Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Nah, disagree with neesy.  Senior players have a significant role to play in maintaining standards.

This.

Shearer was respected but probably never went after his own players.

Gillespie?  Bellamy?

:lol: aye he sparked Gillespie out iirc

Yeah Shearer was an odd choice like :lol:

Go on Jamaal.

Helping to clear out the club of arseholes from within. Always speaks his mind and no doubt Diame is a lazy useless prick.

I’m not sure it’s entirely laziness, I think his legs have gone.

As someone on here put it much to my ongoing amusement, we now have Diame’s corpse playing for us.  :lol:

Nah, disagree with neesy.  Senior players have a significant role to play in maintaining standards.

This.

Shearer was respected but probably never went after his own players. Dyer/Bowyer happened on his watch..

Two best captains in the PL over last few decades have been Keane and Vieira, different styles off the pitch but both true leaders on it. Lascelles seems to be more of the Keane type in taking on people.

How many titles did Man Utd win off the back of those players being terrified of messing up?

Towards the end of Keegans reign as manager we went on a 7 match winless run during which after one game Shearer called out Ginola in the changing room resulting in Ginola having Shearer by the throat up against the changing room wall.

This.

Shearer was respected but probably never went after his own players. Dyer/Bowyer happened on his watch..

Two best captains in the PL over last few decades have been Keane and Vieira, different styles off the pitch but both true leaders on it. Lascelles seems to be more of the Keane type in taking on people.

How many titles did Man Utd win off the back of those players being terrified of messing up?

Towards the end of Keegans reign as manager we went on a 7 match winless run during which after one game Shearer called out Ginola in the changing room resulting in Ginola having Shearer by the throat up against the changing room wall.

I'd believe that, I can imagine Ginola being quite a psycho.

Guest neesy111

This.

Couldn't be further from the truth....

Shearer had Bellamy by the throat on a few occasions, also forgetting he chinned Keith Gillespie in public....

Mind you, I don't know how Shearer didn't go on a killing spree with the twats he played with under Bobby.

He did knock Keith Gillespie out, and got his own way when his pal kenny dalglish arrived and moved on Ginola who shearer didnt like and big Les so he was the main man.

Mind you, I don't know how Shearer didn't go on a killing spree with the t***s he played with under Bobby.

He did knock Keith Gillespie out, and got his own way when his pal kenny dalglish arrived and moved on Ginola who shearer didnt like and big Les so he was the main man.

Christ man. ;D

Mind you, I don't know how Shearer didn't go on a killing spree with the twats he played with under Bobby.

He does talk about alot of that stuff here.

Mind you, I don't know how Shearer didn't go on a killing spree with the t***s he played with under Bobby.

not sure on the ginola thing, but shearer clearly says he didnt want ferdinand to leave.

not sure on the ginola thing, but shearer clearly says he didnt want ferdinand to leave.

What Shearer says in public isn't necessarily the same as what he feels privately. My impression was always that Shearer didn't really enjoy playing with Ferdinand, possibly they occupied the same space. Dalglish was big mates with Shearer and Ferdinand left soon after he arrived as manager. I think that says plenty.

Personally think that's a load of rubbish.  Ferdinand was sold to fund other transfers.

Agree - playing alongside another decent striker always brought out the best in Shearer - either scoring for himself or setting up his partner (See Sutton, and Sheringham).

It was always said the reason Ferdinand was sold was due to the club (PLC) being offered £6m (their money back and a book balancer) on an ageing player/asset.

What Shearer says in public isn't necessarily the same as what he feels privately. My impression was always that Shearer didn't really enjoy playing with Ferdinand, possibly they occupied the same space. Dalglish was big mates with Shearer and Ferdinand left soon after he arrived as manager. I think that says plenty.

he couldn't say more the opposite in the interview like, i cant remember, but he may even name ferdinand as his best ever strike partner.

he couldn't say more the opposite in the interview like, i cant remember, but he may even name ferdinand as his best ever strike partner.

It's just an impression I had, the two never seemed to say much in public about each other at the time, it always gave me the impression that they had a sort of rivalry. Plus I don't think Les was too happy at Shearer taking his no 9 shirt, although he accepted it.

Seems like your basing that off a massive amount of assumptions, Tron.

It was a long time ago, might have got the wrong end of the stick altogether tbf, seems like Mighty Mag also was under the same impression by the looks of it.