Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We need someone that will be happy just to be here and get 15 games or so. We need one more to push the other two as first choice, this guy as proven Championship level 4th choice and I'm happy.

This is what I'm thinking. We need a guy who can be 3rd choice in the championship and then 4th choice whenever we go up. I think signing a guy like Hanley points towards trusting Lascelles and Mbemba to do the job as starting cb pair. or at least I hope so.

Should just be signing the best Championship CB there is. They all know we're the best shout of going up this year so even if they don't play so much it's a near guaranteed ticket to the Premier League.

Should just be signing the best Championship CB there is. They all know we're the best shout of going up this year so even if they don't play so much it's a near guaranteed ticket to the Premier League.

Or we can give Lascelles and Mbemba until January to prove that their partnership is as good as it was showing towards the last few games of the season.

Aye, but he's dreadful and we're stuck playing him if either Lascelles or Mbemba get injured. He'll no doubt be tied down to a long contract, too.

Is he really that bad? Even in the Championship? I mean I bet Stifler could do a decent job as CB in the championship.

Aye, but he's dreadful and we're stuck playing him if either Lascelles or Mbemba get injured. He'll no doubt be tied down to a long contract, too.

Is he really that bad? Even in the Championship? I mean I bet Stifler could do a decent job as CB in the championship.

You went too far..

Exactly. Why sign him if a turd could perform well? No sense in tying down a plodder to a long contract when Saylor could probably outperform him.

Blackburn fans in Twitter said he was their POTY last season. Calling him a solid defender but not good on the ball.

http://i.imgur.com/ezQVQbg.jpg

Who is/was the best Championship CB?

Think it was Ayala.

We need someone that will be happy just to be here and get 15 games or so. Going to be very hard to attract two Premier League quality centre-backs when they know they won't be first choice. We need one more to push the other two as first choice, this guy as proven Championship level 4th choice and I'm happy.

Yeah that was what I was thinking. Mbemba and Lascelles were premier quality, we really need someone to give them back up rather than replace outright. We can do that when we are back in the premier if need be.

Don't know much about Hanley outside of his short time in the Premier League, but reading Blackburn fans thoughts on him I'd be pretty happy with him. Clearly a good Championship defender who should do fine in a settled squad when he has to play, and hopefully can move down to our fourth centerback if we get promoted and presumably sign someone else. Like someone said, if Fitz Hall and Khizanishvili can look competent in this league, there's no reason Hanley can't help us.

Yeah rather something like this than spending £10-15m on some other unproven CB (high level), and keep Mbemba and Lascelles as our main pairing. I think they will do and combine well as we've seen for a few games at least. Other important positions to fill. But i guess Mbemba will be gone for a while and there's quite a few games to play..

We really could do with an experienced no nonsense guy that loves defending and doesn't shirk any challenges physically. Sounds like he is that type, so all good with me.

Hanley whilst not a world beater has done a job in poor Scotland and Blackburn sides. Whilst he doesn't look amazing he does have some decent attributes for a centre half. 

Rafa over the years for me through his coaching and tactics has made some decent centre half pairings and he must see something in Hanley (if reports are true) that he can work with and improve.  Much like Gayle at the other end of the pitch I guess.

He's also shown this with Lascelles who is now the Golden child.  I'm sure at the start of last season many on here didn't even rate him that highly.  The season before, on loan at Forest, he couldn't even get a game each week.  However in a Rafa team his game has come on massively, I expect the same if we get Hanley (or Caulker etc who is similar that he has the attributes but hasn't had the consistency etc).

Leicester have just won the Premier League with a CB pairing of Huth and Morgan.

Hanley will be more than adequate as a defender in the Championship :lol:

What a weird and absolutely pointless comparison

It's a tough call. As mentioned lascelles and mbemba  are our first choice and should be, but need protection and guidance as they grow. This is a low risk signing and someone we can move on pretty easily. He brings some leadership and experience.

My only reservation is that when you are buying you should surely always be aiming to bring better players in than what we already have. I don't know that he is, but for the reasons already said it maybe makes sense.