Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I appear to be in the minority here, but it just seems like trading insults: 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Fact is though the rule broken doesn't stipulate use of hurtful/abusive language so Shelvey could have said something far more offensive and not been charged. And if the smelly-breathed one (or team mate) had said exactly the same but replaced bald with Gypsy, he could have been charged.

That said, totally support the 'kick it out' drive and perhaps stamping down on such relatively mild verbals (it's all a bit pathetic in the cold light of day) ensures the kind of pernicious racist nastiness of yesteryear stays a thing of the past.

I'm a bit torn after reading that, it seems like the Wolves players all heard different things and only came to the conclusion they did after conferring after the match. That evidence is absolutely laughable, anyone knows that the main issue with eye-witness testimony is allowing them to discuss the events as they can quite easily convince each other something that didn't occur.

There was a test on TV once, where a staged crime was committed and some stooges were used to give out false evidence to other eye-witness testimonies. End result was people started saying stuff they blatantly didn't see.

You can also then argue that "bald c***" to someone with a medical condition relating to baldness is just as bad and should be treated as severely as Shelvey's has. Sadly, as nobody can confirm who said it - they'll get away with it.

I think Shelvey's previous behaviour and character precedes him here and that is one of the main reasons why the FA found him guilty of it.

The case sounds weak. "Smelly Breath" could easily be mis-heard in a big stadium in SJP.

Shelvey shouldn't have reacted but I'm glad at least we can plan for the next 5 games.

Rafa will look after Shelvey. As long as he's listening to Rafa - he'll be a key player for us.

Tbf I was sat front row, in home end at Leeds as when he came to take a corner - he was getting some absolutely stinking abuse from their fans.

Visiting supporters gave him loads of shit. He just needs to stay focused when he comes back.

Struggling with this one. How is calling an Arab, an Arab racist. As far as i'm aware most Arabs don't regard the name as an insult.

Mention race and your banned. Doesn't matter if it was a racist comment. ((Which it wasn't by definition.))

Struggling with this one. How is calling an Arab, an Arab racist. As far as i'm aware most Arabs don't regard the name as an insult.

Sticking 'fucking' in front of it then its an insult. The fact 'Arab' refers to a persons ethnicity/race/religion means together its a 'racist insult'. It's pretty simple stuff really, i'm struggling with how people can't understand it.  :huff:

The term 'Arab' isn't racist, but using it in a derogatory sense is. Such as 'Arab c***'.

Amazing that this still needs explaining.

It doesn't. The fact the definition of racism is being diluted virtually by the week is amazing. How long will it be before calling someone a 'Byker bastard' or 'Wallsend wanker' (no offence) is considered racist. And please, lets not pretend those who have climbed onto their 'high horse' have never uttered a racist comment at some point in their lives. Modern definition of course.

The term 'Arab' isn't racist, but using it in a derogatory sense is. Such as 'Arab c***'.

It doesn't. The fact the definition of racism is being diluted virtually by the week is amazing. How long will it be before calling someone a 'Byker b******' or 'Wallsend w*****' (no offence) is considered racist. And please, lets not pretend those who have climbed onto their 'high horse' have never uttered a racist comment at some point in their lives. Modern definition of course.

Byker or Wallsend is not a religion, culture or ethnicity. Hence why it wouldn't be racist.

There is no need to include a person's religion/culture/ethnicity in any insult, unless you are intending it to be racist.

It doesn't. The fact the definition of racism is being diluted virtually by the week is amazing. How long will it be before calling someone a 'Byker bastard' or 'Wallsend wanker' (no offence) is considered racist. And please, lets not pretend those who have climbed onto their 'high horse' have never uttered a racist comment at some point in their lives. Modern definition of course.

I suggest you read the Equality Act 2010, strangely enough being from Byker or Wallsend isn't a protected characteristic.

Literally can't believe this debate is being had in 2016.

Honestly I can only assume people are wilfully playing dim at this point because they 'don't think it's that bad'. Which is fair enough. I don't think Shelvey's a horrendous racist on the back of this either. I don't think calling someone an 'Arab prick' is the end of the world or out. It's not on, but we can move on from it.

It's quite obviously not just "calling an Arab an Arab" though, and the FA rules state that any abuse aimed at a player's ethnicity/religion/nationality is a 5 game minimum ban. Hence why it would also be a 5 game minimum ban for calling someone an "English cunt", or a "Mexican cunt", or a "Jap Cunt" if it was reported.

Guest neesy111

Literally can't believe this debate is being had in 2016.

Honestly I can only assume people are wilfully playing dim at this point because they 'don't think it's that bad'. Which is fair enough. I don't think Shelvey's a horrendous racist on the back of this either. I don't think calling someone an 'Arab prick' is the end of the world or out. It's not on, but we can move on from it.

It's quite obviously not just "calling an Arab an Arab" though, and the FA rules state that any abuse aimed at a player's ethnicity/religion/nationality is a 5 game minimum ban. Hence why it would also be a 5 game minimum ban for calling someone an "English cunt", or a "Mexican cunt", or a "Jap Cunt" if it was reported.

Aye, this is basically my view.  I don't think he's a racist and that what he has said is racist as such but he's broken the rules and we have to accept the outcome of it, the FA are not picking on us etc, they were given a complaint and have dealt with it. 

What i will say, his defense could had been better organised in terms how it was presented to the FA.  Also he needs to learn to keep his gob shut at times.