Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I thought we paid peanuts with heavily incentivized contracts tho? I thought Coloccini was the last one on zany wages. How can they be on unshiftable salaries?

I think there was a report of someone being offered to a French club and then when they went to negotiate, they were only on like 20k/week and the French club could only offer under 10k. So it's not like they're on "unshiftable" wages, they're just on wages much higher than they would normally be commanding on the continent.

Guest chopey

A lot of championship and foreign clubs are going to get a load of great bargains in the final week of the transfer window when premier league clubs get desperate to off load players and a lot of players are going to earn a fortune getting their contracts paid up

John Richardson saying Rafa's even more p*ssed than previously:

He also said we'd sign Grosicki.

Didn't realise it had already been posted. But tbd theres been a few deals supposedly lined up by Rafa that have then not been followed through on. Possible Grosiki could be the same? Also possible he's talking bollocks but i'd doubt that seeing as he does know Rafa well.

It was already reported by Caulkin that the Grosicki stuff is bollocks though, i don't particularly believe he knows anything tbh.

While it's obvious Rafa is frustrated i do feel it's not to the extent the media are playing it up to be.

I thought we paid peanuts with heavily incentivized contracts tho? I thought Coloccini was the last one on zany wages. How can they be on unshiftable salaries?

I think there was a report of someone being offered to a French club and then when they went to negotiate, they were only on like 20k/week and the French club could only offer under 10k. So it's not like they're on "unshiftable" wages, they're just on wages much higher than they would normally be commanding on the continent.

20k/week is above the average wage of the entire bottom half of La Liga, for example. Premier League wages are just on a different planet nowadays.

Thing is storming out now would hurt his reputation a bit I think, some chairmen would probably want to avoid the risk of that. However Rafa also knows that if he lets Ashley not sign anyone, he won't ever, Ashley likes his underlings fighting a bit sadly. It's a ludicrous situation as it's clear the issue is the fault of Ashley's trust in Graham Carr, he should see the problem as his own fault and not burden Rafa with paying for it through underperformance.

If we don't sign anyone else I think Rafa will struggle on enough to make clear that he was let down and leave the club later for another more ambitious premier league club who lose their manager mid season, his reputation enhanced for doing his best under a bad owner but knowing when to call it a day.

If Rafa goes because of this, it will be a massive blow, one final knife in the back from the ownership. It will be confirmation that until Ashley sells or dies, there is no hope and never will be.

This window has been an absolute joke so far, if we don't have a decent 'keeper and Lucas Perez by the end of the window it will be an absolute disaster that maybe even Rafa can't save us from.

pull yourself together man, the squad as it is will stay up no bother

Didn't realise it had already been posted. But tbd theres been a few deals supposedly lined up by Rafa that have then not been followed through on. Possible Grosiki could be the same? Also possible he's talking bollocks but i'd doubt that seeing as he does know Rafa well.

It was already reported by Caulkin that the Grosicki stuff is bollocks though, i don't particularly believe he knows anything tbh.

While it's obvious Rafa is frustrated i do feel it's not to the extent the media are playing it up to be.

I'm the same.

This window has been an absolute joke so far, if we don't have a decent 'keeper and Lucas Perez by the end of the window it will be an absolute disaster that maybe even Rafa can't save us from.

Without injuries to Gayle and Shelvey, maybe.

well i'll admit if we lost both for the majority of the season then it might be tricky but that's hard to see, we'll stay up no bother at all man

well i'll admit if we lost both for the majority of the season then it might be tricky but that's hard to see, we'll stay up no bother at all man

Have you always been this patronising? :lol:

nah i'm trying harder than normal today

not intended to be, just think talk of disaster if we don't sign a not prolific striker to replace our not prolific other striker is way ott

we've got goals throughout the squad now imo, and a gameplan to employ from a world class manager

we're cool, too much focus on the market atm for me

Yeah this is where I'm at with it as well. I think Rafa will want to stay for the fans and for the players he's brought in, even though he is probably getting pretty exasperated.

not intended to be, just think talk of disaster if we don't sign a not prolific striker to replace our not prolific other striker is way ott

we've got goals throughout the squad now imo, and a gameplan to employ from a world class manager

I'm still not sure if you're taking the piss or not, i'm confused :lol:

taking the piss about what?  i'm not...we've got fuck all else to do but focus on who we're not signing, my feeling is rafa will be enjoying watching things develop with the players he does have and while he's no doubt somewhat frustrated will probably be fine atm

liked what i saw yesterday, more movement and better implementation of the gameplan than last year albeit against garbage

taking the piss about what?  i'm not...we've got fuck all else to do but focus on who we're not signing, my feeling is rafa will be enjoying watching things develop with the players he does have and while he's no doubt somewhat frustrated will probably be fine atm

liked what i saw yesterday, more movement and better implementation of the gameplan than last year albeit against garbage

Some of you're posts kind of read as someone who was being condescending towards people with similar view points, as apparently you actually have. My bad. I actually agree with you. :lol:

John Richardson has been proven to talk utter shite like.

If there was anything in that, another (and credible) journalist would have ran the story by now. I fail to believe that Rafa is at breaking point and the only bloke who knows about it is John Richardson.

He's going to be undoubtedly frustrated, as we all are.

Mojo is spot on with his posts above.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think he will give it this season out of respect and loyalty to the fans, keep us up and then be off to some other club who has ambition.

Its like groundhog day at the club who are seemingly repeating the kind of mistakes that get you relegated or in serious trouble.

We have here a manager who is world-class, who if backed, can turn this club around into a serious contender. We had this to a degree with KK.

Unlike KK, however, Rafa will not just quit when things get tough, he will fight it. KK didn't because he didn't need it basically, Rafa does need NUFC clearly. Its his type of dream project. A big club with a big fan base who idolise him. Its his wet dream. But he won't win any war or any battle in the boardroom or with recruitment when it comes to how much we will spend, on what kind of players and what wages we will or wont pay. He may be able to bring a player of his own choice, but only if they match the price, age and wage structure in place.

And its this recruitment policy that has hamstrung this club and its managers since Ashley bought us. We go for players with semingly good potential, but at low cost and we then hand such players long-term lucrative contracts and its these type of players that don't make it and we then struggle to shift them on.

Now Rafa is having to do the same kind of recruitment, i.e. 3rd or 4th choice targets that cost little to basically replace the ones we are trying to peddle.

Only Rafa is a better coach and better judge of a player than Ashley's previous fuckwits in recruitment and the dugout so said players will probably do OK. But OK is simply not good enough for a man like Rafa, he demands the best and is ambitious and that costs money.

Its madness.

Rafa spend a lot of money last season and bought who he liked and look what happened, we won the league, smashed a few teams, scored goals, generally entertained and had a very successful season.

That is all they have to do and given the huge sums of TV money, lucrative sponsorship opportunities and sold out gates there really is no excuse not to at least try and fucking compete man. Its a sad indictment that we haven't broken our transfer record under Ashley and that we wont pay more than 50K a week on wages (apparently that's what Shelvey is on, our highest earner).

Ashley may as well get rid of Rafa, stop wasting everyone's time and bring Pardew back who was the ideal Ashley manager for Newcastle, and to be fair most supporters too...

if he'd been lied to by them he'd be gone, it's as simple as that, so whatever is happening he's accepting the justification for as part of a bigger picture we can't see

He's got a threshold, Mojo. He's got a threshold for the abuse that he will take. Now, right now, he's a f***ing race car, all right? And Mike's got him in the red. And I'm just saying, I'm just saying that it's f***ing dangerous to have a race car in the f***ing red, that's all. He could blow.

Sounds like fiction to me.

Guest Howaythetoon

HTT swings from 1 emotion to another and writes a novel every time.

That's a sentence in my book...

Rafa doesn't need NUFC at all IMO, he's just not as emotional as KK so will be prepared to tough things out as long as he judges it's worth it. Resignation next summer seems the most likely at the moment, unless staying up this season really does release a load of money for better players.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rafa doesn't need NUFC at all IMO, he's just not as emotional as KK so will be prepared to tough things out as long as he judges it's worth it. Resignation next summer seems the most likely at the moment, unless staying up this season really does release a load of money for better players.

He needs us in terms of what we potentially represent to him, but if he can get that elsewhere with more ambition and a better owner he will be off. I agree RE the emotional aspect, never considered that to be honest.