Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Actually think he'll get backed in the summer tbh.

So he will - but not anywhere near the extent he needs to be...as everyone will see.

what would you consider adequate backing in the summer out of interest?

There is no doubt in my mind that we need a minimum of FOUR top quality players...and I mean, top quality.

We will still not pull any trees up with 4 - we need a better No 10 as a priority and a LB is desperate for the PL...Gayle is still to be given a full test up front at the highest level and the jury is out until that happens but we def need either a target man or quality cover for him. A good flank player is also a must and I have doubts about our central defence in the PL...it hasn't looked great over the past few Champ games. All this - a bare min - is going to cost the club around 50m, just to get 4 reasonable PL players. To have any hope of top 10 you can add another 25-30m.

Now, I would like YOUR take on what is needed....

So he will - but not anywhere near the extent he needs to be...as everyone will see.

There is no doubt in my mind that we need a minimum of FOUR top quality players...and I mean, top quality.

We will still not pull any trees up with 4 - we need a better No 10 as a priority and a LB is desperate for the PL...Gayle is still to be given a full test up front at the highest level and the jury is out until that happens but we def need either a target man or quality cover for him. A good flank player is also a must and I have doubts about our central defence in the PL...it hasn't looked great over the past few Champ games. All this - a bare min - is going to cost the club around 50m, just to get 4 reasonable PL players. To have any hope of top 10 you can add another 25-30m.

All depends on what we're aiming for first season back up but for me financial backing in the region of £60-80m spent is required to get us in a position to compete and hopefully not have to worry too much about relegation.

Basically a quality CF, CM, CB and winger needed as an absolute minimum. First team quality starter players better than what we have. Add to that maybe some gambles, loans, free transfers or whatever and I'd be satisfied Rafa has been 'backed'.

Plus the ritual sacrifice of Colback of course.

we need rid of some shite, we need PL experience and big investment to finish 17th alone.

dream of nothing else IF we go up, even in one season we are so far behind its frightening, this current crop would get ripped apart week in week out.

anyhoo, i hate talk of what we need, worry about that when it happens ffs

Guest neesy111

Has Rafa ever picked the same team twice in a row?

Let's say he hasn't, I hope he doesn't start today doing it.

Last 2 league games has had the same team.

Has Rafa ever picked the same team twice in a row?

Let's say he hasn't, I hope he doesn't start today doing it.

he's done it very recent, keep up  [emoji38]

That wasn't my point. I was using Crumpys post to say I hope he doesn't select Wednesdays line up today. Didn't really need Columbo to deduce it either.

just find the concept of him requiring backing and what people expectations of that are interesting, often wonder if people think we're going to go and spend £150m on new players 'cause rafa's class

Nobody is that stupid. Commitments and promises need to be kept, and the manager communicated with honestly and openly.

That's it.

just find the concept of him requiring backing and what people expectations of that are interesting, often wonder if people think we're going to go and spend £150m on new players 'cause rafa's class

50m-60m net would be my guess, or much less and a last minute stitch up/ fall through if they are up to no good.

Nobody is that stupid. Commitments and promises need to be kept, and the manager communicated with honestly and openly.

That's it.

Not saying stupid like, people often have wildly different expectations is all

All depends on what we're aiming for first season back up but for me financial backing in the region of £60-80m spent is required to get us in a position to compete and hopefully not have to worry too much about relegation.

Basically a quality CF, CM, CB and winger needed as an absolute minimum. First team quality starter players better than what we have. Add to that maybe some gambles, loans, free transfers or whatever and I'd be satisfied Rafa has been 'backed'.

Plus the ritual sacrifice of Colback of course.

Agreed.

I don't think Rafa will be unrealistic, he will expect significant investment, but he will realise that we aren't likely to be pushing for Europe in our first season back. What he'll want is for us to be competitive in our first season with a view to challenging for honours within a couple of years. As long as he sees ( wait for it) ambition, he'll be relatively happy.

If I was him i'd walk now. Ashley and his wank stains will try and gloss over it by investing just not quite enough in the summer and keep that carrot dangling until next January. Then they'll pull the old not enough value in the January window card again.

If I was him i'd walk now. Ashley and his wank stains will try and gloss over it by investing just not quite enough in the summer and keep that carrot dangling until next January. Then they'll pull the old not enough value in the January window card again.

If he's going to walk it will be at the end of the season. He's not the type to leave a job half done. If he goes after getting us up, he'll leave with his image intact, or even enhanced.

If he's going to walk it will be at the end of the season. He's not the type to leave a job half done. If he goes after getting us up, he'll leave with his image intact, or even enhanced.

I agree. He'll try to get the assurances he wants between now and the summer, and if he doesn't get them that'll be it IMO.

Awestruck. After the press conference got lead to the back where we spoke to him. Soon as he saw me, he said, 'I need a striker'. Then called me Mitro the rest of the time. Spoke about the game in general, then when he was leaving for the radio interviews I blurted out something like, 'thanks for everything and for saving the club' as he was lead away. :lol: We thought it would be a quick photo and he'd be on his way, one of the most humble men I've met.