Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

He doesn't looks interested imo and hasn't found any form.  Has he even assisted a goal the season? I can't think of any.

Was a stupid tackle to get sent off - the players was going no where.

He assisted the equaliser against Liverpool. That perfectly weighted ball through their defence, which Joselu did his best to screw up. I agree with what you're saying though.

I don't think there's a problem with Shelvey. He needs players in front of him with a bit more confidence making better runs & more often. We are very static up top, both Joselu & Gayle are guilty of that, so we can't expect Shelvey to find the killer ball when it's simply not there to be played. Put him in a team with better attackers and he assists plenty, put him in a squad void of confidence like ours and it's asking too much of one player unfortunately. With that considered, he should be one of the last players we should be looking to move on.

Other than passing (mainly over distance), what’s he good at?

Shooting, set pieces.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/006/026/NOTSUREIF.jpg

I mean he's no superstar but he can hit a football.

5 goals in 70 appearances for us, all in the championship.  Terrible for a midfielder.

I don't think he actually runs hard enough to get into goal scoring positions. He's the modern day Richard O'Brien.

I don't think there's a problem with Shelvey. He needs players in front of him with a bit more confidence making better runs & more often. We are very static up top, both Joselu & Gayle are guilty of that, so we can't expect Shelvey to find the killer ball when it's simply not there to be played. Put him in a team with better attackers and he assists plenty, put him in a squad void of confidence like ours and it's asking too much of one player unfortunately. With that considered, he should be one of the last players we should be looking to move on.

Should be one of the first.  Massive wages.  Perhaps high sell-on value. Not rated at that level by Rafa.

I think its the same problem we have seen with Shelvey last time we were in the PL. He's shite in a team on the back foot. When we're dominating teams, and he's got plenty of options going forward then he's class. If we're having a go at teams he's able to pick passes at will and has the space and time to play balls through then he shines. However if we're looking to hit teams on the break, defending and transitioning from defence to attack with pace, looking to catch teams out he's fairly useless. Can't cover much ground and press players, doesnt drive forward and get into goal scoring positions and isnt great defensively. While he's not a luxury player, he doesn't really fit in at the moment.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s the ultimate luxury player. Space, time, freedom of the park - he looks good. Remove all of that and what you have is a very very average footballer at this level. Even when he looks good, he’s not exactly creating and scoring to any great extent to justify him as a PL level footballer of note. That said, he’s in the top 5 of our best players behind Lascelles, Merino, Gayle and Atsu. Hardly an endorsement mind as I’d class only Lascelles and Merino as genuine top half PL quality players. His biggest problem outside of his stupidity is his lack of stamina and discipline. He’s in arguably the most difficult and most important part of the pitch and sometimes it’s as if he’s not even on the pitch especially off the ball. On it, for all his long range passing and how good he can look on the ball, again he rarely hurts a team or dictates a game enough to be called a top player. If we could get a few quid for him I’d get shot in an instant.

I don't wanna rip into the side tonight given the context but I'm sick of this lad offering absolutely nowt game after game. Of the entire squad he's arguably the one with the most skill and raw ability - I still believe that - and certainly one with some of the most PL experience, but he's just shown absolutely nowt this year. Two red cards, minimal effort and nothing positive. Pants.

Knew he'd quickly become the one singled out for slating this year when its not going well.

Yep, rightly so. :thup: Hasn't given us anywhere near enough considering he's one of the better footballers in the side. Others in the side are doing their best but they're just gash. Shelvey's got it in him to make it into the England side, but he doesn't make the right decisions anywhere often enough and he's a liability from a discipline point of view.

He improved in the second half tonight, mind you, and I'd keep him in the side going forward. He and Merino are technically the two best players in the side and I still think they're our best chance at formulating a midfield that's creative and retains possession.

Guest Howaythetoon

No red card, but he’s just not good enough, but then I could say that about most. He was disciplined and did a job Rafa obviously wanted from him so...