The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Guest neesy111

Results do lie but that is what Atletico are designed to do. If that had happened against any other team then maybe but basically that's atletico's plan, if that was the case all of atleticos successes of the past few years are underserving.

Fair enough, but IMO (doesn't have to be yours ;) ) I still think Bayern over the two legs showed more. Thought they were unlucky. Muller was rusty because it should've been 3-0 at half time.

Too many of their players are out of form imo.

Felipao, on your observations then Leicester should have gone down this season.

Being "better" is about tactically setting up, performing your roles well and winning games.

Absolutely ridiculous to say Atletico and Leicester play the same style of football.

I wasn't necessarily directly comparing the two, I was making reference to what you said about having none of the ball and no chances. Leicester have won games all season on that basis.

Go to bed :lol: You're high. Leicester have played some fantastic stuff during the season, they are also one of the top scorers in the league.

And Atletico are 3rd top scorers in La Liga, only behind Barca and Real. Atletico also play some fantastic stuff, but they also tactically set up well when they need to.

EDIT - Just realised Atletico have only conceded 16 goals in La Liga this season, that is incredibly defensively. :lol:

Atletico doesn't play fantastic footblal offensivley at all. They're basically the Cristiano Ronaldo in team form. Incredibly effective but fucking boring when you can watch Messi or Bayern. :thup: My opinion at least.

Great season for 4-4-2 if Villarreal make it to the final, too.

Nee possession, nee wingers. Maybe big Tone was right all along.

Atmosphere will be miles better with the Atleti fans in the final too.

Always love it when people whinge about lesser teams tactically winning a match against one of UEFA's elite. Get your heed in the real world man.

:lol: Worst poster on this forum, calling one of the best teams in the world a 'lesser' team. Their 2nd Final in three seasons. No one is calling them a lesser team. Atletico is doing basically what Mourinho did all those years. Boring to watch. Sorry that I don't share your views .

That was deserved over the two legs to be fair, fair play to them.

:lol: What? How is that even close to being deserved? They won with an away goal after scoring what, two from three chances? Come on. Bayern were far better, but Simeone has built some type of 100% Effective Machine.

Better= having more of the ball? :anguish:

Definitely not, who created most over two legs?

Were Atletico ever going to create more over two legs against Bayern? I don't think it was even possible in your world for Atletico to deserve it more or be better. They are just fantastic in what they do and IMO deserve everything they get.

I don't think atletico are as boring as a Mourinho team overall but yes they have that mode

Genuine question as you made valid points earlier. What differs them that makes them more entertaining than Mourinhos sides?

Concede goals like that at home and you can have no complaints when you get done on away goals. No need for that situation to arise. Really indisciplined and they got punished, coupled with not punishing Atleti's indiscipline that's the game gone. Small margins.

Madness from Boateng rushing in like that. I think he's improved leaps and bounds too.

Always love it when people whinge about lesser teams tactically winning a match against one of UEFA's elite. Get your heed in the real world man.

:lol: Worst poster on this forum, calling one of the best teams in the world a 'lesser' team. Their 2nd Final in three seasons. No one is calling them a lesser team. Atletico is doing basically what Mourinho did all those years. Boring to watch. Sorry that I don't share your views .

They're a lesser team than Bayern.

Felipao, what happens when Exeter draw Man Utd away in the cup next season? Are they only allowed to win if they play with flair and have more shots?

Or can they play as they should and keep it really tight then try and knick a goal somewhere?

Atletico Madrid have a less talented team to Bayern, so they were tactically set up to frustrate their opponents and play on the counter - which they did to great effect and won the tie.

I'm usually a Real supporter but I want Atleti to win the final regardless of the opposition.

Atletico have had Real's number in the league fro a few years now. Haven't lost to Real in the league since perhaps 2013, maybe 2014. But Real have beat Atleti in the previous 2 CL meetings. It's Atleti's turn.

At the same time - this is a almost a modern Golden Era for Real Madrid in the CL. 6 successive semi's... so far only 1 final, 1 win.  That core Ramos - Pepe - Marcelo - Benzema - Ronaldo has been around for that whole time. You figure once they go/continue to age it will be difficult to keep it up.

I think Atleti show so much good play when they do actually have the ball that they can get away with ultra defensive tactics. In all 4 games against Barca and Bayern (only saw the second half tonight mind) they've looked really dangerous when they have had the ball and created some great chances and scored some class goals

Jose's Inter side that won the CL was genuinely entertaining?  Milito and Wes on the counter :thup:

agree with that and the semi final (?) games vs Barca were really enthralling to watch. Variety is the spice of life, if everyone tried to play beautiful flowing football it would be bloody boring to watch and in the end especially in knockout football results are the only thing that count you don't get through based on how many passes you make or how pretty your trying to play you do everything in your power to get the result.

Some managers try to be difficult to beat. Some try to be difficult to stop. Some try to stay in a job as long as possible before being found out.

The first type win cups, the second win leagues, and last one manages Palace.

Felipao, on your observations then Leicester should have gone down this season.

Being "better" is about tactically setting up, performing your roles well and winning games.

Absolutely ridiculous to say Atletico and Leicester play the same style of football.

Leicester's style this season was so similar to the Atleti team of 13/14, and even this side has much of the same DNA.

Guest VanBarduck

I don't think atletico are as boring as a Mourinho team overall but yes they have that mode

Genuine question as you made valid points earlier. What differs them that makes them more entertaining than Mourinhos sides?

Mourinho's "park the bus" tactic is basically: sit deep, let them have the ball, because the more they have the ball the more chances they'll make a mistake, a mistake we'll hopefully exploit.

Mourinho's main idea is to contain, break the opposition's attacks.

Whereas Simeone has more of an active approach. He controls the game in a way. Indeed his team decides where the opponent will be allowed to attack. Atletico invites, forces the opponent to attack in areas where they know they will be able to defend with ease.  Near the touchline. As they say in Spain "the touchline is our best defender".

Atletico reduces, limits the opponent attacking options as well (playing down the middle or behind the back four is impossible ) making the opponent's very predictable.

Same for the attacking play, Atletico decides what they want to do, they're not just hoping for Gerrard to slip or something. For instance: they will stretch the center back partnership, with runs from Torres or Carrasco or overload on the wings with Juanfran or F.Luis, and then switch back to the center to Griezmann in the hole or Saul.

Plus all the passion, the counter-pressing, the tidiness and technical ability of the players, the commitment, the intelligence and also their  somehow classy Latin nastiness, makes Atletico far more enjoyable than Mourinho's Chelsea.

Mourinho's "park the bus" tactic is basically: sit deep, let them have the ball, because the more they have the ball the more chances they'll make a mistake, a mistake we'll hopefully exploit.

Mourinho's main idea is to contain, break the opposition's attacks.

Whereas Simeone has more of an active approach. He controls the game in a way. Indeed his team decides where the opponent will be allowed to attack. Atletico invites, forces the opponent to attack in areas where they know they will be able to defend with ease.  Near the touchline. As they say in Spain "the touchline is our best defender".

Atletico reduces, limits the opponent attacking options as well (playing down the middle or behind the back four is impossible ) making the opponent's very predictable.

Same for the attacking play, Atletico decides what they want to do, they're not just hoping for Gerrard to slip or something. For instance: they will stretch the center back partnership, with runs from Torres or Carrasco or overload on the wings with Juanfran or F.Luis, and then switch back to the center to Griezmann in the hole or Saul.

Plus all the passion, the counter-pressing, the tidiness and technical ability of the players, the commitment, the intelligence and also their  somehow classy Latin nastiness, makes Atletico far more enjoyable than Mourinho's Chelsea.

That's more than a little uncharitable to Mourinho. Beyond "parking the bus" he's brought nullifying the opposition to an art form. It doesn't matter how the other team attacks, he's very good at setting up shop to frustrate them.

He was also one of the first (as far as I know) to focus a lot on the transitions in training before they were the trendy thing. There's a reason his counter attacking style has been so successful.

Felipao, what happens when Exeter draw Man Utd away in the cup next season? Are they only allowed to win if they play with flair and have more shots?

Or can they play as they should and keep it really tight then try and knick a goal somewhere?

Atletico Madrid have a less talented team to Bayern, so they were tactically set up to frustrate their opponents and play on the counter - which they did to great effect and won the tie.

From 180 minutes, they only scored one goal on the counter and that from a mistake you don't even expect from juniors. I'm not taking anything away from Atletico. They play their style and that's their best chance to win. Doesn't mean I think they were better than Bayern over the two legs. They haven't really defended that well over two legs either compared to waht they've done earlier in this CL campaign, Bayern could've had 4 or 5 in this 2nd leg if it wasn't for Oblak and a rusty Muller.

Honestly, why Bayern lost then? One can argue that failing to take the chance is “playing poorly” instead of “playing well but blah blah blah”.  And btw calling Muller rusty is ridiculous.  In Kickers rating Muller is the best in Bundesliga this season.