Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Tbf I'm sure I've read articles about him improving his fitness in each of the last three summers

Me too. He's just not athletic or is doing something wrong in the season. Not sure i've seen a player in his mid 20's suffer so badly with athletic fitness - perhaps Guthrie.

2 years ago I know he got a Chef.

Last year - working harder than ever apparently.

This year - again.

Doesn't he like a pint or two still through the week up Ponteland way?

But all that work has resulted in an improvement hasn't it? He seems much more mobile than he used to.

Yep it's pretty clear he's looking leaner than before which can only be a good thing.

I honestly think if he can stay fit he'll be back in an England squad before the end of the season. I also think the same could be said about Gayle, if he can replicate last season's form and stay fit.

I honestly think if he can stay fit he'll be back in an England squad before the end of the season. I also think the same could be said about Gayle, if he can replicate last season's form and stay fit.

Unfortunately, not a chance.

Shelvey has too much of a reputation as a maverick. Gayle will never be perceived as a player good enough for England. Unless we over-perform big time, none of our players will make it.

Shelvey has too much of a reputation as a maverick. Gayle will never be perceived as a player good enough for England. Unless we over-perform big time, none of our players will make it.

Colback was called up, so there's definitely a chance.

If Gayle starts banging them in, in the premiership, he's got to be in with a shout. Why wouldn't he?

Colback was called up, so there's definitely a chance.

Colback was called up on the back of a good debut performance for us, no one had had a proper look at him before that. Once it became apparent that he had no engine whatsoever it was clear he would never get an England call again. Shelvey will have the same problem IMO. He's got all the skill needed without question, but he will have to show some mobility to go with it.

He doesn't have all the skill needed. He can pass really well. Even then he needs time and space. One of the most impressive things about a Toni Kroos in comparison to Xabi Alonso - is that he has quick feet, much better on the ball under pressure. Someone like Shelvey needs half the attention before his game is nullified than an Alonso.

I think Shelvey can be a useful player in the PL. He has "wow" passing ability for big moments. But I think he's deficient in other areas of the game. If he was just OK in other areas he would be a much better player.

I've seen a little of James WP who reminds me a bit of Shelvey although a little better at the other things, not as dangerous in open play. That bit more mobile. That bit more intelligent off the ball.

If Gayle starts banging them in, in the premiership, he's got to be in with a shout. Why wouldn't he?

I think Gayle will score goals personally. He's a good all round striker who just needs to show he can do it consistently at the top level and he'll get the recognition he deserves.

He doesn't have all the skill needed. He can pass really well. Even then he needs time and space. One of the most impressive things about a Toni Kroos in comparison to Xabi Alonso - is that he has quick feet, much better on the ball under pressure. Someone like Shelvey needs half the attention before his game is nullified than an Alonso.

I think Shelvey can be a useful player in the PL. He has "wow" passing ability for big moments. But I think he's deficient in other areas of the game. If he was just OK in other areas he would be a much better player.

I've seen a little of James WP who reminds me a bit of Shelvey although a little better at the other things, not as dangerous in open play. That bit more mobile. That bit more intelligent off the ball.

Well when I said he has all the skills needed I wasn't talking about winning the world cup, I was talking about being a Premier league midfielder. Obviously if we can replace him with Kroos or Alonso quality players then that would be great and see ya later Jonjo.

• 2 weeks later...