Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Hughton didn't get Norwich promoted. He did pretty much take them down, though.

Nice man but I wouldn't mention him in the same breath as the likes of Bobby.

Ian, we agree. :thup:

Forgot you had your weird disdain for Hughton. That was when you were a Chelsea fan wasn't it?

Seems that list of players away on international duty I posted earlier in the week was missing a lot of players (I got it off nufc.com who have since updated their list). Quite a few players away which won't help our cause.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-players-away-international-11084634

Aleksandar Mitrovic - Serbia

Wednesday 23 - Poland (away) - friendly

Tuesday 29 - Estonia (away) - friendly

Chancel Mbemba - DR Congo

Saturday 26 - Angola (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Angola (away) - AFCON qualifier

Seydou Doumbia - Ivory Coast

Friday 25 - Sudan (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Sudan (away) - AFCON qualifier

Henri Saivet - Senegal

Saturday 26 - Niger (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Niger (away) - AFCON qualifier

Georginio Wijnaldum - Netherlands

Friday 25 - France (home) - friendly

Tuesday 29 - England (away) - friendly - ITV, 7.45pm kick-off

Moussa Sissoko - France

Friday 25 - Holland (away) - friendly

Wednesday 30 - Russia (home) - friendly

Rob Elliot - Ireland

Friday 25 - Switzerland (home) - friendly - Premier Sports, 7.45pm kick-off

Tuesday 29 - Slovakia (home) - friendly - Premier Sports, 7.45pm kick-off

Rolando Aarons - England U21s

Saturday 26 - Switzerland (away) - U21 Euro 2017 qualifier - BT Sport Europe, 5.45pm kick-off

Alex Gilliead - England U20s

Sunday 27 - Canada (home) - friendly

Adam Armstrong and Freddie Woodman - England U19s

Thursday 24 - Georgia (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Saturday 26 - Greece (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Spain (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Kyle Cameron - Scotland U19s

Wednesday 23 - Belgium (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Friday 25 - Croatia (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Monday 28 - Bulgaria (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Forgot you had your weird disdain for Hughton. That was when you were a Chelsea fan wasn't it?

:lol:

:papiss:

Stating facts and the blatantly obvious constitutes disdain now? :lol:

:lol:

Hughton was an absolutely perfect fit at the time. He had the best squad in the league by a long shot, but that didn't mean we were guaranteed promotion. We had brilliant team spirit and he was hugely responsible for that.

I don't really get the love for Hughton, although I agree he seems a nice bloke and he was mistreated by Ashley. Then again, he would never have been near the Newcastle job under a normal owner and he didn't do anything particularly special.

He gave us a promotion winning season, a great season in many respects. We came up and thrashed Villa, the mackems, beat Arsenal away. He got a side of misfits performing in Barton, Nolan, Carroll etc. Howay, nice bloke or not, he did a fucking great job here on a par with any given the circumstances. After the 6-1 to LO many were predicting a Portsmouth scenario or worse. He ranks 3rd to KK and Sir Bobby for me as our best ever managers since Joe Harvey.

Yep he did a really excellent job and somehow managed to have the club constantly going in the right direction despite the cunts he worked for. I think a lot of that is to do with the kind of character he is like you say, demands respect and most of the fans could appreciate that. For me, the sacking of Hughton was the worst decision made in Ashley's entire reign here, was incredibly out of order and all because he had outgrown them and pissed them off. I really can't understand fans thinking he didn't do a very special job considering what we all know about the club. He was sacked before Norwich went down btw, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/norwich-city/10814907/Norwich-City-pay-the-price-for-sacking-of-Chris-Hughton.html. They were still 5 clear of relegation.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't really get the love for Hughton, although I agree he seems a nice bloke and he was mistreated by Ashley. Then again, he would never have been near the Newcastle job under a normal owner and he didn't do anything particularly special.

He gave us a promotion winning season, a great season in many respects. We came up and thrashed Villa, the mackems, beat Arsenal away. He got a side of misfits performing in Barton, Nolan, Carroll etc. Howay, nice bloke or not, he did a f***ing great job here on a par with any given the circumstances. After the 6-1 to LO many were predicting a Portsmouth scenario or worse. He ranks 3rd to KK and Sir Bobby for me as our best ever managers since Joe Harvey.

Yep he did a really excellent job and somehow managed to have the club constantly going in the right direction despite the c***s he worked for. I think a lot of that is to do with the kind of character he is like you say, demands respect and most of the fans could appreciate that. For me, the sacking of Hughton was the worst decision made in Ashley's entire reign here, was incredibly out of order and all because he had outgrown them and p*ssed them off. I really can't understand fans thinking he didn't do a very special job considering what we all know about the club. He was sacked before Norwich went down btw, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/norwich-city/10814907/Norwich-City-pay-the-price-for-sacking-of-Chris-Hughton.html. They were still 5 clear of relegation.

Exactly and fucking hell I didn't know he was sacked before they went down, 5 points clear as well. We would kill for that right now. His sacking was the worst decision and his appointment the best. Ironically we now find ourselves going back to where we were when he was appointed. We should never of sacked him. We would be a comfortable PL side easily, ala Everon or someone.

It's worth remembering Hughton got sacked for not being a yes man, more than we can say about the guys who followed him until Rafa signed on. In many ways I'm glad he was sacked while his stock was still high here because that means he'll always be remembered fondly. I think he had his limitations as a manager, but compared to the appointments that followed he's like Bobby Robson. I thought we were pretty well organised under him really.

Forget about the results for a moment which were pretty good all things considered, but I thought one of his major strengths was how he handled the media. Never gave away too much but always kept his cool while maintaining his dignity. He handled the Carroll/Taylor bust up expertly. Look at what we have had since. Pardew calling a respected international manager an old cunt, Carver offering to fight his own fans, and McClaren smiling and laughing like a wet fart while a Sky reporter took the piss by holding an umbrella during the interview.

I wouldn't call the Sunderland result a good one.  They're a terrible team and we should have beaten them handily.  Kirchoff was the difference for them and we really should have brought an extra body into the midfield when it became obvious we were getting killed there.  Gini pushing forward was leaving Shelvey way too deep and all by himself, an extra midfielder would have allowed him to get forward and influence the game a bit more while also nullifying Kirchof's influence.

Ronaldo still desperate to stick the boot into Hughton. :lol:

So pathetic.

The 'boot in' is pointing out he didn't get Norwich up? Man you're such a soft pedantic shite.

For the record: the best thing I can say about Chris Hughton is he's a top bloke, he did a fine job with us in the Championship, I was happy when he was confirmed permanently in October '09, I wasn't happy about his sacking and he'd obviously be preferable to the likes of Carver, Pardew and McClaren. The worst thing I can say is that he isn't a Premier League manager. He isn't. I hope this is the last time this crap gets brought up because it isn't really worth any discussion. It's fairly obvious what brackets Chris Hughton fit in, both in terms of our history and as a coach.

Seems that list of players away on international duty I posted earlier in the week was missing a lot of players (I got it off nufc.com who have since updated their list). Quite a few players away which won't help our cause.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-players-away-international-11084634

Aleksandar Mitrovic - Serbia

Wednesday 23 - Poland (away) - friendly

Tuesday 29 - Estonia (away) - friendly

Chancel Mbemba - DR Congo

Saturday 26 - Angola (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Angola (away) - AFCON qualifier

Seydou Doumbia - Ivory Coast

Friday 25 - Sudan (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Sudan (away) - AFCON qualifier

Henri Saivet - Senegal

Saturday 26 - Niger (home) - AFCON qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Niger (away) - AFCON qualifier

Georginio Wijnaldum - Netherlands

Friday 25 - France (home) - friendly

Tuesday 29 - England (away) - friendly - ITV, 7.45pm kick-off

Moussa Sissoko - France

Friday 25 - Holland (away) - friendly

Wednesday 30 - Russia (home) - friendly

Rob Elliot - Ireland

Friday 25 - Switzerland (home) - friendly - Premier Sports, 7.45pm kick-off

Tuesday 29 - Slovakia (home) - friendly - Premier Sports, 7.45pm kick-off

Rolando Aarons - England U21s

Saturday 26 - Switzerland (away) - U21 Euro 2017 qualifier - BT Sport Europe, 5.45pm kick-off

Alex Gilliead - England U20s

Sunday 27 - Canada (home) - friendly

Adam Armstrong and Freddie Woodman - England U19s

Thursday 24 - Georgia (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Saturday 26 - Greece (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Tuesday 29 - Spain (in Spain) - Euro qualifier

Kyle Cameron - Scotland U19s

Wednesday 23 - Belgium (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Friday 25 - Croatia (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Monday 28 - Bulgaria (in Croatia) - Euro qualifier

Only about four of them are relevant though.

It's worth remembering Hughton got sacked for not being a yes man, more than we can say about the guys who followed him until Rafa signed on.

Rafa slagging off the (shitty) owners in public is what led to his leaving LFC. Might not get on like a house on fire with Ashley.

OTOH, he did work for that Perez maniac at Real Madrid.

Assume Rafa knows what he's in for, and also that Charnley is willing to do what he says. Could go wrong like obviously.

Ironically I can remember Hughton getting called a yes man when he was appointed.

He said he spoke to Shearer before taking it on so you'd think so.

We must stop up!

Newcastle United are in a desperate state, but hope remains - and his name is Rafa Benitez

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-desperate-state-hope-11094729#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Sounds so much more promising - this bit is especially encouraging:

The sight of Cheick Tiote running around tirelessly and putting in challenge after challenge was one we have not been treated to often enough on matchdays in recent months, nevermind on the training field.

Siem de Jong also looked fit and sharp, as did the likes of Jonjo Shelvey and Papiss Cisse.

I'm convinced that Rafa is going to keep us up, everything about him is positive and it will rub off on others and we simply couldn't be in better hands.  He can take the club to heights that we haven't been to for a long time and the club will appear to be a professional outfit once again.  All we need to do is back him 100% and let him get on with his job, it isn't rocket science and the pricks who run our club have fallen on their feet this time.

We must stop up!

Newcastle United are in a desperate state, but hope remains - and his name is Rafa Benitez

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-desperate-state-hope-11094729#ICID=ios_ChronicleNewsApp_AppShare_Click_Other

Sounds so much more promising - this bit is especially encouraging:

The sight of Cheick Tiote running around tirelessly and putting in challenge after challenge was one we have not been treated to often enough on matchdays in recent months, nevermind on the training field.

Siem de Jong also looked fit and sharp, as did the likes of Jonjo Shelvey and Papiss Cisse.

A fit and focused Tiote would be a help in a relegation battle, we know what he's prone to and his limitations but he will at least add  balance to the midfield. 

God if Tiote is back to play alongside Shelvey, that will help the others to focus on attacking. I'm sure Rafa can fix the defence. It's up front that I'm worried about. Most important thing is we need to score first to let us build on the momentum. Concede first and we'll be chasing an equaliser all game long.

Everytime I open this thread it contains some link or story about rafa which impresses me more and more. The man is an absolute gift from the football God's and it will be a sad sad day when he leaves the club.