Suspect package forces abandonment of Man Utd vs Bournemouth

Dave

I've been thinking. Security is going to be paramount now in stadiums, or it should do. Earlier on I suggested that we should do more like metal detectors, or even body scans like they do at airports. Players, officials, and VIP's are always going to be thought of as more important (sadly), and as getting an evacuation is now thought of a way to attack then surely stadiums should start thinking about panic rooms for more people to go into? Ok so this is the extreme end, and bordering paranoia, but still it's a suggestion. If for say you dig under the pitch at football grounds and installed a panic room there then surely you would then be able house a large amount of people?

I've been thinking. Security is going to be paramount now in stadiums, or it should do. Earlier on I suggested that we should do more like metal detectors, or even body scans like they do at airports. Players, officials, and VIP's are always going to be thought of as more important (sadly), and as getting an evacuation is now thought of a way to attack then surely stadiums should start thinking about panic rooms for more people to go into? Ok so this is the extreme end, and bordering paranoia, but still it's a suggestion. If for say you dig under the pitch at football grounds and installed a panic room there then surely you would then be able house a large amount of people?

wat

I've been thinking........................... If for say you dig under the pitch at football grounds and installed a panic room there then surely you would then be able house a large amount of people?

Have you?

You'd need 8 stories of panic rooms installed underground if they're each pitch sized and people are given 1m2 to languish in and you need to house ~ 50,000 fans + assorted personnel on matchday. Way more if you don't want people to feel like sardines. #unfeasible

You really should stop thinking.

It comes across to me like trying brush a situation under the carpet so that there isn't any alarm in the country. The press coverage was so limited as well when you bear in mind the gravity of it all.  It concerns me equally if it was in fact a training device as I fail to see how such a lengthy operation would take place without checking.

I've thought the same, tbh. The whole thing seems so contrived.

Guest firetotheworks

Polite reminder that Stifler ran as a Conservative in his local elections a little while ago.

It comes across to me like trying brush a situation under the carpet so that there isn't any alarm in the country. The press coverage was so limited as well when you bear in mind the gravity of it all.  It concerns me equally if it was in fact a training device as I fail to see how such a lengthy operation would take place without checking.

I've thought the same, tbh. The whole thing seems so contrived.

Hmmm...

Either it was a dummy bomb (in which case I'm wondering why you'd need to have one that's so convincing that it makes police and security guards shit themselves to the extent they order an evacuation and abandonment of a match, and undertake a controlled explosion?) or it was actually a real bomb but they don't want to spark widespread public panic ahead of the Euros so they've come up with this marginally plausible cover story.

We'll not be told anytime soon, but there's enough reason to suspect it might, just might, be a case of the latter...

Bet Froggy regrets posting their profits now

Why? :lol: Would expect no less from the club anyway. If we posted a loss we would still do this for fans of both clubs.

Leaving a fake bomb behind though. What an idiot. :lol:

Once the suspect package has been declared, then there is no going back until the bomb disposal squad clear it, and trust me they follow protocol to the letter regardless of how "obviously fake" it may be. It could have been that the security company did phone in and declare it their's almost immediately or it could even be that there was a sticker on the side saying something like "training" but once the ball starts rolling there is no way of stopping it in this situation.

Guest antz1uk

You'd have thought, being a training device, it would have been clearly marked. They normally do this.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Yep, if i saw a bomb somewhere with 'FAKE DEVICE' stamped on it i'd just go and pick it up aswell

How does a controlled explosion work exactly? Do they cover the bomb with some sort of equipment before detonating it?

I just imagine it's like on Monsters Inc. and the coppers run around saying "WE'VE GOT A TWENTY THREE NINETEEN!!" And then the bomb squad come and put that bowl over it, bolt it down, blow it up and then sweep up the mess.

Well I'm obviously not suggesting we build some sort of nuclear bunker to house 52k people. My point is that if the bomb scare and bombs outside are being used as means of terrorism then surely you have to too ode somewhere safe for people to go, and infortuantly some people (players, officials etc) are going to be seen as more important than others (fans) to provide safety too.

Well I'm obviously not suggesting we build some sort of nuclear bunker to house 52k people. My point is that if the bomb scare and bombs outside are being used as means of terrorism then surely you have to too ode somewhere safe for people to go, and infortuantly some people (players, officials etc) are going to be seen as more important than others (fans) to provide safety too.

I think you're forgetting, Stifler, that terrorists tend not to give much notice.

"Pssst. I'm about to blow this vest up, get yourself to the under-pitch bunker quickly"

SJP is the only stadium in the country you can drive underneath. That in itself is a worry. What could a loaded lorry achieve?

Is there not a stand at Villa park where you can drive under? It's worth noting that Spur's new stadium will have a public carpark underneath it.