Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd like Samaris, simply because it gives us the option of fielding a proper double pivot with two players who are both physical and defensively capable.

Having that to fall back on in certain games would definitely increase the creative burden on the three behind the striker, but would allow us to deploy a more effective counter-attacking approach.

In addition to this, I always like having players who are useful from set pieces and this is something I think we're currently lacking. Too many times last season we had Shelvey and/or Diame marking from corners and losing their men, for instance.

In truth there are only four players in our current "best team" I'd trust with this responsibility (Hayden, Lejeune/Lascelles, Clark and Dummett), which isn't enough for the big league and means that Dummett almost has to play (regardless of us not having any other decent option anyway).

Guest reefatoon

Dennis Wised him. Looks like he sits quite deep but likes to get forward. Looks like a tall fella too. Don't really care if he is good or shite, it's a transfer rumour so I am as excited as when Shearer signed.

I just feel that if we get one very good marquee signing then it would clear the blockage in the transfer pipes. We get someone good in, others would look and see Rafa and Newcastle mean business and think "I want to be part of this". If I think about the mindset of players looking in, the less action in our dealings might make them question coming here, Rafa or not.

I just feel that if we get one very good marquee signing then it would clear the blockage in the transfer pipes. We get someone good in, others would look and see Rafa and Newcastle mean business and think "I want to be part of this". If I think about the mindset of players looking in, the less action in our dealings might make them question coming here, Rafa or not.

This is true. But I wonder what effect it has on the current squad being constantly told that they're not good enough? Genuine question. In reality they aren't good enough on the whole, but what happens to their morale if we don't strengthen as we should?

Still trying to work out how attractive a club we are - you'd think having Rafa, our relative 'success' in the 90s and early 2000s and size of crowds (if this ever factors into a player's decision) would mean that we are a decent option for most players.  Allied with the wages on offer here generally, I'm still surprised that we haven't been linked with a better calibre of player.  Maybe the complete lack of ambition that the club has demonstrated over the last 10 years has caught up with us and we are an unattractive proposition, regardless of Rafa etc.

I reckon we're under instructions to trim the squad before we can sign anyone else.  We've got far more than a 25 man squad can handle at the moment and all that deadwood is going to be sucking up wages whether we play them or not.

Guest firetotheworks

I really don't think it's about how attractive we are as a club, but how much we're willing to spend on fees and wages. As always under Ashley it's not the going rate.

IMO not buying the likes of Townsend and McCarthy in January has proved to be a mistake despite our promotion and title win. Selling clubs look at our squad and realise we need significant improvement, and so then add on an extra 5-7 million to the asking price. Naturally we find that even more difficult with our finances, especially with the insane jump in transfer fees this season.

IMO not buying the likes of Townsend and McCarthy in January has proved to be a mistake despite our promotion and title win. Selling clubs look at our squad and realise we need significant improvement, and so then add on an extra 5-7 million to the asking price. Naturally we find that even more difficult with our finances, especially with the insane jump in transfer fees this season.

Agree re. Townsend. McCarthy supposedly wasn't for sale in January though.

Whenever I read about Rolan, I say his name in my head like that little black lass from Grange Hill saying 'Ro-land'. There it goes again! Can't help myself.  :fool:

I do that as well [emoji38]

Haha I've been doing that for ages! Thought I was the only weirdo though. [emoji38]

Rollin' by Limp Bizkit fwiw.

Same as this [emoji38]

Roland.  Pete Postlethwaite's character from The Lost World, for me. 

Whenever I read about Rolan, I say his name in my head like that little black lass from Grange Hill saying 'Ro-land'. There it goes again! Can't help myself.  :fool:

Haha I've been doing that for ages! Thought I was the only weirdo though. [emoji38]

Same as this [emoji38]

Diego Rolan, they hatin'

Defendin' and tryna catch him playin' dirty

(Hoping he's a Suarez type)

Same as this [emoji38]

http://i2.birminghammail.co.uk/incoming/article7068762.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/GL325535.png

Agreed.  I'm someone that rates players entirely on their performance - not reputation. I've been vocal in criticism of 'internationals' your Wijnaldums, Colo, Janmaat, Santon, Sissoko etc. 

But this summer we aren't looking at the same calibre of player. And losing out to players of less repute. I want us to sign players of the right characters but it is a bit worrying. I'm happy to gamble on British youngsters and sign them if we think they're good enough. But not this loan shit. 

Looking back at the last time we were promoted - HBA aside we didn't improve the team a whole lot. 

Agreed.  I'm someone that rates players entirely on their performance - not reputation. I've been vocal in criticism of 'internationals' your Wijnaldums, Colo, Janmaat, Santon, Sissoko etc. 

But this summer we aren't looking at the same calibre of player. And losing out to players of less repute. I want us to sign players of the right characters but it is a bit worrying. I'm happy to gamble on British youngsters and sign them if we think they're good enough. But not this loan shit. 

Looking back at the last time we were promoted - HBA aside we didn't improve the team a whole lot. 

We had AC. Now we've only got Gayle, who seems to get injured fairly easily.