Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I'm expecting a lot from Shelvey, tbh. Looks like he'll definitely be staying and he owes us as far as I'm concerned. Centre-midfield was a position that vitally needed improvement and regeneration in January of last season; we put most of our eggs in a Shelvey-shaped basket and he didn't perform. He barely looked like he wanted to perform.

He's got talent that should make him a real asset in the Championship. I hope he fulfills that potential and becomes one of the first names on the teamsheet, as he should be given that the other CMs don't have that much to offer in terms of talent and skill.

Before everything turned to blur, you could make out Shelvey on the field. As before - playing within himself. Always focused on how to kick the ball in the most audacious way, attack tempo and team mates' runs come second, if at all.

One-touch half-volley with the outside of the foot to return the ball to Colback (as always hiding behind two opposition players) while the left half of the pitch had three of our players and literally none of the opposition. He's a midfield Cisse basically, except he's non-existing off the ball and of course immobile as fuck.

There's a lot of potential in his partnership with Colback, the other deep-lying playFaker.. potential to destroy our season by January, even Rafa's tenure and the future of the club. It's vital that these two are removed from the starting line up. And hopefully some proper football manager can offer us money for Jack Colback. There's no danger of that with Shelvey and his rumoured absurd wage. The best we can hope for is that somebody panics and loans him in a desperate deadline move.

Shelvey was excellent 2nd half. As he should be against league 2 opposition. It's clearly all mental with him, if he wants it enough and is motivated by Rafa he will be the best midfielder in the championship. If not which is often the case, he'll waste his talent and find himself sat on our bench again.

It was almost as if having his ginger ball and chain removed at half time liberated him. Firstly Hayden & then Saivet won the ball well and moved it on quickly allowing him to dictate the game and start our attacks. Compare those two to Colback and his slow motion first touch(es) and sideways passing and it makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he could turn out ok. As long as he doesn't play with Colback?

Yet somewhere in this same thread when he made his debut there were numerous posts saying how Colback complimented his game. In fact, Colback got injured then.. and Shelvey's dip in form was attributed to not having a suitable midfield partner.

I suspect there will always be a reason with this player.. he played well because of xyz... he played shit because of xyz.. when it's really his attitude that's the problem.

He's probably using up Liverpool loyalty points with Rafa at the moment. Once they are gone his time will be up.

So he could turn out ok. As long as he doesn't play with Colback?

Yet somewhere in this same thread when he made his debut there were numerous posts saying how Colback complimented his game. In fact, Colback got injured then.. and Shelvey's dip in form was attributed to not having a suitable midfield partner.

I suspect there will always be a reason with this player.. he played well because of xyz... he played s*** because of xyz.. when it's really his attitude that's the problem.

He's probably using up Liverpool loyalty points with Rafa at the moment. Once they are gone his time will be up.

Rafa's job is to help in sorting his attitude and get him focussed. I trust Rafa to do this better than McClaren/Steve Black.

Also, football is a team game, having players who compliment each other is a requirement, otherwise you get the disjointed troth of infected anus juice that we've witnessed for the past 7+ years.

Still very worried about our midfield. Hopefully Rafa will see through Colback, which will help.

Colback will probably be fine in the championship anyway, although I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa replaces him anyway. Isaac Hayden can play in that role, and if these rumours about Lucas are true, then it looks like Rafa is already looking ahead. I have no doubt whatsoever that Rafa will be replacing him by the time we get back in the premier if not sooner.

Guest ElCid

Still very worried about our midfield. Hopefully Rafa will see through Colback, which will help.

Colback will probably be fine in the championship anyway, although I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa replaces him anyway. Isaac Hayden can play in that role, and if these rumours about Lucas are true, then it looks like Rafa is already looking ahead. I have no doubt whatsoever that Rafa will be replacing him by the time we get back in the premier if not sooner.

If Colback and Shelvey are the starting two for this season then I will be concerned.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share an observation, which seems more than a one-off re JJ's attitude. On Saturday he was first off the pitch, with that petulant-looking stroll of his. He looked up to the Milburn stand, nobody seemed to be paying him any attention, most were heading for the exits, and then put his head back down. I was just thinking bet he feels unappreciated, when the remainder of the players starting clapping the stands and received a decent response.

If JJ had (a) stayed and joined in; (b) thought to wave/applaud, he would have received a decent response. Point is, you create your own perception of others sometimes, in that people will seem strange, or cold, when you behave strangely or coldly.

Thought he looked like what we needed tbh, out of desperation more than anything else. Fucking hated it when he did that hands on knees bendover thing he does when he loses the ball though. Just stops to do it for like 2 seconds while play carries on around him, then walks to the side and observes the opposition taking the ball down the pitch.