Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would like to see us sign a young understudy to Shelvey, someone who may have the potential to play in the Premier League but would be happy to start off as a bench player at a club on the up.

One advantage of us playing at this level is that we can blood youth at a lower level than the Prem and integrate them that way. Notice a lot of Prem teams have to loan their youngsters to these divisions because the stakes are so high that they can't afford to risk untried talent at the highest level. Teams like Man Utd and Arsenal do take a chance on youth but they can bring them in when games are wrapped up or against teams they expect to beat, a luxury most Prem teams don't have if they're trying to keep their heads above water and expect a tough game.

We should only be chasing loan deals with an option to sign, otherwise why not just buy our own. I can't name names because I don't follow the lower leagues that closely, but there must be some young Lascelles, Darlow, Richie and Gayle type players out there whoare worth a punt and who may or may not make it in the Premier League, but will help us get there.

We looked utterly toothless without Shelvey and I think its a very real possibilty that someone like Leeds could pip us to second if he were injured for a prolonged period or suspended, failing to sign another CM could come back to bite us on the arse.

A winger would be nice too, take some of the burden off Ritchie to create from out wide, penny pinching still I would suspect.

We looked utterly toothless without Shelvey and I think its a very real possibilty that someone like Leeds could pip us to second if he were injured for a prolonged period or suspended, failing to sign another CM could come back to bite us on the arse.

A winger would be nice too, take some of the burden off Ritchie to create from out wide, penny pinching still I would suspect.

This. I thought it was clear to everyone how important Shelvey has become to our side? It's highly likely he will suffer an injury/pick up another ban somewhere along the way.

I do however understand the reluctance to buy cloggers. Either get a few loans as cover or buy a single creative midfielder for a bit more money.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not particularly concerned about not getting promoted, purely because of Rafa. It's an unnecessary gamble though, and if we fail , the blame will lay at the same door that it always lies, Ashley's. Injuries, suspensions and so on are obviously part of the game, and we're an injury to one of our very few key players away from putting promotion in jeopardy, and hoping that Rafa has the acumen to render any injuries and suspensions moot.

We shouldn't have to do that when the rewards are gargantuan in comparison to a million or two here or there.

I still reckon we're winning it without any signings.

If Shelvey/Ritchie aren't injured, I'm confident we'll go up. If they are, we'll drop points, pressure will be on and I reckon it could get tight.

We have to weigh up the risk of being lumbered with a player for years who isn't Prem quality and we can't shift him but he helped us to promotion, and the risk of not getting promoted.

We can essentially go 11 clear of Leeds with our game in hand. Shelvey or no Shelvey they would have to basically gain 4 wins worth of points on us.

As shit as we were without Shelvey I don't think it's fully reflective of us without him (1.5 points per game), and even if it was that form would have us finishing on 87 points. Basically a win or two off promotion.

We can essentially go 11 clear of Leeds with our game in hand. Shelvey or no Shelvey they would have to basically gain 4 wins worth of points on us.

As s*** as we were without Shelvey I don't think it's fully reflective of us without him (1.5 points per game), and even if it was that form would have us finishing on 87 points. Basically a win or two off promotion.

:thup:

Not really that bothered if sign anyone else in this window. I'd only be happy with someone who can do the job in the Premier League.

We've got 19 games left, we only need 11 wins and we'll be sat on 91pts which should get us in the top two. We'll be fine.

I'm not bothered about signing anyone on a permanent basis this window. I want us to loan players though. Loans will probably happen on the last day of the transfer window. The FA Cup fixtures over the weekend will result in a few Premiership teams being knocked out so they'll be happier to loan out their fringe players.