Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

We're decided that he's leaving then?

Apparently. Big bad Mike Ashley wants him out. Apparently. Everybody knows it. I must have been in the same place as you when the memo was as circulated.

What makes you think that he's not on the brink of leaving then?  All the stuff in the press coming from both sides along with Rafa's body language in most of his interviews points to a massive breakdown in the relationship between manager and owner to me.

I think Rafa gets on with Charnley, it's Ashley behind the scenes who seems to be the problem.

Hopefully some good results and some much needed clear the air talks can commence, in order to turn the tide.

I can't see how Rafa can trust Ashley again, which makes going into any transfer window very difficult but there's always hope.

I think Rafa gets on with Charnley, it's Ashley behind the scenes who seems to be the problem.

Hopefully some good results and some much needed clear the air talks can commence, in order to turn the tide.

I can't see how Rafa can trust Ashley again, which makes going into any transfer window very difficult but there's always hope.

Rafa will know that Charnley is just Ashley's gimp though, getting on with him is meaningless when he has no power to authorise spending. It just means he might shake hands when he leaves at some point in the next 12 months.

The ONLY definite thing to come out of all this sad episode, is that this is Rafa's last season with us.

If he even stays the full season - though I think (and hope) that he will.

He will not tolerate the level of weasel-words betrayal from Ashley again . . . would you? . . would anyone?

SO, let us (try to) enjoy our last season with the great Rafa Benitez as OUR manager, something to (try to) be proud of and treasure, for the short period it will last.

The ONLY definite thing to come out of all this sad episode, is that this is Rafa's last season with us.

He will not tolerate the level of weasel-words betrayal from Ashley again . . . would you? . . would anyone?

SO, let us (try to) enjoy our last season with the great Rafa Benitez as OUR manager, something to (try to) be proud of and treasure, for the short period it will last.

There is a slim chance that Rafa will stay - he can use the TV money next summer.

There is a slim chance that Rafa will stay - he can use the TV money next summer.

That's the only hope we have. The hope that:

- Ashley isn't sanctioning spending because the money hasn't come in yet. When the money does come in Rafa can use it as he sees fit.

- Ashley doesn't want to sanction purchases using installment payments over X years because he views it as a risk should the signings fail.

- The £80m spunked under McClaren, and other spending sprees here and there (including last summer with a fair chunk of money brought in through players sales spent on Championship players), is evidence that Ashley will release funds when it's available and needed (or if he's panicking). If he were truly trying to squeeze NUFC for all he can he could have spent alot less, like we did when we first went down in 2008. So there's some unpredictability and inconsistencies with the notion that Ashley is a nefarious owner, and is simply a badly advised idiot who lies whenever he's cornered.

- Rafa's unhappiness leaked through the press / associates is just another bluff, another screw to turn the pressure on Ashley to eventually release money and accept Rafa's high ambitions for this club. If/when he gets the money to spend next season he'll be happy.

This is all straw clutching at its finest though.

Guest Howaythetoon

It's not straw clutching, it's fantasy. And that's with all due respect tmonkey. It's obvious what Ashley's game is and it's the same game he's been playing since KK.

- Ashley isn't sanctioning spending because the money hasn't come in yet. When the money does come in Rafa can use it as he sees fit.

- Ashley doesn't want to sanction purchases using installment payments over X years because he views it as a risk should the signings fail.

- The £80m spunked under McClaren, and other spending sprees here and there (including last summer with a fair chunk of money brought in through players sales spent on Championship players), is evidence that Ashley will release funds when it's available and needed (or if he's panicking). If he were truly trying to squeeze NUFC for all he can he could have spent alot less, like we did when we first went down in 2008. So there's some unpredictability and inconsistencies with the notion that Ashley is a nefarious owner, and is simply a badly advised idiot who lies whenever he's cornered.

- Rafa's unhappiness leaked through the press / associates is just another bluff, another screw to turn the pressure on Ashley to eventually release money and accept Rafa's high ambitions for this club. If/when he gets the money to spend next season he'll be happy.

At times straw clutching is all we have  :lol:

Yup, basically it's that.

It's straw clutching but is definitely possible rather than impossible. I think that's why Rafa is likely to see out this season at least... if he was that annoyed with buying third-choice targets he would've resigned already IMO.

"Maybe Mike has changed this time"

A very slim chance, in fact (despite all the genuine 'straw-clutching hopes" expressed above) Ashley has insulted Rafa to such an extent, he will not stay. He will want to stay (for us, for the club) but he will leave at the end of this season.

He now knows that Ashley is not trustworthy, and he now also knows (as we have for years) that Ashley will NEVER change . . . so there is no point in Rafa staying.

Let us all just try to enjoy his last season with us, hopefully it will give us something (good) to look back on, in the long years to come . . . 

It's straw clutching but is definitely possible rather than impossible. I think that's why Rafa is likely to see out this season at least... if he was that annoyed with buying third-choice targets he would've resigned already IMO.

"Maybe Mike has changed this time"

I don't think we're relying on Mike 'changing', just allowing slightly more expensive signings when the club has more money. Like I say, not likely but just-about possible.

I'm really not sure what Ashley gets from us. Obviously the Premier League TV money, but he could have found other ways to get money like. It is easy money but apart from that, all the trouble he gets himself into owning us is just ridiculous. :tickedoff:

I'm really not sure what Ashley gets from us. Obviously the Premier League TV money, but he could have found other ways to get money like. It is easy money but apart from that, all the trouble he gets himself into owning us is just ridiculous. :tickedoff:

SportsDirect is the clue.