Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whist there's no argument about his dodgy nappa, how people can argue that he`s not a top midfielder is beyond me.

What has he done to prove he's a 'top midfielder'? No goals, no assists this season. Poor physically, poor workrate, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't shoot, s**** set pieces, doesn't get into the box. Short passing game is poor, regularly plays the wrong pass.

The only attribute he has, is the odd spectacular pass - which so far has managed to create one goal this season against Liverpool.

The idea that he's a 'top midfielder' is beyond insane. He's dreadfully limited.

When he plays, he`s a threat, I`ll grant you his defensive game isn't the best & when he doesn't start, that's usually why.

If he goes I think you'll find it'll be two combative midfielders at all times and a pacier three behind the striker. Solid platform and let a front 4 create for themselves.

Besides if Merino is fit enough he'll provide as many key chance passes as Shelvey imo.

Shelvey isn't a deep-lying CM in my opinion. He should be playing in a more advanced position but he lacks the athleticism and desire to be effective. He's blessed with a ton of talent he can't really use. If we can swindle WH out of anything north of 18M it would be a good deal. Great deal if we can replace with someone more effective to us in this side (even if less talented than Shelvey).

He doesn't have the agility to play further forward, which is why it's never really happened.

Shelvey isn't a deep-lying CM in my opinion. He should be playing in a more advanced position but he lacks the athleticism and desire to be effective. He's blessed with a ton of talent he can't really use. If we can swindle WH out of anything north of 18M it would be a good deal. Great deal if we can replace with someone more effective to us in this side (even if less talented than Shelvey).

He doesn't have the agility to play further forward, which is why it's never really happened.

Yes exactly, which is why he'll never fulfil his true potential. He'll always float around bottom-midtable clubs pumping hollywood balls until he got sussed out - rinse and repeat.

Whist there's no argument about his dodgy nappa, how people can argue that he`s not a top midfielder is beyond me.

What has he done to prove he's a 'top midfielder'? No goals, no assists this season. Poor physically, poor workrate, can't tackle, can't dribble, can't shoot, s**** set pieces, doesn't get into the box. Short passing game is poor, regularly plays the wrong pass.

The only attribute he has, is the odd spectacular pass - which so far has managed to create one goal this season against Liverpool.

The idea that he's a 'top midfielder' is beyond insane. He's dreadfully limited.

When he plays, he`s a threat, I`ll grant you his defensive game isn't the best & when he doesn't start, that's usually why.

If he goes I think you'll find it'll be two combative midfielders at all times and a pacier three behind the striker. Solid platform and let a front 4 create for themselves.

Besides if Merino is fit enough he'll provide as many key chance passes as Shelvey imo.

I`ll go with that...but would you be confident about opening up a premier league midfield /defence (Other than hoofing it) if Merino gets a knock?

I`ll go with that...but would you be confident about opening up a premier league midfield /defence (Other than hoofing it) if Merino gets a knock?

No, but I'm not now and stats suggest Shelvey isn't great at it anyway :/

Guest Howaythetoon

A good passer of the ball for me is someone economical and effective with it. Shelvey is neither and needs time and space to do his thing anyway which is rare in this league. Basically the game we play and the league we play in demands more from him, but he doesn’t have the right tools to provide what we need. I actually think Shelvey would shine in another league, somewhere like Serie A or La Liga where he can get the time and space and where he won’t be required to get up and down as much. His attributes are his passing range and I trust no-one more than him in our current team to play that inch perfect through ball or to see that kind of run and attempt to play that ball. But those opportunities and moments are few and far between to the point where you have to ask whether he can bring more to the team outside of that and the answer is simply no as he demonstrates whenever he plays.

Apart from our season in the Championship, Shelvey has never been in an NUFC side that's been on the front foot and dictating play.

I'm probably his biggest critic as he offers no protection to the team, which is frustrating because he's a big lad, he could easily impose himself in the middle if he had the mindset.

But to give stats about his assists or goals in "this" team is stupid. If we were bossing a midfield and giving him the ball in places where he could hurt teams we'd be seeing a different player.

He does all of his idiotic stuff when we're defending, which is between 55-80% of matches these days.

Guest Howaythetoon

He’s a luxury player. I’ve thought about playing him more advanced, but he lacks the quick feet and more importantly quick witted thinking to move and operate in that kind of role to be effective. He’d look as gormless as his facial expressions...

Guest firetotheworks

You all seem to be comparing him with what you view as a good midfielder, rather than the reality of our situation, the alternatives we have, or the alternatives we're likely to get with a measley £12m.

Good luck getting a midfielder half as good as Shelvey for £12m, like. I don't even particularly like him, it's the fee that I have a problem with.

Yeah have to agree with this. £12m seems pittance in the current market, (which in itself is crazy) and the chances of us finding and getting a replacement for around that amount seem pretty slim. Especially given our transfer history.

Guest Howaythetoon

You all seem to be comparing him with what you view as a good midfielder, rather than the reality of our situation, the alternatives we have, or the alternatives we're likely to get with a measley £12m.

Hayden and Diame bring more to the table which is actually quite sad given their own limitations. They can’t pass the ball about like Shelvey, but they get stuck in more, have more stamina, even Diame, and seem to get forward more or more towards the oppsotion box than Shelvey. Merino is by far the better all-round player as well. It’s a shame because I rated him and was happy for us to sign him, but then I only ever saw him periodically for Swansea and anyone can look good in match of the day...

I did say I wouldn't sell him because the likelihood is we'll not replace him tbf.

Just a general discussion about Shelvey that's going on.

Basically he's a talented player but there's no position or role in the modern game which really takes advantage of his skill set without being a detriment in some way.

I personally think he would be deadly in a team who look to dominate the ball. He is a very creative passer and can visualise potentials passes that not many others could. Some of his through balls this season & last have been absolutely unbelievable, but he genuinely doesn't get the opportunity to play that way for us - he is forced to adopt a completely different mindset to the one he is most effective in. If he could focus on breaking teams down instead of always focusing on being broke down then I think he would flourish and his statistics would reflect his blatant talent.

Selling Shelvey for 12 mil will mean we'll have to go forrin. Surely we can find a semi-decent box-to-box midfielder for somewhere near 15 mil.

He's on 80k a week.. there's any number of decent players heading towards the end of contracts who would jump at the chance for that wage.

Guest firetotheworks

Hayden and Diame bring more to the table which is actually quite sad given their own limitations. They can’t pass the ball about like Shelvey, but they get stuck in more, have more stamina, even Diame, and seem to get forward more or more towards the oppsotion box than Shelvey. Merino is by far the better all-round player as well. It’s a shame because I rated him and was happy for us to sign him, but then I only ever saw him periodically for Swansea and anyone can look good in match of the day...

Nah, Hayden and Diame bring completely different attributes altogether. The moment they're doing what they do, the complaint will be that we don't have anyone who can pass it about. So we're left in a position where our best midfield option going forward is a player who's out of form and injured in Merino. Selling Shelvey and Saivet is really fucking stupid unless Rafa has replacements lined up. You have to remember, as much as I love Rafa and will defend him to the hilt, he's not infallible, the plan to replace Xabi Alonso with Gareth Barry was still a thing, I can't just pretend that didn't happen. :lol:

I agree with who Disco agrees with. Who I think also agrees with him.

Argument is less about how good any of our 4 central midfielders are, more about the fact we already need to add to the pool of four and that doesn't look like happening. Realistically we would all bin Shelvey, Diame and possibly Hayden if we knew we would get better players in to replace them.

Selling Shelvey for £12m, man. :lol: That's outrageous, man. Can't believe some posters are actually advocating it.

In this market we should be demanding at least £20m for him. Get that, use the other £20m we allegedly have for a striker (if it exists) and hoy it at a top quality striker. I think the rumour is bollocks anyway so it's a moot point.

Saivet, Mitrovic and Colback are the only players we should be selling unless outrageous offers come in.