Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd have faith in Shelvey as a number 10.

I wouldn't, he needs space to operate in to spray passes about and has pretty much nothing required to be a very good number 10.

We absolutely need a no 10 more than anything else IMO considering what system Rafa will use, none of what we currently are anywhere near good enough and a quality one will change things more than any other signing could.

a 4231 falls flat on it's face without one, it's absolutely vital that is sorted before the end of August.

Guest firetotheworks

Rafa's number #10 isn't one in the purest sense though. He got the best form of Gerrard's career out of playing him there. Maybe he wants to do similar with Shelvey.

Debatable. Most Liverpool fans I encounter reckon that Gerrard was at his best when he was played on the right hand side. I take your point though.

Rafa's number #10 isn't one in the purest sense though. He got the best form of Gerrard's career out of playing him there. Maybe he wants to do similar with Shelvey.

Even if that's the case Gerrard was much more well rounded than Shelvey ever will be.

He had aspects to his game which allowed him to be successful, I really fail to see how Shelvey does.

Tbh from the little I've seen of both players Aarons is twice the player Ojo is, so can't see that happening as Rafa would be weakening the squad.

He'd be fourth choice, still decent, and we wouldn't be left short. Would allow Aarons a full season of football. I'd do it.

#10 worries me the most and has done since last season because in gayle we have a striker who can score but he needs good service, i.e. he's not someone who'll skin 4 players and score for the most part

only way i see shelvey working in a more advanced role is if murphy/atsu/ritchie/aarons (whoever plays) play pretty high and wide so closer to a 4-3-3 with shelvey ahead of deep lying CM's....if shelvey were expected to play a proper #10 in behind a striker making things happen we'll be in deep shit imo, but if we're using the wide players higher up supported by fullbacks to stretch teams and use shelvey's range of passing that way it might work

we've also got what looks like a decent spread of goalscoring options in the side now as well with murphy, ritchie, gayle, aarons (potentially) and atsu...we got fret :pardsgrin:

Seems odd we are still being linked with wingers according to the Ronny Gill. I would have thought Ritchie, Atsu, Aarons and Murphy is sufficient cover, unless Rafa sees one of that quartet as a number 10.

feel the same about cm's now Merino is coming, especially at the prices quoted for McCarthy and Samaris. We need an AM, ST, GK and LB. One more CM would be great but its not the priority.

I'd have faith in Shelvey as a number 10.

I wouldn't, he needs space to operate in to spray passes about and has pretty much nothing required to be a very good number 10.

We absolutely need a no 10 more than anything else IMO considering what system Rafa will use, none of what we currently are anywhere near good enough and a quality one will change things more than any other signing could.

a 4231 falls flat on it's face without one, it's absolutely vital that is sorted before the end of August.

Indeed shelvey is just not a number 10. a number 10 needs to be linking midfield to attack and making runs, getting into space. Shelvey has a great passing range it would be a massive waste.

Guest chopey

Andre Carrillo and Andreas Samaris are mentioned in the Chron live blog.  Someone tweet Ryder to get the club's stance on those two.

Obvious Giggs but is that Andy Carrols Mexican cousin

Andre Carrillo and Andreas Samaris are mentioned in the Chron live blog.  Someone tweet Ryder to get the club's stance on those two.

Why he will just say "computer says no"

Kind of my point, it is his media outlet reporting the links.

Why he will just say "computer says no"

Kind of my point, it is his media outlet reporting the links.

Aye, I suppose but he is a total mong so no need to ask.

So at the talk in there was mention that Rafa had spoken to Mourinho earlier in the day ...

Now this morning Richard Keys has hypothesised about Martial joining us.

Apparently Mourinho is not happy with Chelsea loaning out so many players to other prem teams, as these players improve these teams and make life more difficult for Chelsea's rivals, but cannot feature against Chelsea.

Therefore he is looking to do the same to Chelsea, and Martial is potentially going to be joining us in this scenario. Apparently Mourinho doesn't fancy him at all, but knows they cannot get anywhere near the money they spent on him back, as things stand.

Absolutely love Anthony Martial man. Front three of Martial, Gayle and Ritchie. Oh yes.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/833971/Chelsea-Manchester-United-Newcastle-Anthony-Martial-Antonio-Conte-Jose-Mourinho-Keys

So at the talk in there was mention that Rafa had spoken to Mourinho earlier in the day ...

Now this morning Richard Keys has hypothesised about Martial joining us.

Apparently Mourinho is not happy with Chelsea loaning out so many players to other prem teams, as these players improve these teams and make life more difficult for Chelsea's rivals, but cannot feature against Chelsea.

Therefore he is looking to do the same to Chelsea, and Martial is potentially going to be joining us in this scenario. Apparently Mourinho doesn't fancy him at all, but knows they cannot get anywhere near the money they spent on him back, as things stand.

Absolutely love Anthony Martial man. Front three of Martial, Gayle and Ritchie. Oh yes.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/833971/Chelsea-Manchester-United-Newcastle-Anthony-Martial-Antonio-Conte-Jose-Mourinho-Keys

:lol Martial isn't coming here man.

Bargain time?

Newcastle United’s budget means they will end the transfer window shopping for bargains.

The Magpies have already spent £31.3million and need to sell to buy in order to complete spending spree.

Newcastle’s situation in terms of finances will get better as the months and years go by in the Premier League but for now, they must set their stall out accordingly. That is something that is causing obvious tension between the club’s football management team and the club’s administrators.

Bargain time?

Newcastle United’s budget means they will end the transfer window shopping for bargains.

The Magpies have already spent £31.3million and need to sell to buy in order to complete spending spree.

Newcastle’s situation in terms of finances will get better as the months and years go by in the Premier League but for now, they must set their stall out accordingly. That is something that is causing obvious tension between the club’s football management team and the club’s administrators.

Where is the quote from?  Or is it a leazes quote? :)

Bargain time?

Where is the quote from?  Or is it a leazes quote? :)

From Ryder and friends at the comical. It's in their live feed blog.