Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

For all the talk of how we wouldn't miss him we really, really did - he's the one who brings Gayle to life and can release pressure when we're pinned back.

Imagine the reaction if he let Mooy go like Merino did today? :lol:

Guest Bordertoon

I don't think the psychology of it is that complicated. He's likely grown up having the p*ss taken out of him & he's learnt to fight back/stand his ground. He clearly has insecurities though so personalises situations like that as someone trying to "put him in his place" in a similar way & thinks he's being walked over if he lets it go.

Another player wouldn't personalise it in the same way & would just see Alli throwing the ball away as him being petulant rather than a lack of respect for whoever wants it. He probably wouldn't respect anyone in that moment. Shelvey took it personally.

You may well be on to something here, although I think that the psychology that you're describing is fairly complicated, and certainly more complicated than most of this pull-your-head-in-you-baldy-racist-cunt thread allows for.

Putting all my ill-advised Freud stuff to one side, I suppose my broader point is that Shelvey's behaviour does constitute a genuine psychological problem for which he needs and deserves help (that is, a problem pattern that stems from a complicated interplay of thoughts, feelings, and behaviours over time), and it seems like those closest to the situation (his manager and teammates) agree with this, if reports of them getting around him and supporting him are anything to go by.

Guest Bordertoon

For all the talk of how we wouldn't miss him we really, really did - he's the one who brings Gayle to life and can release pressure when we're pinned back.

Imagine the reaction if he let Mooy go like Merino did today? :lol:

Completely agree - as frustrating as he can be, Shelvey has a quality and creativity which is sorely lacking throughout the rest of the squad.

We really missed his creativity in the first half against Spurs, too.

Different scenario really - it's the games you hope to win he might make the difference - one good through ball to Gayle today was all we needed to get something.

Guest neesy111

I really don't think Gayle was capable of anything today no matter what the service was.  Didn't look right at all.

I really don't think Gayle was capable of anything today no matter what the service was.  Didn't look right at all.

Aye, probably one for the Gayle thread but he was way off today.

Hoping it's just that he missed most of preseason and isn't up to speed yet..

Guest Bordertoon

We really missed his creativity in the first half against Spurs, too.

Take your point, but surely that match (especially in the first half) was a very different test of Shelvey's creative powers?

Also, with all but the very best of players, I think that creative powers are something of a hit-and-miss affair. The problem with our squad is that apart from Shelvey, creativity from our centre mid options seems to be a miss-and-miss affair.

Perhaps with time Merino can change this for us, which imo could prove very important for our propspects this season.

• 3 weeks later...

Liked his attitude tonight, unlike Aarons, he didn't just turn up because he was told to, he put in a shift and was driving the team forward, in the last minute of injury time he really should have been played in be a ball squared to him after making a good run. He was playing at 75% speed for sure, which is sensible at that level but he was still focused and was pinging the ball around especially in that first half.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that this guy hasn't just waltzed straight back into the team. One of the biggest things Rafa has done is create a competitive environment where nobody is guaranteed a spot.

Yep, we've just won 3 PL games in a row without (more or less) Shelvey and Gayle. Seemed  unthinkable last season.

I love that this guy hasn't just waltzed straight back into the team. One of the biggest things Rafa has done is create a competitive environment where nobody is guaranteed a spot.

Yep, we've just won 3 PL games in a row without (more or less) Shelvey and Gayle. Seemed  unthinkable last season.

We proved on many occasions it wasn't possible!

We've played very well last few games but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The liverpool game will be very interesting

We've played very well last few games but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The liverpool game will be very interesting

Are you saying we should be judged on how we do against Liverpool rather than the type of teams we've played recently?  If so i'd disagree.  We need to beat the teams at the bottom and the middle of the league to achieve our goal so i'd rather we did that.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a team that loses to s*** sides but then decides to turn it on against the so-called big clubs.  And we've had a fair few teams like that to be fair.

Are you saying we should be judged on how we do against Liverpool rather than the type of teams we've played recently?  If so i'd disagree.  We need to beat the teams at the bottom and the middle of the league to achieve our goal so i'd rather we did that.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a team that loses to s*** sides but then decides to turn it on against the so-called big clubs.  And we've had a fair few teams like that to be fair.

No not exactly. I agree with you though and don't get me wrong, so far, so good.

I just think the last 3 teams were really poor on the day, coupled with us playing well on the day. I don't expect us to beat liverpool, but if we compete and don't get embarrassed then really bodes well for rest of season

Part of that is down to the players not being that great to start with. Shelvey has a great eye for a pass, but he's not great when we don't have the ball. If he was I think he'd be in for Hayden.