PLEASE ALL READ: Forum donations

Dave

:morph:

Due to the contributions of a few mentals very generous people we've been able to get through the last couple of years without having to ask the rest of you for donations. I've been asking them privately if they'd be willing to chip in again and they've kindly done so. Unfortunately it's always run at a loss (as in it costs more to run than comes in) and we're now at the point at which we need to ask the open forum for donations again. It's not fair to keep asking the same people over and over.

I never like doing this but needs must. Nobody has to give anything, and there are no prizes or special treatment for anyone that decides to do so. There's no lower or upper limit, but every single penny is hugely appreciated.

If you would like to donate, the easiest way is via PayPal. They take their cut of course (about 5%), but that's not a problem.

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

The other way - which avoids any fees but takes more effort - is by sending me a PM to request the forum's bank details and sending a donation directly. If you decide to use either method, feel free to drop a note in to confirm your username. I lose track of IRL names. :laugh:

As ever, many thanks to anyone who chooses to donate. If you don't, no bother at all. :thup:

Cheers.

FAQs

Q. How much does it cost to run the server for N-O?

A. £79.01 per month, plus annual fees for the domain etc.

Q. Why not get advertising on the forum?

A. No. Not happening, ever. Stop asking.

Q. Who deals with the money?

A. Me. This place has its own bank account and everything is linked to that.

Q. Do I have to donate?

A. Absolutely not, this is completely optional.

Q. How much should I donate?

A. As little or as much as you like. Every little helps, and we fully appreciate any donation.

Added a little (very little, all I had in my rarely used paypal account). I feel this could/should have been open all along. I'm sure people would be willing to help

The donations address for PayPal has always been active, I just haven't needed to push it for a few years now. As mentioned, we've been leaning on a number of regulars but it's only fair to give them a break.

I remember this being one of the April's Fool jokes, to the extent that the website was shut down for a few hours and sent a few peeps into meltdown. :lol:

Too early for a similar stunt obv. Will see what little I can do later when I have more time in the day.

That seems a bit pricey - dedicated server?

Yeah, we've had one for years now. During matches the load gets pretty high, one of our previous hosters (when we had a lower spec) actually registered on here to try and diagnose why it kept going down at weekends. IIRC he said how we use it is ridiculous and completely unsuited to this forum software etc. :lol:

That seems a bit pricey - dedicated server?

Yeah, we've had one for years now. During matches the load gets pretty high, one of our previous hosters (when we had a lower spec) actually registered on here to try and diagnose why it kept going down at weekends. IIRC he said how we use it is ridiculous and completely unsuited to this forum software etc. [emoji38]

I will donate today. Could you not move to cloud like Azure or AWS? Not sure if running 24 hr may make it more expensive.

What sort of resources you got on server ?

Bump this thread on 1st of Feb please Dave and I would be happy to donate.

As an alternative have you considered asking for standing orders. I for one would be happy to pay £2 a month, find another 40 like me, then that is your monthly costs sorted at a more sustainable rate.

Guest firetotheworks

I'll put in £30 at the weekend. I'd happily pay a few quid a month as well if that's something that all of us can do.