Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

c*** never learns if it's true he's refusing to release funds until we're back in the prem.

We spent a lot of money on squad & backup players in the summer, now we can't afford first teamers who'll make a difference in the title race.

I think funds will be released for the right deal, but I don't think the club is particularly trying to find that deal, more waiting for it to land at their doorsteps and have a nibble.

We didn't spend a lot in the summer though. We made a £30 mil profit !!

It's not as simple as that though, we've been relegated and taking huge losses on income while outcome stays the same. When you factor we sell in instalments and buy up front, signing on fees, player % of sales etc...it's clearly not £30m profit.

The loss come into play until the end of this season though right? Even then, the first parachute payment isn't a million miles from what we'd have got last year (I think). Clearly therell be a loss in other revenue but if we go back up first time I'm sure the hit isn't too bad. Or I might be talking shite.

TBH I haven't got a clue when the money comes in, I'd imagine though you get your money at the start of each season in advance or promoted clubs won't be able to spend until they are potentially relegated again.

Why are we so apparently set on a loan deal anyway?

Because promotion isn't nailed on, neither is him performing and I guess if we can get a loan we keep whatever funds we do have if someone else comes up before deadline day.

It's smart business imho, I don't think the manager will have too much of a problem. Should a concrete transfer offer come in from Boro then that would change things.

c*** never learns if it's true he's refusing to release funds until we're back in the prem.

We spent a lot of money on squad & backup players in the summer, now we can't afford first teamers who'll make a difference in the title race.

I think funds will be released for the right deal, but I don't think the club is particularly trying to find that deal, more waiting for it to land at their doorsteps and have a nibble.

It's not as simple as that though, we've been relegated and taking huge losses on income while outcome stays the same. When you factor we sell in instalments and buy up front, signing on fees, player % of sales etc...it's clearly not £30m profit.

The loss come into play until the end of this season though right? Even then, the first parachute payment isn't a million miles from what we'd have got last year (I think). Clearly therell be a loss in other revenue but if we go back up first time I'm sure the hit isn't too bad. Or I might be talking s****.

TBH I haven't got a clue when the money comes in, I'd imagine though you get your money at the start of each season in advance or promoted clubs won't be able to spend until they are potentially relegated again.

Pretty sure it's at the end but could be wrong.

Because promotion isn't nailed on, neither is him performing and I guess if we can get a loan we keep whatever funds we do have if someone else comes up before deadline day.

It's smart business imho, I don't think the manager will have too much of a problem. Should a concrete transfer offer come in from Boro then that would change things.

Then if he does perform Palace can just tell us to fuck off and take him back in the summer. Rather just buy him tbh

Guest neesy111

The loss come into play until the end of this season though right? Even then, the first parachute payment isn't a million miles from what we'd have got last year (I think). Clearly therell be a loss in other revenue but if we go back up first time I'm sure the hit isn't too bad. Or I might be talking s****.

Pretty sure it's at the end but could be wrong.

It is.  That is why we need Ashley's £33m loan to bridge the gap between now and end of the season.

The outgoings don't stay the same because we sold players on extremely high wages whilst bringing in players on much lower wages.

We're also bringing in more matchday income due to having more supporters through the door, factor in the extra income we've also received from the cup matches we've played at home in comparison to last season. Ticket sales and the retail sales. We'll have also have sold more club shirts this season as the design is less shit and kids don't have the Wonga logo anymore.

Also the player sales, parachute payments etc. etc.

It's not as simple as you're making out, whilst we are definitely worse off in this position it is nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

Guest neesy111

I'm surprised quite a few people thought we would have a good transfer budget for this window, it's basically a cliff you face when being relegated even with the parachute payments.

Then if he does perform Palace can just tell us to f*** off and take him back in the summer. Rather just buy him tbh

Pretty much every article says we would have an option to buy or obligation to buy (should we get promoted) if we loan him

If Townsend came back it would be nice (and probably ingratiate himself more with some of the less welcoming fans) if he admitted he was wrong to leave for Palace.

Of all our summer exits, his was the most disappointing. I was in two minds when he left. It hurt because he was the one player I didn't want us to lose at the time - he'd been one of our best players and had given his all. Having signed so recently in January and having waited his whole career to get a run, he seemed to have found a home and I genuinely thought he might stay on. Once a Premier League club came in and triggered the release clause though, I'd say most players would have left too.

Townsend made a dumb decision to go to Pardew's Palace and we all knew it at the time. They'd been statistically the worst team in England all year. You'd think he surely knows he made the wrong decision now. Rejecting him out of stubborn pride would be cutting our nose off to spite our face. He didn't down tools like Cabaye or whore himself around like Sissoko or act unprofessionally in any way - he was simply offered an opportunity for a club in a higher division and took it.

If we have an opportunity to sign him, it's a no brainer. He's shown he can follow Rafa's instructions and fit very well into his system at Premier League level. It's as low-risk a signing as we are going to get and we don't exactly have a string of deals lined up for Premier League-ready players.

I know that we will have taken a financial hit from being relegated, but where have the profits gone that the club made from the previous few years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McClaren spent about 80mill in 2 transfer windows didn't he?

Tell your something mind, I'm a little worried about the phrase Ashley won't spend big on players until we're back in the premier league. If we fuck this up we could be here for a while.

We let a busted flush like McClaren spend 80 million and heads didn't roll.

Mike really does love his yes men.

The useless mcclaren was in charge then, but how much of that 80 mil was down to him? We may never know but it looked like those deals were already in place/being pursued before he took the <whiny voice> "head coach" role.

It looked like it was the Carr/Charnley combination of spunking money against the wall against people who clearly didn't want to come (eg thauvin).

I think Andros would be good for us though. He was decent in the premier league last season for us (under Rafa) and i'd like to have some excitement on the wings rather than having "Alright Backup I Suppose" Gouffran play.

Think we might get him near the end of the window. No use for big Fat Sam to keep an unhappy player and if the last choice for him is to loan Townsend now and get guaranteed money at the end of the season, he'd probably take it.