Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I love that this guy hasn't just waltzed straight back into the team. One of the biggest things Rafa has done is create a competitive environment where nobody is guaranteed a spot.

Part of that is down to the players not being that great to start with. Shelvey has a great eye for a pass, but he's not great when we don't have the ball. If he was I think he'd be in for Hayden.

Yeah but they weren't that great under Pardew, McClaren or Charver either but they rarely dropped the 'purples'.

It's the sense of entitlement he seems to have knocked out of them, which is admirable.

I love that this guy hasn't just waltzed straight back into the team. One of the biggest things Rafa has done is create a competitive environment where nobody is guaranteed a spot.

Part of that is down to the players not being that great to start with. Shelvey has a great eye for a pass, but he's not great when we don't have the ball. If he was I think he'd be in for Hayden.

Yeah but they weren't that great under Pardew, McClaren or Charver either but they rarely dropped the 'purples'.

It's the sense of entitlement he seems to have knocked out of them, which is admirable.

Oh definitely, I think Rafa is probably one of the most ruthless managers in English football when it comes to performance related appearances. He's made a big thing about wanting depth in his squad for precisely that reason. I don't think he gives a toss about dropping his own signings never mind fan favourites or local heroes.

Yep, we've just won 3 PL games in a row without (more or less) Shelvey and Gayle. Seemed  unthinkable last season.

We proved on many occasions it wasn't possible!

We've played very well last few games but I wouldn't get too excited yet. The liverpool game will be very interesting

Are you saying we should be judged on how we do against Liverpool rather than the type of teams we've played recently?  If so i'd disagree.  We need to beat the teams at the bottom and the middle of the league to achieve our goal so i'd rather we did that.  There's nothing more frustrating than having a team that loses to s*** sides but then decides to turn it on against the so-called big clubs.  And we've had a fair few teams like that to be fair.

No not exactly. I agree with you though and don't get me wrong, so far, so good.

I just think the last 3 teams were really poor on the day, coupled with us playing well on the day. I don't expect us to beat liverpool, but if we compete and don't get embarrassed then really bodes well for rest of season

Ok fair points mate, i can't argue our opponents haven't looked poor, but maybe we made them look poor just as much as they did themselves?  :lol:

I won't be that concerned about the Liverpool result, they can be devastating when they click.  I'm sure they scored 6 at Citeh a couple of years ago and 5 against another top team not long after.  Having said that it would be nice to give them a good game and prove we can live with the best sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Just openly blames himself for us losing the Spurs game. :lol: Says we probably would have got something from it.

Makes an important point about the competition in the squad being much higher this season than last, obviously because of the signings but also because there's more training and fewer matches. :thup:

Guest Howaythetoon

Thought he could have done better with their goal, but was very disciplined today and played really well.