Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Hasn't Rafa pretty much said we'll know in a couple of weeks?

Sure he said a maximum of a couple of weeks.

Hopefully these talks will go well, and we'll hear what we want to hear a lot sooner.

This is the biggest decision in Mike Ashley's entire tenure at the club IMO. It's a chance to prove to everybody that he genuinely has the best interests of the football club and its future at heart if he agrees a deal with Rafa to let him have full control of exactly what a football manager should have. If this comes off (and he sticks to his word) I will quite happily see this as Ashley finally admitting the error of his previous ways and turn over a new leaf with the supporters of the club.

It's win-win either way really, keep Rafa and you probably keep the majority of the squad who are actually worth keeping from someone who knows them already and is a top class proven manager to boot, we go on to piss the Championship (I do think it's an awful league) and immediately start challenging the top 10 with sound investment and a system the players have bought into, with the added confidence of winning games the season before and also younger players such as Mbemba, Lascelles and Mitro hugely improving (providing they stay). The better league positions, the more money we make. Get into Europe and go on a run, it's huge exposure for the NUFC brand and we can be recognised as a force once again. When Ashley first arrived he talked about a 5 year plan, it was all a crock of shit. He needs to agree to one this time with Rafa and stick to it and both sides will absolutely reap the rewards.

If they can't agree a deal with Rafa I truly worry for the future of the club. We'll undoubtedly lose any players worth keeping and will be left with a team where Colback will be amongst our best players. It'll be an exodus with nothing to save us given the U-18's and U-21's are fucking shite and are getting annihilated in their own respective leagues, so we don't even have potential to rely on, only loan signings and league-standard players. We'll likely get promoted but it'll be a battle and when we do go up we'll be straight back down again as clearly he still isn't learning his lesson.

The mind-body thing is a common Spanish idiom. It makes me feel he really fancies it. He's probably worried about his long term career and thus wants assurances about having a team he feels he can take back up at first chance of asking.

A more interesting poll would be to ask whether or not people want him to stay.

I'm fairly certain it'd be:

Yes: 149

No: 2

:lol:

I have a feeling there'd be a few more in the 'no' column than you'd expect.

The mind-body thing is a common Spanish idiom. It makes me feel he really fancies it. He's probably worried about his long term career and thus wants assurances about having a team he feels he can take back up at first chance of asking.

I like to think it means we're inside of him.

Surely a positive that Ashley has felt the need to speak with him personally and get this done, he left the appointment of McClaren solely to thumb.  It strikes me like the club are desperate for him to stay and will pull out the stops to make it happen.

I like to think it means we're inside of him.

Like the spirit of the nightman.

Why?

He obviously wants the stays and fancies the project. He isn't the type of guy to say so and fuck with the fans otherwise. It is entirely up to Ashley and Charnley to give him what he wants. If he wanted off he would have kept quiet and been far more coy.

Why?

I think there are a few who'd prefer to see him walk away/let go if it meant more fuel for AshleyOut.

That's not a value judgment, just a hunch.

its quite clear that if he doesn't stay it will be Ashley's decision.

you've got a top manager telling you basically that he's yours as long as the basics are in place.

no way can Ashley PR his way out of this one like they tried to do with keegan.