Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Some interesting bits from an article in the Chronicle this morning. Rafa getting stuck in straight away. Such a great manager man.

Rafa Benitez wants the majority of his Newcastle United recruits signed up by the start of pre-season – just as they were last summer.

Benitez is once again foregoing a summer break in order to rebuild his Newcastle United squad. Where previous managers were happy to let events take care of themselves when it comes to recruitment, Benitez wants to force the issue and there is no sign of his remarkable relentlessness receding.

Benitez was on Tyneside last week detailing minor tweaks that he wants at the training ground. Last summer, of course, he ordered structural changes in order to freshen up the environment the players were operating in and he’s asking for similar this season. He wants additional space in the player’s area and believes these Magpie marginal gains will again help create the sense of a club moving forward every close season.

The truth is Benitez and his staff have hit the phones since promotion was assured and are carrying out extensive groundwork in assembling a list of players they think can add quality to Newcastle’s squad in the coming weeks and months.

Make no mistake, Benitez is spinning plenty of plates as he bids to make the high calibre additions that will lift both Newcastle’s level and send a message to the players that there is work to do if they’re going to manage the serious step-up in quality that promotion brings.

Newcastle have struck up a fine relationship with Chelsea, where Benitez used to work, and are in prime position to land any one of the high calibre players they are prepared to loan out this summer. Tammy Abraham is one, with Chelsea keen to send him out on a season-long loan to a Premier League club next season. But another worth watching is Kurt Zouma – a player Newcastle tried to sign when he was in Ligue 1. He has pace, ability to play from the back and composure on the ball – all high on Benitez’s check-list as he considers the next recruitment move.

What is striking is the amount of leg work Benitez and his team are carrying out. Background checks are being made on plenty of players and many of those linked HAVE been on Benitez’s radar.

He will also look to exploit contract clauses and any situation where the hand of selling clubs might be forced by a player’s reluctance to commit to a new deal. Burnley’s Andre Gray and Fulham’s Tom Cairney are both understood to be keen on a move to Newcastle.

Benitez is in a rush to get things sorted as soon as possible. He wants pre-season to be as intense and important as it was last season, when he laid the groundwork for a long and gruelling campaign on two-a-days at United’s Benton training base in the weeks before the campaign began.

He wants his summer signings to play a key role next season so it makes sense that United are keen to get them bedded in as soon as possible. Benitez would be entitled to take a break after a long and hard season, just as his predecessors were. But the message from the manager’s office is the sooner the better as Benitez refuses to rest on his laurels.

My obsession with the club has come back with a bang since he took over.

I can't stress how cynical I'd become with year on year of utter shite and shite peddlers associated with the club. It was like a bad relationship that was soon to end.

This is like Keegan except less on emotion and more on reason.

Benitez didn't stay at this club to manage a mid table side. He means business.

Zouma? Nah. No. Nar. No way man.

Still healthily sceptical about it all but sounds good.

I don't believe it but Zouma would be amazing. Might get some goals from centre back :lol: Hopefully the camera cuts to Pardew crying when it happens. Not getting carried away or owt :shifty:

The difference between Rafa, staying here to sort his plans and personnel for next season, and Pardew who would be mincing around the nightclubs of Puerto Banus with his gang of arseholes is unreal.

We've struck gold here.

What a breath of fresh air he is after so long. Just breaths football. Kinda feel sorry for his family though, prolly thought they may get a few weeks of holiday after he won the league  :lol:

If his family is supportive of his work, and they know they'll get some vacation time maybe just before the players return for pre-season, then by all means, I hope he works his cute spanish ass off.

I can't stress how cynical I'd become with year on year of utter shite and shite peddlers associated with the club. It was like a bad relationship that was soon to end.

Bang on. I'm under no illusions about us winning anything or challenging any time soon, but the simple fact is that we COULD do those things. They are possible again, for the first time in absolutely ages. Feels like the club is going in the right direction.

It's fucking great.

Bang on. I'm under no illusions about us winning anything or challenging any time soon, but the simple fact is that we COULD do those things. They are possible again, for the first time in absolutely ages. Feels like the club is going in the right direction.

It's fucking great.

:thup:.

It's so comforting knowing that Rafa's got this.

I've got no expectations in terms of where we'll finish or whatever but just the fact that we'll be ran by a qualifed, experienced, genuine football man is fantastic.

In Rafa we trust.

I hope he gets a rest at some point, and I really hope he's looking after his health and family together with running the club pretty much year round.

He's doing what he loves doing and probably doesn't need a rest.

It's fucking great.

:thup:.

It's so comforting knowing that Rafa's got this.

I've got no expectations in terms of where we'll finish or whatever but just the fact that we'll be ran by a qualifed, experienced, genuine football man is fantastic.

In Rafa we trust.

Spot on. We could finish14th next season and I'd be okay with, simply because I know that Rafa will be looking to build year on year. If he's here in two years time we will be pushing top six I reckon.

Zuma, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. :pedro:

One of Neil Young's better albums, though he was in the middle of his pretty pissed off phase. Could be the crooked SAF President that should have been locked up. Now Kurt Zouma, he would be a signing.