Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

It did happen on Thursday, Diame responded to Lascelles saying to him that if he doesn't want to be here then to go by slapping him across the face, then Lascelles was trying to hit him back but was held back. They weren't thumping each other.

It did happen on Thursday, Diame responded to Lascelles saying to him that if he doesn't want to be here then to go by slapping him across the face, then Lascelles was trying to hit him back but was held back. They weren't thumping each other.

They reckon so:

The midfielder became involved as Lascelles and Diame swapped insults before squaring up to each other during a fiery session.

Lascelles repeatedly called Diame “lazy” as the club attempted to keep players motivated during the two-week international window.

Diame, who retired from Senegal duty in March, responded with an insult and the pair then started thumping each other.

As Shelvey tried to break it up, he got caught in the flurry of punches and believes he fractured his left hand.

The England international immediately went for treatment and will be monitored before his team’s clash at Southampton next Sunday.

Rafa Benitez’s side have made a decent start to the season and went into the break ninth in the Premier League.

The Spanish boss is well known for encouraging feisty training sessions — but did not expect this one to turn into a brawl.

Meh. Nohing story.

:thup:

Imagine busts ups and training ground arguments happen pretty regularly at most clubs. Obviously a slow news day so trying to milk the story as much as possible.

Guest firetotheworks

I know no one likes Diame and probably agrees with Lascelles like, but I'm not sure that's a good way for him to go on, like.

The story is he called him lazy and Diame slapped him. Diame is well out of order for not being able to take being told without wanting to get physical.

He's well out of order for slapping. This is the North East, slaps are for girls.

Lascelles impressed Rafa from pulling up players more senior than him for lack of effort. He is obviously in his role as captain tasked with maintaining standards.

However I will add that I'm not sure being confrontational etc works for all players, some will respond to it, others won't. It doesn't strike me as hugely healthy to isolate and alienate players, but what turns me moderately sympathetic is that Diame has never delivered on his talent and appears to have been happily coasting.