Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The biggest mistake of this window is that ridiculous 35m price tag on Sissoko. I predicted this weeks ago that we would be stuck with him because of that asking price and miss out on decent money to strengthen the team.

Yet I was laughed at and kept hearing how Rafa was totally right to do so. Well he wasn't.

We are in profit with transfers so have spent nothing net. Rafa must of wanted at least 30m to spend when he agreed to stay. We can't need to sell Sissoko and the other dead wood that we overprice like gouffran rivière etc to buy but it sure looks that way

Surely the point of asking for £35m is to put off potential suitors because Rafa wants to keep Sissoko.  An in form Sissoko will surely serve us better than any other midfield players we may be currently chasing with a view to replacing him if a club is daft enough to pay the £35m!

For what it's worth, needing to sell players in order to be able to afford players is one thing (I don't believe we do - see the bids we've put in for Knockaert for a start). But needing to sell players so that you don't have deadwood siphoning off hundreds of thousands of pounds a week in wages is another thing.

We 100% do need to sell players for that reason. But I don't believe that is what is holding up more incomings. I just think we've reached an impasse (which most clubs tend to at this time of year) where our main problem positions (striker and winger IMO) are probably the hardest ones to get done, if you want the right quality.

41d43404ad.png

Nolan was essentially a third striker in midfield who escaped being marked because of that. Bit of a catch-22 situation because up front he'd get fewer goals and in CM he'd often be overran. Ultimately because of the rigidity of Championship teams and our quality in defence he was an extremely useful goal threat with weaknesses that could generally be overlooked.

Shame we don't have someone like him now because you can guarantee the likes of Perez won't be getting 17 league goals this year.

Do you think Perez will "make it" as a good PL player?

Whatever the fee is for Sissoko, no-one has put in an offer yet so until someone does then nothing can happen.  We may well accept less but without an initial offer there is nothing to negotiate.

Liverpool want £30m for Benteke but Palace went in with £23m rising to £30m but the add-ons were unrealistic - make them achievable and Liverpool might start talking.

And what you've been saying every day for the last two months. :lol:

Personally don't think it's got anything to do with it tbh. If someone bid an acceptable bid we'd take it. I don't think it's stopping us bid for others either (£12m for Knockaert, etc). Think that's more brinkmanship on our part where we'll finally go with a bigger bid, irrespective of the Sissoko situation.

Brinkmanship is how we've operated for years. We sell for top dollar exploiting desperate clubs, but if we ourselves fail to land our targets for the right price, we go with what we have. We've always been reluctant to overpay to get what we really need. This, among other things, is the thinking that has landed us where we are. I'd like to believe it has changed, but as you suggest, it seems we're at it again regarding the sale of Sissoko as well as the signing of Knockaert and other targets. The closer we get to deadline day, the more these clubs will want for their players because it diminishes their own options for signing a replacement. The more they ask for, the less likely we are to pay it. All we can hope for is that we get them "over the line" this time otherwise we're in trouble.

Recent transfers were done without all the hype and rumors surrounding them. That's the way Rafa and Charnley like to do business.  We will hear nothing until someone arrives for a medical and I think it will happen soon

We need a central midfielder, a left back and a target man striker.

Charlie Austin would have been ideal but perhaps not last season as he was injured so much. I think Southampton would sell at the right price perhaps, or if he's not going to be starting games they might loan him out.

I'd happily send Ayoze there on loan with Austin coming this way. I just can't see how a year in this league is going to benefit the young lad, where as Austin made his name here and just needs the run of games to get his fitness back.

The biggest mistake of this window is that ridiculous 35m price tag on Sissoko. I predicted this weeks ago that we would be stuck with him because of that asking price and miss out on decent money to strengthen the team.

Yet I was laughed at and kept hearing how Rafa was totally right to do so. Well he wasn't.

We are in profit with transfers so have spent nothing net. Rafa must of wanted at least 30m to spend when he agreed to stay. We can't need to sell Sissoko and the other dead wood that we overprice like gouffran rivière etc to buy but it sure looks that way

Surely the point of asking for £35m is to put off potential suitors because Rafa wants to keep Sissoko.  An in form Sissoko will surely serve us better than any other midfield players we may be currently chasing with a view to replacing him if a club is daft enough to pay the £35m!

Nobody is or ever was going to pay 35m or anything close to that lets stop that nonsense now. He won't be much use if he is still here next month though he won't even give 50% and he didn't exactly have much end product when he was trying

Recent transfers were done without all the hype and rumors surrounding them. That's the way Rafa and Charnley like to do business.  We will hear nothing until someone arrives for a medical and I think it will happen soon

:thup:

Given that Rafa said this...

“We still want to bring in another three or four players. We still don’t have our top XI and we need to balance the squad. Some players have not yet arrived but others will leave."

... yesterday I don't think it's anything to worry about. It's pretty clear from that quote that Rafa knows we need both players who'll improve the first team and ones who'll give us better balance and depth throughout the squad.

The sooner we get them in the better, of course. Hoping we can get our shit together enough to manage to have at least 5 points on the board before the international break. It's a long season so I'm not unduly worried by a slow start so long as we have our shit together by the end of the window. You don't want to get cut too far adrift though all the same.

I reckon we'll get a winger from abroad. Seems the only ones worth splashing-out for in this division are going to be unavailable. Don't really care which striker we get, mind. It's a risk but I wouldn't be devastated if we put faith in Mitro but just got a backup big CF, just so long as we do get one.

I reckon we'll get a winger from abroad. Seems the only ones worth splashing-out for in this division are going to be unavailable. Don't really care which striker we get, mind. It's a risk but I wouldn't be devastated if we put faith in Mitro but just got a backup big CF, just so long as we do get one.

Good shout on the winger from abroad. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out to be another Thauvin.

Whatever the fee is for Sissoko, no-one has put in an offer yet so until someone does then nothing can happen.  We may well accept less but without an initial offer there is nothing to negotiate.

Liverpool want £30m for Benteke but Palace went in with £23m rising to £30m but the add-ons were unrealistic - make them achievable and Liverpool might start talking.

Liverpool will want to sel Benteke. Klopp has no use for him. We could do with Sissoko