Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

giggs?

I've read this multiple times and still can't tell what he actually meant to say.

I guess hes saying Townsend jumped ship when we went down ,and now hes thinks he's doing the same to Palace... then calls him a lightweight player.... I think.

Thought it odd that a chairman appeared to be calling out one of their players like that, but had forgotten this spiv didn't own them anymore.

Certain that i'm reading too much into it but after the rumours last week, I hope this isn't the start of going after the cheap option & Rafa not getting the players he wants due to a power struggle.

Rafa ain't desperate for the job, like the last 3 clowns were, so if it is the case we'll soon find out because he won't be hanging around for long.

More in hope than belief, I am thinking Rafa/we could be playing CPFC/Fat Sam/& AT by lining up and being seen to pursue an alternative (meh). Can't imagine the former two having any motivation to do us a reasonable deal and the latter (though I would be delighted to have him back) has probably got an overinflated sense of his own value. If we can get him for what's he's worth (relative to others) then great; welcome to centre stage. If not, then he can fuck off and wallow in the shadows.

It's probably our brinkmanship tactics which is how we've generally operated under Ashley. Paid off with deals like Sissoko and Carroll, but has cost us dear ending transfer windows without what we need. The philosohpy seems to be we either get a good deal or nothing at all. It's one of the reasons we are where we are - we are prepared to walk away and take the gamble.

It seems that Townsend wants to hedge his bets by leaving on a loan deal, but that's no good to Palace. They need to sell him so that they can use the fee to get a replacement.

This lad never seems to settle anywhere.

Even if we paid 12 Million for him it would be good value considering what other players who would perform similarly in the Championship would cost. He would probably be as if not more effective in this league than say knockaert but he would cost us 15 Million plus. I still don't think we will get him as someone in the Premiership will take him but if we get the chance we definately should.

Personally, I quite like the idea of Townsend on the right and Ritchie at #10, still leaving the problem of who is on the left, of course...

Every time a winger gets a few goals, somebody somewhere suggests him in a central role even when he blatantly doesn't suit it. This is a good example of that.

Whislt there is some merit to what you say, the fact is that Rafa played him at #10 on the weekend after Lazaar came on.

Ritchie played on the right for 63 minutes, then when Ameobi came on he switched to the left for the next 11 minutes until Lazaar came on, at which point he played the last 16 minutes in the hole. Rafa wanted to play him there - he pushed Perez up front to accommodate it - and so it's not unreasonable to posit that the option exists in Benitez's mind.

To suggest that "he blatantly doesn't suit" the role is a furphy. It's not his natural position, but neither is playing Ritchie or Townsend on the left.

Not sure if true, but someone told me Palace demand 3m loan fees.

Makes sense given they owe us 3mill this month.

We should just accept and pay the them the remaining in 10 in the summer given its highly likely we will go up.

It's a risk but seems short sighted not to given a player of his ability would make promotion pretty secure.

Still say he needs us more than we need him. He's not getting in their starting XI, his team are in the relegation zone and the Palace fans don't like him. If he stays there I'd say there's more chance of him being a Championship player in the summer than if he joins us this month so if he'll only move on a loan deal he's cutting his nose off to spite his face.

Anyway I'd rather we concentrated on improving things in the centre of the pitch. Colback and Hayden showed themselves as hopelessly inadequate to step up to the plate in Shelveys absence and that needs addressing more urgently than signing a wide player which can wait until the summer. A creative central midfielder should be our priority.

£3Mil to loan a player who's out of favour for half a season? I'm not surprised this deal hasn't gone through!

That £3 million would surely come of the price tag if we signed him permanently in the summer?

I don't think Ashley will see it that way. £3Mil for 5 months, for a player they don't want, and we don't really need is insane.

£3Mil to loan a player who's out of favour for half a season? I'm not surprised this deal hasn't gone through!

That £3 million would surely come of the price tag if we signed him permanently in the summer?

I don't think Ashley will see it that way. £3Mil for 5 months, for a player they don't want, and we don't really need is insane.

Disagree with us not needing him tbh, we are absolutely desperate for a winger.