Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

His attacking play was pretty poor and his defending was a liability at times, I don't see why Santon gets so much love.

He was majestic across the grass. Another ruined by Pardew's coaching though.

There's a canny left back from Inter Milan who would probably fancy the move.

First thing I thought of when I heard the mackem move broke down. Wouldn't be surprised if we were in for him now.

just happy the move broke down and he's not going there.

His attacking play was pretty poor and his defending was a liability at times, I don't see why Santon gets so much love.

Same, I was happy when I saw Sunderland were in for him.

Both sides of the was Santon good or bad are right because he was incredibly inconsistent, he could be fine then have absolute stinkers. I know he never really contributed all that much but i still kinda liked him and I do blame the total non-coaching he received from Pardew and the absymal standards of our facilities for some of the failures of our younger players to improve over time. I always feel he had potential, had oodles of technical ability but wasn't ever suited to any position, the mad idea of him being a midfielder at the end of his time here was down to the fact he was one of the best passers we had but also down to the fact that he never really fit at left back.

Sentimentally I'd kinda want to see him back still, but yes totally inconsistent and no reason we can't do better, he just seemed a decent guy who was screwed over by us. I also think he was missed more than people realise, after he had gone we had so few players who could pass 2 yards in the final third our attacking got worse even if he was never clearly a supplier of goals personally. Pardew reckoned (and still does) that the ability to pass teh ball is overrated and you just need cloggers all over the pitch, Santon was doomed under him (and ok he could never really defend) but our play was worse without him.

Guest chopey

Did he make a mistake in an away game and then went over to the fans at the next home game to apologise, or did I just imagine that?

Agree.

We sold him at a time our squad was so thin we needed him. Right now I'm not bothered about him, all very meh. Good luck to him at Sunderland.

Did he make a mistake in an away game and then went over to the fans at the next home game to apologise, or did I just imagine that?

He always made an effort to apologise to the fans after poor performances - not sure about a specific mistake he made.

There's a canny left back from Inter Milan who would probably fancy the move.

First thing I thought of when I heard the mackem move broke down. Wouldn't be surprised if we were in for him now.

just happy the move broke down and he's not going there.

Same here. I thought he flattered to deceive when he was here, but I'd still hate to see him end up at Sunderland.

Santon managed to stay likable while making countless errors leading to goals and giving you very little going forward. Coming from Inter and the Italian national side with Mourinho's praise compounded with his unassuming nature probably explains it.

I liked him, but he's better off with a slower pace of football.

Santon managed to stay likable while making countless errors leading to goals and giving you very little going forward. Coming from Inter and the Italian national side with Mourinho's praise compounded with his unassuming nature probably explains it.

I liked him, but he's better off with a slower pace of football.

He also seemed to care, it got to him when we lost and that swayed a few (inc me) as well.

Amazing to me is how pundits doubted if Rafa would know how to get out of the Championship. What players he'd need, he wouldn't know nothing of the level of players and teams in it.

The signings so far look perfect for getting us back up. Expert pundits my arse.

Nice young versatile player that has come up in a really decent club, and has already gained experience in the Championship with Hull. Love it.

Our work this summer has been absolutely beautiful.

Nice young versatile player that has come up in a really decent club, and has already gained experience in the Championship with Hull. Love it.

Should probably wait till we play a few games to say that

On paper we're making the exact sort of signings we need to be making. Hayden and Hanley both seem appropriate too, with the transfer funds presumably wearing quite thin at this point.

Should probably wait till we play a few games to say that

Hey, we're getting in players nice and early, and covering all positions. Good enough for me for now.

Can't say i've seen too much of Hayden or Hanley and the reports on both are mixed, especially Hanley.

The reassuring part about it all though is that these are Rafa's choices and he will know how to improve them to fit in with and be successsful in the project he's building.