending powers than it was back then. That's without even considering what we'd be left with after everyone on big contracts was sold.

I personally don't think we'd repeat what we achieved last time we got relegated. The Championship is are much more difficult league with stronger spending powers than it was back then. That's without even considering what we'd be left with after everyone on big contracts was sold.

Perpetual inertia should we stay and we'll never 'build' anything under this model. Go down and you're quite right, we do face relative oblivion. I don't believe anyone who reckons there have been worse times than this. Par maybe.