Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I think he's a good egg deep down, Shelvey. He just can't control his temper and I'm sure he'll go through the 'Spurs cycle' at least once more in his career. Doesn't mean he isn't a huge asset for us though; he has been since the moment we got relegated and he decided he wanted to fight for us.

He has to be on the teamsheet for me. Really looking forward to seeing his relationship with Merino get stronger and I do reckon he'll make the England squad next summer; even though you always feel like you're walking on a tightrope in terms of his temperament.

Incidentally, just watched that Dyer/Bellamy interview as a suggested link. Fucking hell, what an utter spenk Dyer is. Painfully thick.

I think he's a good egg deep down, Shelvey. He just can't control his temper and I'm sure he'll go through the 'Spurs cycle' at least once more in his career. Doesn't mean he isn't a huge asset for us though; he has been since the moment we got relegated and he decided he wanted to fight for us.

He has to be on the teamsheet for me. Really looking forward to seeing his relationship with Merino get stronger and I do reckon he'll make the England squad next summer; even though you always feel like you're walking on a tightrope in terms of his temperament.

Incidentally, just watched that Dyer/Bellamy interview as a suggested link. Fucking hell, what an utter spenk Dyer is. Painfully thick.

I agree with this. People sometimes forget how important he was for us last season. Even now I'm the top flight we are much better with him in the side and that would be even more evident if we had a half decent striker.

Don't like his reaction when we lose the ball and teams can counter us. Think he pulled a strop before the Liverpool goal and he did the same today when Perez lost it.

Neither he or Diame bothered to get back when Perez lost the ball. While the Burnley CM's pressed ahead. Lazy shit from the both of them.

This is fair. Something Rafa must address. Far often we don't support the player who loses the ball in midfield.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised it hasn't been commented on yet, did anyone else notice how knackered Jonjo was with still a quarter of the game to go against Bournemouth? Their midfielders were running passed him and he could barely raise a trot. I know he's not the most mobile, but he really seemed to stuggle in the latter stages of this game.

Perhaps that's why he's getting nowhere near the England squad?

Surprised it hasn't been commented on yet, did anyone else notice how knackered Jonjo was with still a quarter of the game to go against Bournemouth? Their midfielders were running passed him and he could barely raise a trot. I know he's not the most mobile, but he really seemed to stuggle in the latter stages of this game.

Perhaps that's why he's getting nowhere near the England squad?

Might just need to get smarter about when to run about and when not to, if he's not a natural athlete he'll need to be more measured with his pressing in the first half.

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t help but feel we really lack stability when we play with him in a “2”

He’s positional poor and doesn’t track runners well at all.

This is putting aside his mindless tackle which he got booked for.

I totally agree.

I think he has talent, but doesn't have the intelligence required to be a top player. When we're in possession, he is basically static and asking for the ball, and doesn't make any forward runs to help the team.....thats probably why he rarely scores for us compared to the likes of Lee & Speed. When we don't have the ball, he is too slow to win it back and easily bypassed, and like you say, he is guilty of not picking up his runner quite often.

Asides from his performances/abilities, he's an utter shithouse of a person and was very surprised and disappointed to see him as captain yesterday. Would upgrade at the first opportunity in all honesty.

I just don't rate him highly. He positioning is poor, his discipline is poor, his athleticism is poor and he's not a leader.

His short range passing is ok, as is his set pieces but nothing spectacular. Of course his long range passing is very good but we have no pace or movement in our side to exploit it.

Him getting suspended also resulted in better performances from us.