Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I can see Rafa looking to sign a decent core of players used to the PL to give us a solid foundation to build on from further ahead. Can't see him going for too many players that need to adapt to the English culture, learn the language and get used to the league and so on. Mainly he'll want players that are ready from the off. At least 60-70% of our signings will probably have some sort of experience of playing football in England. It might not be the most exciting or "exotic" players but he will be creating a solid team to begin with and that's probably quite a wise thing to do and healthy for the long term. Hopefully we can get a couple of exciting players to add some pace and flair as well as end product, which I'm sure he'll try to sort out.

He has been impressive when I've seen him but just something to note with Maguire is that he's playing on the right of a back three with freedom to push on and may not be as impressive as a normal centre half in a back four

He's been more impressive when playing in a back four. Can play on either side too.

Guest ElCid

Sign all the relegated defenders, IMO

:lol: :thup:

Yet you've been telling people on here to not expect much regarding incoming players during our first season back :lol:

Anyone who thinks not to expect too much is a mug. We need to sign a fair few quality players or we will be back in a relegation battle next year. We're not going to challenge the top clubs for the top players but there certainly is another 14 teams we should be competing with for players at the next level

Sign all the relegated defenders, IMO

:lol: :thup:

Yet you've been telling people on here to not expect much regarding incoming players during our first season back :lol:

Anyone who thinks not to expect too much is a mug. We need to sign a fair few quality players or we will be back in a relegation battle next year. We're not going to challenge the top clubs for the top players but there certainly is another 14 teams we should be competing with for players at the next level

Wouldn't getting Maguire and Chambers be just what you are saying, given who they have been linked with?

Everyone's talking about Maguire and Chambers, but the most interesting one might be McCarthy. For one thing that would mean the ginger Pirlo would probably never pull on a Newcastle shirt again.

I guess Everton having Schneiderlin and McCarthy being injured most of this season mean he'll be available and not as expensive in relative terms as a season ago. It doesn't sound like he's on crazy wages either.

Whether him or not, a big upgrade at DM is essential, especially if the idea is to proceed with Shelvey.

Everyone's talking about Maguire and Chambers, but the most interesting one might be McCarthy. For one thing that would mean the ginger Pirlo would probably never pull on a Newcastle shirt again.

Personally have no clue what level McCarthy is at atm given he hasn't played a full match since december.

Personally have no clue what level McCarthy is at atm given he hasn't played a full match since december.

I haven't seen that much myself, but Rafa seems to rate him if the rumours of us wanting him in January are true.

Reckon 14m is about right for McCarthy, in today's market (fuck do I know).

I seriously doubt we will throw 20m at McCarthy, nor do I think that Everton will expect 20m for him. Certainly sounds like we are keen on him, either that or its lazy guesswork from our January link.

Dont know why but im not really that enthusiastic like everyone else always seems to be with regard to our so called targets. Cairney and McCarthy dont really get my blood pumping.

Wouldn't care if neither came in. And they seem pricey. Wether you call it "todays market" or not.

Dont know why but im not really that enthusiastic like everyone else always seems to be with regard to our so called targets. Cairney and McCarthy dont really get my blood pumping.

Wouldn't care if neither came in. And they seem pricey. Wether you call it "todays market" or not.

I don't take much notice of any rumours, Rafa will not be going around telling reporters who he's trying to bring in, he'll be keeping things close to his chest so he doesn't invite bids from other clubs.

I would just chill and wait until something more concrete is actually announced.  Rafa is building a team and not a collection of individuals, I think how the team performs as a unit is much more important to him than individuals anyway.

I can't wait for the new season to kick off so we can see how whoever comes in fits together as a team.

How come all our targets are also linked with Everton and West Ham? (Well obviously some agent bullshittery or some such)

We will most likely be fishing in the same pond as they are. In fact we will be competing with pretty much everyone outside of the top 6 for players. Historically we haven't spent the money on either transfer fees or wages that many of the others have, this will have to change this summer if we are going to compete for a middle of the table finish.

Would definitely take Andre Gray personally.

I don't know a lot about Gray, I admit to practically ignoring the PL last season, since we weren't in it. I hadn't heard of him prior at all. So don't know how good he is, however above all else we need to look for players that fit Rafa's system, it's clear from this season Rafa's not going to change to fit the players, it'll be the other way round. If Gray is a pacey, goal getter in the Gayle mould, then we absolutely should be looking at him, if not move along to someone else.