Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Said it before, there's no English player better than him in the middle when he's bothered. Should be a regular starter for England now. He's the player that actually would make all our pace-for-brains forwards actually dangerous.

Keep proving me right, Jonjo :)

Much better than I was expecting off the ball. Apply himself like that every game and i'll be a fan.

Felt he was a bit slow closing down Coutinho mind.

He wasn't slow closing him down at all. He was thrown by the drop of the shoulder, like most players are when Coutinho gets in those positions.

You'd be happy with any player taking a shot from that distance, even an in form Coutinho. Even the very best players score that 1 in 20.

Shelvey was brilliant yesterday. Him and Merino could be great.

Guest Howaythetoon

I particularly liked his clearance off the line and at one point he was chasing his man back and for a moment I thought he was going to swipe his legs away, but he checked himself and thought better of it. If we are to play Shelvey and Merino together we need a powerhouse in there just to sit. I don't think Hayden is that man. Get that kind of player in and it could work with Atsu and Ritchie wide, but we would then need a much better all round CF up front with Shelvey effectively becoming our 10 or playmaker replacing Perez.

DO you always have to play with a purely defensively minded player? We just went up against one of the most potent attacking forces in the league and didn't have that much bother without a pure DM on the pitch.

Guest Howaythetoon

DO you always have to play with a purely defensively minded player? We just went up against one of the most potent attacking forces in the league and didn't have that much bother without a pure DM on the pitch.

It's more about allowing the creative players to stamp their own authority on the game rather than having them do the donkey or defensive work which then limits our own attacking game. Him and Merino sat too deep and that meant Joselu and Perez were often isolated. Ritchie got ample space and had to play the ball back to Shelvey when he should be playing it sideways or forwards but he and Merino were often way back protecting that defence. Put a powerhouse DCM in there to just sit and protect all game long would free up Shelvey and co who I just don't trust defensively, not so much in terms of position, but rash challenges. I would drop Perez and play Hayden, Shelvey and Merino with Ritchie and Atsu wide and Joselu up top. Free up Shelvey who seems more mobile this season.

I get what you're saying but I feel like that just isolates Joselu more, in reality. If Merino continues to impress defensively, I would love to have a dynamic player like him playing a more reserved role.

My main problem is that Shelvey likes to play this 'quarterback' role, without being particularly defensively minded, meaning our midfield is always pretty deep even if we have a DM playing.

Merino and Shelvey with a someone else behind them will not work, which is why Rafa hasn't tried Hayden with them.

They are two players who have good technique and good-great passers but are not comfortable in the final third. Seriously look at the positions they take up, once they get 30 yards from goal they just stop and all that would happen is the striker gets massively isolated as we struggle to maintain any sort of pressure.

I know everyone wants solutions to our lack of offensive output, but realistically we just don't have the personnel atm and there's no amount of positional/tactical fix to these problems.

I was actually quite positive about Merino-Shelvey yesterday on the whole, there were times where i thought there was too much space between them but that's not something which can't be fixed with more games. Plus only really City exploit space better tbh, so i think we can use the partnership against most teams.

Guest Howaythetoon

Valid points both of yous. It really is pointing to us needing a dynamic 10/playmaker to link everything up as you say they play deep anyway regardless of a DCM behind them.

Valid points both of yous. It really is pointing to us needing a dynamic 10/playmaker to link everything up as you say they play deep anyway regardless of a DCM behind them.

Aye, we really need to improve how we impose ourselves in the final 3rd. Almost non-existent centrally.

Was chatting with a Liverpool fan at work about the game. He said the game illustrated why he was annoyed to let Shelvey go, as Henderson is meant to link their play together but is pretty average, passing sideways a lot.

Makes you wonder if Shelvey in the England squad last night would have been more useful. Obviously he needs to keep his head on his shoulders and work hard.

Was chatting with a Liverpool fan at work about the game. He said the game illustrated why he was annoyed to let Shelvey go, as Henderson is meant to link their play together but is pretty average, passing sideways a lot.

Makes you wonder if Shelvey in the England squad last night would have been more useful. Obviously he needs to keep his head on his shoulders and work hard.

Shelvey is one of the most creatively effective English midfielders around, I don't think there's any doubt about the fact personally. Could only really argue that Lallana, Alli & at a push Barkley are more creative but they're also more advanced players. Dier is good but is defensive-minded. Henderson just doesn't have the passing range and instinct the same as Jonjo. Livermore/Delph don't come close. Oxlade-Chamberlain fancies himself as a CM but has never been trusted there by his managers so mustn't be suited there for whatever reason.

Shelvey would make England a better team.

He's keeping the shape out of Possession a lot better nowadays too. His temper might not have settled down, but he's more switched on tactically then he was when he signed, and he's fitter. Wouldn't say he's -that- good, but no one who plays deep in midfield and is English is very good.