Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Still think we'll go back for Knockaert after we've played Brighton. Their good start won't help us aas they'll be confident they don't need the money to strengthen. If they'd struggled so far they may have been a bit more tempted.

I think we've moved on from him, Rafa's already said there are some players we want that other clubs don't want to sell or the player themselves don't want the move. It's not going to happen reading between the lines.

Still think we'll go back for Knockaert after we've played Brighton. Their good start won't help us aas they'll be confident they don't need the money to strengthen. If they'd struggled so far they may have been a bit more tempted.

unfortunately knockaert may think he has a better chance of making it to the premiership if he stays on the south coast.

unfortunately knockaert may think he has a better chance of making it to the premiership if he stays on the south coast.

4 games in, huge pay rise, bigger club. Don't be too surprised if he's gone by September, even to a prem club.

No indication that we have to sell Sissoko to buy more players.  Just because we haven't signed anyone lately doesn't mean we haven't been making bids.

TBF the Sissoko situation could be holding things up but not necessarily in a "need to sell to buy" scenario. Yes, we'd have more money to spend and that could alter things, also if he didn't leave that could alter what we need to bring in.

No indication that we have to sell Sissoko to buy more players.  Just because we haven't signed anyone lately doesn't mean we haven't been making bids.

Sure Benitez said we didn't have to sell anyone, or was he lying.

He's been making noise about the inflated squad size though. Given we've hit a brick wall with player recruitment, it doesn't take a leap of the imagination to assume that's the main issue.

If you add up the wages of Saivet, Gouffran and Riviere among others it's probably a lot. Add to that the maybes like Sissoko, De Jong, Tiote.

4 games in, huge pay rise, bigger club. Don't be too surprised if he's gone by September, even to a prem club.

We should be offering wages that'll turn his head. He's done nothing but perform since arriving in this division and is doing it again this season. He's also a good age. He's highly rated and probably offers the closest guarantee of success of any potential (realistic) wingers we can sign, with the added bonus of weakening a serious division rival by taking their most creative player.

We have the cash but we don't have time to wait for players to develop. We need the finished article, proven players like Ritchie, and they cost more. We can either go for unsettled Premier League squad players or try to steal our rivals' best players from the Championship. I prefer the latter even though it is more expensive. I think it is better to sign in-form players on the way up rather than players who have been outcast for whatever reason. It sounds like we put in a mediocre bid for him and then walked away. I'd be surprised if we don't go back in for him. As I said before, I think the club are waiting to get rid of a few because if we sign first and can't shift them, the squad and wage bill will be too high. It's not how I would do things, but I'm not in charge of the finances and we all know how the club operates.

I would have assumed that given how critical it is to back up first time of asking to us, that surely we would be prepared to spunk a wedge to do it. I'm sure we want to see the back of Saviet, Tiote and Sissoko to balance the books a bit, but  surely snapping up that essential left back, wingers and a striker first is paramount. We could have won our opening two games if we had sorted this out. The risk is we can't shift the three want out or we don't want, but that's worth the risk surely?

The biggest mistake of this window is that ridiculous 35m price tag on Sissoko. I predicted this weeks ago that we would be stuck with him because of that asking price and miss out on decent money to strengthen the team.

Yet I was laughed at and kept hearing how Rafa was totally right to do so. Well he wasn't.

We are in profit with transfers so have spent nothing net. Rafa must of wanted at least 30m to spend when he agreed to stay. We can't need to sell Sissoko and the other dead wood that we overprice like gouffran rivière etc to buy but it sure looks that way

And what you've been saying every day for the last two months. :lol:

Personally don't think it's got anything to do with it tbh. If someone bid an acceptable bid we'd take it. I don't think it's stopping us bid for others either (£12m for Knockaert, etc). Think that's more brinkmanship on our part where we'll finally go with a bigger bid, irrespective of the Sissoko situation.

Bit worried that it seems like we are having to sell to buy.  Seems like perhaps the Sissoko deal that is holding everything up?

According to Transfer League, our net spend is £3.8m.  Not really portrayed that way in the media and by other fans.  Everyone outside of Newcastle, seems to think we're trying to buy the Championship.  When in reality, basically stood still and the squad hasn't improved that much. 

Just seems mental that we wasted £70-£80m last season.  Now we have a proper manager and are desperate to get back up, and we're reluctant to loosen the purse strings.

I do not doubt for a second that the people in the club are working around the clock to get new players in, its a slight worry that we do not seem to get the right caliber players in.

There are some glaring holes in our squad, that should have been filled during the summer. I hope this is not down to funds, as while we have had some good players coming in, we have also sold players and i think we are at break even with our ins and outs this summer.

I also think the during the summer, we might got more player with the right mentality in, but from a pure quality perspective our squad is weaker.

I still believe we will get 2-3 players inn before September, i just wish we had the squad ready before the season kicked off.

Rafa Benitez has revealed his “best team” will look “different” by the end of the month - because he is still targeting up to four further signings to bolster Newcastle United’s attacking flair.

The Magpies have already brought in eight players at a gross spend of £45million this summer, but Benitez stresses there will be further movement before the August 31 deadline - both in and out of the club.

How many further acquisitions are made will depend on United shipping deadwood out of the squad - and on whether the likes of Moussa Sissoko and Cheick Tiote stay on Tyneside - but Benitez is adamant there will be incomings between now and the start of September.

“My best team [at the end of the month] will be different because we still want to bring in another three or four players,” the Spaniard admitted, while once again stressing he was under no financial pressure to sell any player.

“Maybe it will be one, maybe it will be four – it depends on who is leaving and who is available. If we bring another two players, it will be because we think they can play.

“If we are changing things, it is not because we are losing; it is because we still do not have our team.

“We do not have our top XI, maybe because two or three of the players are still not here. We know the positions, and we will be trying to bring in the players because we know they can play.

“Maybe in three weeks’ time, they will be playing so the team will be different.”

Newcastle lost their opening two Championship matches but Benitez insists that has not been a factor in his transfer business.

Instead, the 56-year-old was always looking to add greater flair and precision in attack, though he hopes his current crop of Magpies will have enough invention to see off Reading at St James’ Park on Wednesday night.

“We are in the market because we have to fix these things,” Benitez replied when asked about United’s lack of creativity in their opening two games.

“I’m really pleased with the signings that we did earlier. All of them have been fantastic - we have seen that in pre-season.

“But it is not enough.

“We have to improve a little bit more.

“You go the wide areas but the other team are waiting, they are organised so you have to go back.

“You need players able to beat people.

“We go to [Matt] Ritchie in the market, why? Because he could beat players.

“We have to find [more]. We need more players - and players that can be more precise.”

Sounds promising.

Bit worried that it seems like we are having to sell to buy.  Seems like perhaps the Sissoko deal that is holding everything up?

According to Transfer League, our net spend is £3.8m.  Not really portrayed that way in the media and by other fans.  Everyone outside of Newcastle, seems to think we're trying to buy the Championship.  When in reality, basically stood still and the squad hasn't improved that much. 

Just seems mental that we wasted £70-£80m last season.  Now we have a proper manager and are desperate to get back up, and we're reluctant to loosen the purse strings.

A few on here still believe Graham Carr isn't responsible for our current woes though.

A few on here still believe Graham Carr isn't responsible for our current woes though.

He is and he isn't.  The previous transfer policy of only buying players with re-sale value and trying to get perceived bargains from abroad, was as much to blame.  Couldn't sign anyone over 26-28, could we?

Carr has had hit on some, but had some spectacular misses, as well.