The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Given the nature of modern English football and the closed-shop mentality that was considered an absolute truth, I don't see anything that beats this, in the modern era anyway.

I'll be honest, part of me wanted Leicester to fuck it up in the end :lol: but can't take anything away from them, it's an amazing achievement. Twitter is now unfortunately full of this stuff...

Well played to Leicester - fully deserved and worth champions.  Spurs played some great stuff, first half last night - but their capitulation at the end was disgraceful. Could and should have finished with at least 4 players sent off. How Dier was not sent off, is beyond me!

Guest firetotheworks

Best sporting achievement in history.

[emoji38]

Don't know whats funny about that statement.

The fact it's ridiculous would be a good start.

Any more ridiculous than claiming anything else is? Genuine question btw, I can't think of any others because I don't know any others.

BBC put out 'other sporting shocks', which isn't the same thing obviously, but might allow for comparison

Brian Clough's Nottingham Forest side were promoted to the top flight, won the league and then won two European Cups in consecutive seasons between 1976 and 1980.

Baseball's Boston Red Sox finally triumphed in the 2004 World Series - 86 years after their last win.

Unseeded 17-year-old German Boris Becker became the youngest player to win the Wimbledon tennis tournament with victory in 1985.

Chain-smoking rookie reserve John Daly won the 1991 US PGA golf championship after being drafted in as a late replacement.

Undisputed, undefeated boxing heavyweight champion of the world Mike Tyson was knocked out by flu-ridden 'stooge' Buster Douglas in Tokyo, 1990.

A boxing match isn't comparable at all. There's a big difference in getting caught with a punch and winning a league over 38 games. You could certainly compare Clough's Forest though.

This is the sport with the biggest participation rate on the planet, and the most watched professional sports league globally, where arguably the biggest collection of the best of those participants are located. Take that context, then add the fact that the economic inequalities are enormous, and the format (38 matches home and away) to create such a statistical unlikelihood that a team can be 5000/1 to win before a ball has been kicked. I'd love to hear of another sporting upset that comes anywhere close in terms of combining unlikelihood and global significance.

Mentioning baseball or tennis is frankly a bit of a joke. Or one-off boxing matches FFS.

Only West Brom have a lower pass completion rate over the course of the season. I love that the way they've done it goes against everything that we've come to understand about football. It's fascinating.

You can be sure that every club will be trying to adopt "the Leicester model" but the real beauty is that I don't think there is one.

I wonder what the NUFC supporter who was relieved of one of his eyes by Leicester supporters throwing missiles thinks of their success? The walk from station to stadium (vice versa) could and usually would be 'eventful'.

Cuntish supporters who, while pissing the league, resort to plastic clappers to create an atmosphere.

Well done though. 

Some blatant band wagon jumpers on the news like. Just because you live in Leicester doesn't mean you get to share in the club's success. Some proper dinner nannies wearing all blue, while the old boy who has supported them for 80 years is sitting at home toasting himself with a drink. Get them on the TV for crying out loud.