Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

I'm really uncertain about this one. Certainly Anita, Colback, and Tiote don't possess his long-range passing ability, and he has a decent shot from outside the area, although my understanding is that since being moved back into the centre of midfield, he has played around the same number of games and scored the same number of goals as Colback. He is big and physical, but Swansea fans seem critical of his defensive contribution, and he was being called out for laziness by Monk over a year ago.

Is long passing a vital component missing from our attack? Would we be better instead with someone who presses and can play quick short balls through the midfield to Wijnaldum and Sissoko? My inclination is the latter. Maybe Saivet is tidy and energetic and can complement Shelvey well, but I really don't want to see some arrogant lug constantly playing Hollywood balls, taking long shots, and shouting at more hardworking teammates. I guess I'm cautiously pessimistic about the transfer.

i see it as the opposite, albeit from a very hopeful perspective, in that having someone with a range of passing will perhaps finally break the pardew stranglehold on the players that has meant no fucker has ran off the ball for years so we rarely get in behind teams

get janmaat, sissoko, wijnaldum and perez making runs for shelvey to pick out and we could look like a very different team indeed, in theory

:smugdog:

Valencia was milking it for all it was worth also, pretty sure from the replay the arm never even reached his face.

Indeed, was looking for that on the replay. No contact with the face at all... But of course that's the first thing Valencia went for.

It didn't look that serious, but what Shelvey needs to realise is that he's now playing for a higher-profile club. The media wouldn't be paying any attention to that incident if he was still at Swansea, but our trials and tribulations make news, and they will try to blow things up.

Valencia was milking it for all it was worth also, pretty sure from the replay the arm never even reached his face.

Indeed, was looking for that on the replay. No contact with the face at all... But of course that's the first thing Valencia went for.

It didn't look that serious, but what Shelvey needs to realise is that he's now playing for a higher-profile club. The media wouldn't be paying any attention to that incident if he was still at Swansea, but our trials and tribulations make news, and they will try to blow things up.

Howay man, it's not like he was excessively celebrating or anything.

It was basically nothing, but he shouldn't have done it.

He needs to stop acting like a prick in situations like that

Do you reckon he will be in the next England squad? Has to be in with a shout, if Hodgson picked him in the last one.

Would be nice to have some interest in an England game.

I think he may well end up in the squad for the Euros. Would be nice to have a lad involved.

That was a very competent debut.

Delicious passes to set up the goals.

Let's hope he keeps playing at this standard. For gods sake keep him away from our medical staff.

Im only repeating what has already been said but my days, that ball to Janmaat was unbelievable. So refreshing for both goals to see him pick the ball up and be positive and look forward and to initiate things.

That first touch from Janmaat into space behind the defender was lush too. He used to do that regularly when he first arrived but we've not seen it so much for a while now.

Im only repeating what has already been said but my days, that ball to Janmaat was unbelievable. So refreshing for both goals to see him pick the ball up and be positive and look forward and to initiate things.

That first touch from Janmaat into space behind the defender was lush too. He used to do that regularly when he first arrived but we've not seen it so much for a while now.

That's been a little bit overlooked by pundits, it's a fantastic touch, sets up the cross to perfection.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/georginio-wijnaldum-jonjo-shelvey-brings-10747690

Georginio Wijnaldum believes Jonjo Shelvey “brings football” to the Newcastle United side because he sees everything out on the pitch.

The £12million January signing from Swansea City enjoyed an inspired Magpies debut at St James’ Park on Saturday, controlling the game and playing a key role in both Newcastle goals in a much-needed 2-1 victory over West Ham United.

For Newcastle’s opener, Shelvey fed the ball into Wijnaldum on the edge of the box, and the Dutchman laid it off for Ayoze Perez to curl into the bottom corner from 18 yards.

But his contribution for the second was even more impressive.

Picking the ball up in his own half, Shelvey saw Daryl Janmaat making a run down the right-hand side and pinged an inch-perfect 60-yard cross-field ball to the full-back. Janmaat controlled it brilliantly, centred to Wijnaldum, who finished off a wonderful team goal.

And Wijnaldum – who grabbed his ninth of the season on Saturday – believes Shelvey has already made a big difference to the Magpies side due to his vision and range of passing.

“He brings football,” Wijnaldum replied when asked what he thought Shelvey added to the side.

“What you can see in the first goal, the other players were really close but he still found me between the lines.

“I just popped off the ball for Ayoze to shoot.

“The second goal his pass to Daryl was magnificent. That is something that we need.

“We can use a player like him.

“We already know he is a good player because I played against him.

“We are all happy he is here because he can bring more football to the team.”

Not only does Wijnaldum believe Shelvey has added a new dimension to Newcastle’s play, the £14.5million summer signing also admits he finds it more enjoyable with the England international in the side.

Shelvey’s arrival has also given the whole side a confidence boost too, insists the Dutch international.

“Yeah it’s really enjoyable (playing with Shelvey)” the 25-year-old said.

“You know he sees everything. You don’t even have to look behind you and he will find you. He gives confidence to the players and to me.

“The first goal we made I stood there and expected him to find me and he did. I trusted him. I am happy with him.”