Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I'm really uncertain about this one. Certainly Anita, Colback, and Tiote don't possess his long-range passing ability, and he has a decent shot from outside the area, although my understanding is that since being moved back into the centre of midfield, he has played around the same number of games and scored the same number of goals as Colback. He is big and physical, but Swansea fans seem critical of his defensive contribution, and he was being called out for laziness by Monk over a year ago.

Is long passing a vital component missing from our attack? Would we be better instead with someone who presses and can play quick short balls through the midfield to Wijnaldum and Sissoko? My inclination is the latter. Maybe Saivet is tidy and energetic and can complement Shelvey well, but I really don't want to see some arrogant lug constantly playing Hollywood balls, taking long shots, and shouting at more hardworking teammates. I guess I'm cautiously pessimistic about the transfer.

That will have to change. Can't say I've noticed it when he's played against us, but a central midfielder has to be prepared to put his foot in, and I'd be disappointed if we bought him if he's not prepared to roll his sleeves up.

He'll enjoy the new pastures, he clearly grew disillusioned and it seems like McClaren is going to make him a crucial part of the midfield and the way we play, which for any young player with ambition will be well received. I think he'll do well here, for some odd reason, and think he'll love playing in front of the crowd at St James Park

He'll enjoy the new pastures, he clearly grew disillusioned and it seems like McClaren is going to make him a crucial part of the midfield and the way we play, which for any young player with ambition will be well received. I think he'll do well here, for some odd reason, and think he'll love playing in front of the crowd at St James Park

My main worry is how long any new mentality lasts at NUFC, it's not the easiest place to make a fresh start.

I'd send De Jong on loan personally. Wijnaldum, Perez and Thauvin can all play off the striker. He'd be better off getting some playing time.

Given the massive depth that our squad possesses and our great injury record I'd say that was daft.

Hopefully we can start experimenting with our midfield a bit now, switch the likes of Shelvey, Sissoko, Thauvin, De Jong, Wiljnaldum, Perez around a bit and see what fits. If Saivet is a beast then you pretty much disregard every system we've been trying for the past 6 months.

I'd send De Jong on loan personally. Wijnaldum, Perez and Thauvin can all play off the striker. He'd be better off getting some playing time.

Given the massive depth that our squad possesses and our great injury record I'd say that was daft.

Don't see how. It's the position we're most stocked with and he's currently behind Wijnaldum and Perez surely?

Can't see how he's going to get on the pitch.

Is it even possible to put together a Colback highlight reel?

He's in Jonjo's highlights reel. Gets to within about 5 yards of him before the ball is gone and he's left staring at space.

Don't see how. It's the position we're most stocked with and he's currently behind Wijnaldum and Perez surely?

Can't see how he's going to get on the pitch.

We're an injury to Mitrovic or Perez away from him starting whilst Cisse is out. For whatever reason McClaren doesn't seem to think Thauvin is ready to start and Aarons is a mile away from starting. McClaren has shown before that if he's going to change things with one of the front two he rates De Jong.

Moves forwards with the ball quickly, doesn't look scared to take people on and will actually attempt to put the ball around/through/over players. It's nothing ground breaking but I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that, in most of those situations, Colback dallies on the ball before playing the pass he should have made 4 seconds ago/turns and gives it to a defender/isn't even on the ball as he's standing next to their strikers for some reason.

Moves forwards with the ball quickly, doesn't look scared to take people on and will actually attempt to put the ball around/through/over players. It's nothing ground breaking but I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that, in most of those situations, Colback dallies on the ball before playing the pass he should have made 4 seconds ago/turns and gives it to a defender/isn't even on the ball as he's standing next to their strikers for some reason.

He looks great on the ball, my only concern will be his work rate. Will he run off the ball or is he one of those players who only wakes up when the ball lands at his feet?

He looks great on the ball, my only concern will be his work rate. Will he run off the ball or is he one of those players who only wakes up when the ball lands at his feet?

Well let's hope the Matuidi comparisons ( even if it's just in energy levels) are true with Saivet then.