Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I know that we will have taken a financial hit from being relegated, but where have the profits gone that the club made from the previous few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McClaren spent about 80mill in 2 transfer windows didn't he?

Tell your something mind, I'm a little worried about the phrase Ashley won't spend big on players until we're back in the premier league. If we f*** this up we could be here for a while.

Thing is though, unless we were cash rich, then how many teams can sustain spending 'big' on players at this level if they aren't getting promoted?

Last summer we made the biggest 2 signings at this level I believe (Gayle and Ritchie @ c. £12m each), and if we don't go up this season, I think we'd struggle to do that next summer. It suspect it would have to be more modest squad additions.

The way the club does its sales deals doesn't help though, in that we don't have the sissoko money to spend, but maybe just the first installment.

Hence why they are hoping to do the Townsend deal as a loan, and then if we get promoted, the permanent fee wont be an issue/risk.

The club gambled quite heavily(by its standards)in 1979/80 in an effort to gain promotion...we brought Hibbitt back(he was still only 30)and had signed Peter Withe from Notts Forest among others...we failed to make it, falling away at the end of the season.

This heralded a period of utter mediocrity until Arthur Cox came in on 1981 but we still failed to get promotion until 1984 in KKs second season as a player with us - we had signed Beardsley(1983) and Waddle(1980) but it still took KK and Terry Mac returning to get us out of the Second tier.

If we fail to go up this time, there is every chance that this scenario could be repeated because we will start losing our best players.

I hope everyone at the club realises this but I won't hold my breath....

Of all our summer exits, his was the most disappointing. I was in two minds when he left. It hurt because he was the one player I didn't want us to lose at the time - he'd been one of our best players and had given his all. Having signed so recently in January and having waited his whole career to get a run, he seemed to have found a home and I genuinely thought he might stay on. Once a Premier League club came in and triggered the release clause though, I'd say most players would have left too.

Townsend made a dumb decision to go to Pardew's Palace and we all knew it at the time. They'd been statistically the worst team in England all year. You'd think he surely knows he made the wrong decision now. Rejecting him out of stubborn pride would be cutting our nose off to spite our face. He didn't down tools like Cabaye or whore himself around like Sissoko or act unprofessionally in any way - he was simply offered an opportunity for a club in a higher division and took it.

If we have an opportunity to sign him, it's a no brainer. He's shown he can follow Rafa's instructions and fit very well into his system at Premier League level. It's as low-risk a signing as we are going to get and we don't exactly have a string of deals lined up for Premier League-ready players.

Best summation I've seen. Certainly more thought provoking than 'He can fuck right off.'

I'd be happy if we got him back on loan. I wouldn't be happy to pay back the £13m we got for him. He's not done very well at Crystal Palace therefore his transfer value should have depreciated (in the same way his transfer value appreciated after he did well at NUFC).

couldn't give a shit about the money, not sure why anyone could.

will he improve us? yes (imo) so whether its £13m or £10m or £8m makes not a jot of difference to us fans while it is mike ashleys nufc.

I'd be happy if we got him back on loan. I wouldn't be happy to pay back the £13m we got for him. He's not done very well at Crystal Palace therefore his transfer value should have depreciated (in the same way his transfer value appreciated after he did well at NUFC).

According to one of the reports posted yesterday, Palace still owe us £3m of the original transfer - so that would be used/considered as the 'loan fee' now, and we'd pay them the £10m difference in the summer if we go up/have obligation to keep him.

couldn't give a shit about the money, not sure why anyone could.

will he improve us? yes (imo) so whether its £13m or £10m or £8m makes not a jot of difference to us fans while it is mike ashleys nufc.

I can when said money can be used toward buying someone else in the Summer. Mike Ashley's NUFC has a finite amount of transfer money. Of course we want to get the best deal possible when buying players.

The fact is Townsend's stock should have fallen based on his time at Crystal Palace. If Palace want to sell him, either find another team to pay £13m for him where he's happy to go to or loan him to NUFC and we'll see if we want to buy him in the Summer.

I'd rather loan players in this transfer window. Hopefully we'll be promoted as we'll then be able to attract better players.

According to one of the reports posted yesterday, Palace still owe us £3m of the original transfer - so that would be used as the 'loan fee' now, and we'd pay them the £10m difference in the summer if we go up/have obligation to keep him.

Yes, that's what I read and that would mean giving Palace their £13m back.

None of the promoted teams signed a better winger than Andros.  We haven't had a better wide forward/winger since Hatem. We won't sign better for the money unless it's some type of master stroke.

Big Sam apparently would sell Benteke too.  His a idiot.  This a good opportunity to buy a PL proven player for us. 

No way would I want to repay the 13M fee but I would be happy to repay the 13M fee to Palace that we sold him for minus a "loan fee" for losing him from our squad for 6 months.

This deal should cost Palace some money, especially as his form has dipped since we last had him in Black and White

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk