Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He hasn't played in a first team match since 22nd October, and that was in the Europa League. His last start before that was 23rd September in the League Cup. He hasn't started a Premier League match since last season; 11th April.

Even ignoring his ropey stats, I think expecting him to come in and have an instant impact on our relegation battle is probably asking a bit much.

He might not be sharp, but he will come in fresh, energetic and enthusiastic with a point to prove /devilsadvocate

Or out of touch, unfit and out of form. Which do you reckon is most likely?

Just looking over our transfer history from the past 3 years.

Townsend (£14m?), Mitrovic (£13m), Thauvin (£13m + £7m Cabella!), Shelvey (£12m), De Jong (£6m), Anita (£6m), Riviere (£5m), Ferreyra (£1.4m loan fee!), LDJ (£1.1m loan fee)

We've overspent massively on all them players in my opinion. Granted the 2 loan deals won't have broken the bank but what was the point in paying £1.4m for a player who was never going to make an appearance for the club and £1.1m for a player who was constantly played out of position?! For a chairman who is supposed to be frugal with his money he's wasted an canny load on absolute duds. £14m for Townsend just seems ridiculously overpriced for his goals/assists over recent seasons, we could pick up a better player for half the price :idiot2:

Course we didn't pay £13m + Cabella for Thauvin..

What? He'll have been training and has actually been playing regular football as opposed to just sitting on the bench.

We see plenty of player move from the U-21s or the stiffs straight into the 1st team and be absolutely fine. They don't just play on swings 'n that.

Nope, roundabouts too. Cracking for the calves.

Good thing is that we've had decent luck with players with receding hairlines. Hope he continues the trend.

:lol: shame about the managers. Our best have had a fine ahead of hair! (Gordon Lee and Steve McClaren on naughty list ... Arthur Cox, damn! I've sunk my theory before it has left Swan Hunters...)

I would have took a punt on that Gray from Blues, was only 3.7m with the release clause, 19 and likely to get better. Played plenty of games as well.

Unlikely to improve us short term and we already have a very promising 20 year old in Rolando Aarons.

Just looking over our transfer history from the past 3 years.

Townsend (£14m?), Mitrovic (£13m), Thauvin (£13m + £7m Cabella!), Shelvey (£12m), De Jong (£6m), Anita (£6m), Riviere (£5m), Ferreyra (£1.4m loan fee!), LDJ (£1.1m loan fee)

We've overspent massively on all them players in my opinion. Granted the 2 loan deals won't have broken the bank but what was the point in paying £1.4m for a player who was never going to make an appearance for the club and £1.1m for a player who was constantly played out of position?! For a chairman who is supposed to be frugal with his money he's wasted an canny load on absolute duds. £14m for Townsend just seems ridiculously overpriced for his goals/assists over recent seasons, we could pick up a better player for half the price :idiot2:

In one way you could look at it as a positive that we are spending big money promising talent. But the reality is that it can be a massive waste of money on players who have no pedigree at the top level. We would have been a lot better off paying what it took to get Lacazette in at the first time of asking for example rather than waste £20m on players who have turned out to be expensive substitutes.

I would have took a punt on that Gray from Blues, was only 3.7m with the release clause, 19 and likely to get better. Played plenty of games as well.

Unlikely to improve us short term and we already have a very promising 20 year old in Rolando Aarons.

The Aarons hype on here is baffling at times.

Agreed, I think Thauvins performance against Northampton showed more promise than anything Arrons has produced so far.

You're missing my point though, surely any signings we make now should be able to improve the team instantly.

Mitrovic

Perez

Wijnaldum

Townsend                                Sissoko

Shelvey

Could that work?

Don't think Shelvey can do enough defensively. We'd get bossed in midfield.

Perez is going to get fucked over isn't he? I'll quit my straw clutching now...

Perez is already getting fucked over by being asked to play on the left wing. He's a withdrawn striker or number 10 by nature, but he's not going to get in the side ahead of Wijnaldum in that position. It's a shame really, we've got three class players who can play off a centre forward in Perez, Gini and de Jong. Wish we had that quality in other areas of the pitch.

You're missing my point though, surely any signings we make now should be able to improve the team instantly.

If things ever made sense. How much confidence do you have in penfold & co not to come out of a barrel of tits sucking their thumbs?