Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

On 27/02/2022 at 10:46, madras said:

Totally agree about the red mist and I posted similar earlier, don't get the immobile bit though, goes against what I've actually watched. He even looks to have more pace making it appear that it wasn't lack of pace but lack of defensive thought that let opposition players run off him.

He's more mobile than he was, but he's never going to be top class level just because he is limited there. I don't know what the stats will say, but I bet he doesn't win the ball from the opposition much compared to Joelinton or Willock, simply because they can close down players quicker. Shelvey is more a defensive tackler where he drops deep and blocks rather than push forward and dispossess the opposition.

That said, it's not the worst thing as he plays deeper anyway, but you have to think Bruno will be better because he will press more aggressively.

Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to Shelvey but I don't get the sense that he'll relapse and do something stupid in the way it's regularly suggested on here.

To me it feels like Howe's got him consistently not doing the things he was criticised for - laziness, not tracking back, stamina, rash challenges. He's been putting the work in since Brentford in November. That's more than just a phase imo. He got a yellow for a foul against Everton, but I think it was definitely just a yellow only and no more rash than Schar's foul in the same game.

Maybe it's naïve, but I don't get the sense of it only being a matter of time like I did with Joey Barton for example. 

I'm inclined to agree. It's not something we'll ever know, but I do wonder how much of his apathy to the situation was rooted in knowing he could always leave.

West Ham felt like an obvious destination, while I'm sure someone would take a chance, even if it meant a drop in money. If estimates are right he's made close to £20m on wages while he's been here. It's not like he needed to think about money, if anything he could chase his joy a bit when leaving. I think the quotes that came out recently were telling. I think he actually sees a positive future for himself. He knows if we stay up he'll be replaced fairly quickly, but I think he's happy to hang around and be part of the 'project'. 

Always going to look bad against Brighton, their whole team can pass, move and control passes. 

I think they basically had a 6 man midfield with their fullbacks constantly pushed forward, we struggled to cope with it. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

He will be infinitely more effective against teams that don't play with such high intensity both in pressing and moving the ball around like your Burnleys and West Hams. He will do better against Southampton if he starts, but I'd prefer to see Bruno start ahead of him.

Yeah the game passed him by , time for Bruno to give Shelvey notice that he needs to be on it 100% every game .

He’s played well to be fair the last few games .

I would still keep him, the balance of the midfield looks great and all three  weren't at their best today, but hopefully that can change vs Southampton. as much as i'm excited to see more of Bruno we haven't lost a single game all year in the league so no need to change things and put more pressure on him.

Still think he's got something to offer a club on the up, personally. The issue with him is that he has shown to be very quick in downing tools when the going gets tough and therefore we should have no hesitation when it comes to upgrading, hopefully this summer.

Thought he was passed round and bypassed with ease. 

Shelvey’s lack of mobility got dreadfully exposed yesterday. Joelinton is better without the ball. Willock started well and then got worse and kept wasting promising positions and misplacing passes. Which is the opposite way round for him! He is not the best in possession, either. Unless he is driving forward. 

As good as the midfield 3 have been. It still feels like we lack control in there. Still not sure who drops out, probably Willock. But I’d rather leave him in to support the attack and replace Shelvey.