Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Back to Shelvey, I think Rafa had high hopes for him this season and wanted to make him an integral part of the team, but that red card against Spurs probably was the last straw. If he could do that, how can he be relied on to build a team around?

I just think he lacks stamina. That video of him with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath when he was at Swansea - I've seen him looking like that after an hour for us as well. We definitely need to go back to a three man midfield again, don't think Merino's a lot better in that regard.

Guest Howaythetoon

Back to Shelvey, I think Rafa had high hopes for him this season and wanted to make him an integral part of the team, but that red card against Spurs probably was the last straw. If he could do that, how can he be relied on to build a team around?

I just think he lacks stamina. That video of him with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath when he was at Swansea - I've seen him looking like that after an hour for us as well. We definitely need to go back to a three man midfield again, don't think Merino's a lot better in that regard.

You right about his lack of stamina, it’s very noticeable. I don’t think there is anything that can be done about that, you either have it or you don’t.

You right about his lack of stamina, it’s very noticeable. I don’t think there is anything that can be done about that, you either have it or you don’t.

Fair to say then, he probably looks a lot better when we are sitting deep and he can play at his own pace? You can understand why he would be decent in a typical Rafa line up usually. I say usually because we haven't played a typical Rafa line up for the last few games.

We need him, we wouldn't get a more game-changing player in his position for less than £25 million. He can win matches but first he needs to play matches. I want to see us revert back to 4231 with Gayle leading the line, and Shelvey really trying to make the most of his runs. I'd say we have about 5 players with match-winning quality in the whole squad and those are definitely two of them.

We can’t play 433 our attack would be so isolated as we would have no one to link the play.

Sure we can play Joselu or Mitrovic but given we don’t dominate possession we would end up getting pinned back with two strikers who lack mobility and Gayle who can’t really hold the ball up or play with his back to goal.

If we had say Gray up front we could get away with a 433 as he has pace and can play with his back to goal.

Please try to consider how these systems play out when being critical of the manager as it will help you understand his decision making.

We can’t play 433 our attack would be so isolated as we would have no one to link the play.

Sure we can play Joselu or Mitrovic but given we don’t dominate possession we would end up getting pinned back with two strikers who lack mobility and Gayle who can’t really hold the ball up or play with his back to goal.

If we had say Gray up front we could get away with a 433 as he has pace and can play with his back to goal.

Please try to consider how these systems play out when being critical of the manager as it will help you understand his decision making.

I know what you're saying, but I'm glad we don't have Gray upfront, he's not very good. He actually has less goals than Joselu in the league this season.