Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Our ownership & genius. Two words that don't feel like they belong together.

You've got to admit it takes something special to make as many fuckups as they have and end up in the Premier League with Rafael Benitez at the helm and record season ticket sales. :lol:

Genius is probably the wrong word. Let's just say I think a lot of what goes on is very devious and calculated. Something they were forced to admit to in the Keegan tribunal.

Basically exploiting the fact we have a good manager rather than embracing it.

The best part of it is that if things don't go well this season people will say 'Rafa isn't actually that good' or 'they were right not to let him waste too much money'. We've already seen it with the criticism of the signings of Sels amongst others. All designed to take the heat off them and load it onto others.

See January for ultimate proof of this, Rafa wanted reinforcements to guarantee promotion and lead nicely into this season. They lied to him and fucked him over* but we won the league anyway, so people say they were right to hold back. Had we not won the league, people would have said Rafa failed.

If we actually do well this season I'm sure people will say they were right to be careful with the funds. I'll be happy and wonder what might have been.

*We're supposed to forget where the funds we didn't spend in January have gone.

We had a £40m transfer deficit back then too, which has vanished since Ashley said Rafa could have everything the club generates.

I can only assume that back in January they were counting the transfer for Sissoko, Thauvin, Gini etc as money we had, but now they've decided to count is as money we'll eventually have.

Our ownership & genius. Two words that don't feel like they belong together.

You've got to admit it takes something special to make as many fuckups as they have and end up in the Premier League with Rafael Benitez at the helm and record season ticket sales. :lol:

Yeah that's true. And that something is a bit "special" and very gullible.

If we sign Kenedy on loan I think that'll be it tbh. A couple of our unwanted players will probably go out on loan late on when clubs get desperate.

Certainly can't see anything else significant happening now.

Think it will be enough?

Probably. Nothing more than that though. Basically we've rejoined the gravy train and all that matters is that we stay on it and collect the money, like most of the clubs in the league. There's clearly no ambition to do any more than the bare minimum for the smallest cost possible.

Which I guess we already knew, but suppose I hoped things might be different this time.

They had me fooled I must admit. I thought finally signing a world class manager meant they were going to at least show some ambition, turns out that will probably be the biggest con of all. Rafa will be going through Keegan's experience now and thinking it's not like the brochure. Anyway, I suppose there's still a chance that we could build on it in a year's time once we've got a season's TV money behind us, but watching Ashley lie his way through that interview, I don't really believe it.

If we sign Kenedy on loan I think that'll be it tbh. A couple of our unwanted players will probably go out on loan late on when clubs get desperate.

Certainly can't see anything else significant happening now.

Think it will be enough?

Probably. Nothing more than that though. Basically we've rejoined the gravy train and all that matters is that we stay on it and collect the money, like most of the clubs in the league. There's clearly no ambition to do any more than the bare minimum for the smallest cost possible.

Which I guess we already knew, but suppose I hoped things might be different this time.

They had me fooled I must admit. I thought finally signing a world class manager meant they were going to at least show some ambition, turns out that will probably be the biggest con of all. Rafa will be going through Keegan's experience now and thinking it's not like the brochure. Anyway, I suppose there's still a chance that we could build on it in a year's time once we've got a season's TV money behind us, but watching Ashley lie his way through that interview, I don't really believe it.

I think that too, I actually believe the club does spend what it generates on transfers and I don't think it's been money for transfers that has costs us this year but Moreso wages and having a top heavy squad.

Is this the year that we'll be a feature on Sky's transfer deadline frenzy???

Naaaaahh...

Spurs slowly constructing a trebuchet behind David Craig and attempting to launch him back into St James.

Guest firetotheworks

Benitez on transfers: "If you can kick the ball forward, they will ask for £10million. If you put the ball in the net, it’s £20million"

I love how this is the same day that we signed a striker for £5m :lol:

Benitez on transfers: "If you can kick the ball forward, they will ask for £10million. If you put the ball in the net, it’s £20million"

I love how this is the same day that we signed a striker for £5m :lol:

Just went through my mind :lol:

What can Joselu do for £5 million then :lol:?

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, he's just putting a brave face on with that comment IMO. I'm sure if the funds he'd expected were available he'd not be that arsed about the fees at this point. It's the same for everyone, we're the only ones apparently waiting for other clubs to suddenly come to their senses and drop the asking prices out of the goodness of their hearts.

And anyway it's not like we haven't exploited the recent trend for daft fees for attacking players ourselves; £35m for Carroll, £30m for Sissoko and £25m for Wijnaldum spring to mind.

Yep. And someone asked a good question in another thread: what's happened to the January money? We didn't spend in Jan, I thought, because we were gonna hit the ground running in the summer.

This fucking regime. You simply cannot believe a word they say or guess their actions.