Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd rather have Traore over a new contract for Gouffran.

This.

I honestly think we are getting quoted ridiculously stupid prices, so the press has been briefed we've got next to nowt to spend. It's more of a hope than anything else.

All this no money malarkey is all a bit silly given the whole "just you wait til the summer, mike will fully back rafa then" spiel thrown out by penfold in jan/feb after the lack of spending then.

Definitely smacks of smoke and mirrors playing down how much we have or are willing to spend. It's hard line tactics that will save us some serious money in the end but that will be counteracted by the fact we missed out on our 1st, 2nd, 3rd targets due to our massive faffing and stingy tactics.

Jota ('hotta') whilst a risk looks and sounds promising. Left footed right midfielder (Lejeune will know from Eibar). Appears to have cult status at Brentford. But where would he fit in? Cover for for Ritchie? Suspect he fits into Atsu level of quality, rather than any improvement. Hot wife though!

Aye, we base our transfer budget on the previous 12 months rather than the next upcoming 12 months.

Other clubs are spending their £100m now and we're spending our Championship money from last season. Which also explains why we were able to spend well last season. This summer we'll have the transfer profit from last season, minus any losses we made over the course of the season.

Makes excellent financial sense but absolutely atrocious footballing sense.

Bouncy-belly-Mike should just lend us the £100M now and then keep the £100M we get from the PL whenever we get them [emoji4]

Seriously though, are we f***ing skint?

Don't think we're skint but I think missing the Sky gravy train last season has hit us more than we thought in terms of where we are compared to everyone.

this is it like...we're not going to get 'quality' players for much less than £20m a pop (if that) so everything depends on what our overall strategy is for this summer; my suspicion as i said yesterday is that it's not going to be to only bring in 3 players, i think we're looking at the lowest end of the scale to be able to at least put together a squad that will compete as a unit and push on the year after

hope i'm wrong

Virtually all of them when you set them against Rafa's ambitions, to be honest. He must be seething.

oh and i find this whole thing terribly boring - yeah sure rafa will have ambitions but he's also smart enough to know he's not going to realise them overnight with us or he'd never have agreed to come/stay

i can see him being seething if they've agreed to spend £80m on players and he only gets £40m worth in the end, absolutely, but he'll be astute enough to see what's happened to the market and what that will have done to our budget and plans

when people were talking £80m to spend + whatever else is raised a couple of months ago it seemed a lot, it really doesn't now, not for the scale of rebuild we need

If we need 6 players and have say 70m to spend, it doesn't take a genius to understand we must get the best deals possible. I think that is what is going on right now.

It's not that we aren't willing to pay 20m for someone, it's what we have left in the kitty, which concerns them.

If the club needs to understand that 20m is the going rate for a good player, perhaps we need to realise that 70m or whatever isn't a massive budget anymore.

Prices have gone mental this transfer window. There seems to have been a big price increase for players even compared to last Summer.

As well as incoming players we need to get shot of quite a few. Hopefully we get some movement on exits too. A problem which will be even more of a problem for all Premiership clubs after this Summer's price increase is moving on players who don't turn out to be a success. There's a lot of players being bought for big fees who are doubling or tripling their wages by moving to the Premiership. If they aren't a success they become very difficult to move on as they don't want a wage cut which means other leagues can't afford to pay them.

If our incoming transfer activity is in any way dependent on offloading deadwood then I'm much more concerned tbh. Some of the players on our books feel virtually worthless at this point.

that's the flipside as well i guess isn't it, given it's an ashley run club there will likely be no drive to just get people off the books by reducing transfer fees and such to make the deals more agreeable for buying clubs

off the top of my head i would personally want rid of as many of the following as possible with better replacements brought in in their positions

krul/darlow/elliot (2 from 3)

lazaar

gamez

hanley

colback

diame

haidara

gouffran (gone obvs)

murphy

mitro

de jong

saivet

riviere

...that's 14 players and how many could we be looking to get +£5m in fees for?  probably mitro and the keepers, the rest need to be shipped for very low fees to get them off the books but i can't see how this will ever happen

i think we'll get buyers for the likes of hanley and murphy but in order to dredge the last penny out of the deals they'll probably end up being very late in the window which is the last thing we want

I still don't believe we have anywhere near £70m to spend. I can see us spending £20m tops.

Do you really think Rafa would agree to only spend £20m?

Aye. For all the 'chill, Rafa's got this' sentiment and the implications in the local media that he generally supports the previous concept of buying younger players for low fees, he's still a Premier League manager and wouldn't have stayed on without assurances over an appropriate budget.

I still don't believe we have anywhere near £70m to spend. I can see us spending £20m tops.

I don't know what's been agreed obvs. I'm sure he won't be happy with £20m but I just can't see Ashley agreeing to a £70m outlay or anywhere near that.

Guest neesy111

I don't know what's been agreed obvs. I'm sure he won't be happy with £20m but I just can't see Ashley agreeing to a £70m outlay or anywhere near that.

Ashley said he was going to give Rafa every last penny available.  Considering our income will easily be £150m+ for the new season, then 70m is closer to the mark than 20m.

Aye. For all the 'chill, Rafa's got this' sentiment and the implications in the local media that he generally supports the previous concept of buying younger players for low fees, he's still a Premier League manager and wouldn't have stayed on without assurances over an appropriate budget.

I'm not sure I'd trust Ashley's word on anything though. He could quite easily tell Rafa one thing but do something completely different in reality.

Hope I'm wrong. We need to spend a lot to get this squad up to standard.

I'm not sure I'd trust Ashley's word on anything though. He could quite easily tell Rafa one thing but do something completely different in reality.

Well I don't trust the fucker at all, naturally. :lol:

We'll know soon enough, Rafa was very candid about what he thought of January when he said he was told deals were going to be done etc, and that the club couldn't make the same mistakes as the past. If they fuck him over again it'll all end in tears.

Seriously though, are we f***ing skint?

Don't think we're skint but I think missing the Sky gravy train last season has hit us more than we thought in terms of where we are compared to everyone.

That'd be fine if f***ing Huddersfield weren't outspending us :lol:

If we'd spent £40m on who they've bought there'd have been hell on.

That's not the point though.

The point is that they have already spent £40m and seemingly have more available, whilst we've spent £8m and even struggled to get that done.

Ashley said he was going to give Rafa every last penny available.  Considering our income will easily be £150m+ for the new season, then 70m is closer to the mark than 20m.

he was suitably vague in that statement though, could have meant a lot of things

afaik we don't get that payment until the season ends next year right?  has ashley ever sanctioned a big layout with cash we didn't have?  not that i recall

Well I don't trust the f***er at all, naturally. :lol:

We'll know soon enough, Rafa was very candid about what he thought of January when he said he was told deals were going to be done etc, and that the club couldn't make the same mistakes as the past. If they f*** him over again it'll all end in tears.

That's what I'm concerned about.

I'm probably being too cynical but.......... well, Ashley.