Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jonathan Wilson was reckoning the foreign TV deal is likely to go up around 33% when it's renegotiated next year.

The UK rights battle is up for grabs this year and it sounds like Sky are paying double per season for the Football League so that will only massively increase too!

I think the next deal will be insane and will lead to the end of easy access premier league football you could potentially have Sky, BT, Virgin, Google, Amazon and Facebook with one package each it will cost an absolute fortune for the average punter to watch games, illegal streams will be the only way to go and these big broadcasters will lose a fortune which will lead to clubs getting into serious financial trouble building teams based on money they wont receive.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case. The ATP Tennis just went to Amazon in what is essentially their first significant sports TV rights package outside of the US. That splits tennis primarily across four stations (BBC, Eurosport, BT Sport & Amazon). I believe similar has just happened with cricket in that BT have grabbed all Australian home tests including the Ashes away from Sky. There's absolutely no reason to believe that the same isn't going to happen with football in the near future. Sky are clearly look for that not to happen by offloading other sports to free up money to bid as much as they can but I can see a time coming where the paying customer at home gets very little for their money.

Jonathan Wilson was reckoning the foreign TV deal is likely to go up around 33% when it's renegotiated next year.

I think I heard him say that on one of the podcasts. Whoever it was I heard said that the domestic deal wouldn't significantly increase, which suggests the big boost in tv money is partly based on speculation over overseas interest in the PL. I reckon this makes it more likely that the big increases in tv money are unsustainable.

Aye that's the same thing I listened too. Might have been Football Weekly.

As an aside how gutted are you if you're Peter Beardsley or someone else class from that era. Seeing comparative shite getting paid a fuck ton and knowing you just missed out on it.

It's dead simple, make clubs use a certain percentage of the tv revenue towards lowering season ticket prices or investing in grass roots/academy football. This way, good comes out of the tv money instead of lining agents and footballers pockets.

I don't mind them being rich but they don't need to be any richer.

Interest in overseas broadcasts of the PL will always be limited by time differences. With the Internet, people now want to see and know everything live as it happens, and only a certain number will go out of their way to stay up late or tune in in the morning.

City, Chelsea, PSG, and Barca for a while are/were bankrolled by fossil fuel money, and that may be on the wane too. It's quite possible that football is indeed in a bubble.

Interest in overseas broadcasts of the PL will always be limited by time differences. With the Internet, people now want to see and know everything live as it happens, and only a certain number will go out of their way to stay up late or tune in in the morning.

City, Chelsea, PSG, and Barca for a while are/were bankrolled by fossil fuel money, and that may be on the wane too. It's quite possible that football is indeed in a bubble.

Depends, if you live in Europe then the time difference isn't going to be much (though domestic football in other European leagues will provide decent competition. If it's North America then the East coast usually aren't that far behind, a 3pm KO is just a morning KO, West Coast has a little more difficulty. Even then parts of Africa and the middle east aren't that far away from KO. It's only really the far east who have a major disadvantage. even then you love football and have your own team who you support then they will watch it no matter what time it's on.

Feel like we'll sign Lucas Perez only based on the fact that nobody has outright denied it and Rafa continues to joke and smile about it :lol:

Depends more on whether he wants to come more than anything else I reckon. He's not that expensive so even our tight fisted board might find a way to make it happen if only to placate Rafa and try to stay up. But if it's true that he wants to go back to Spain, then it's probably not going to work anyway.

Everyone needs to cool it with the bubble talk. There's absolutely nothing to suggest there's a bubble about to burst and all signs point to this continuing for the foreseeable future.

It's like everyone for the last few years saying "there's a tech bubble, this is not sustainable." Guess what? Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc keep seeing their stock rise.

The rich are getting richer all over and the Premier League is at the top. It has global appeal timed with a shift in viewing habits that made live sports incredibly valuable and they are going to ride that wave into the next one, which will be the aforementioned tech companies trying to eat into the media landscape.

At some point the rights deals will level off or decline a bit. Or maybe there's a global recession or World War III and this comes to a crashing halt. But if Ashley is planning for that eventuality then we won't be a Premier League club when the time comes.

Everyone needs to cool it with the bubble talk. There's absolutely nothing to suggest there's a bubble about to burst and all signs point to this continuing for the foreseeable future.

It's like everyone for the last few years saying "there's a tech bubble, this is not sustainable." Guess what? Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, Netflix, etc keep seeing their stock rise.

The rich are getting richer all over and the Premier League is at the top. It has global appeal timed with a shift in viewing habits that made live sports incredibly valuable and they are going to ride that wave into the next one, which will be the aforementioned tech companies trying to eat into the media landscape.

At some point the rights deals will level off or decline a bit. Or maybe there's a global recession or World War III and this comes to a crashing halt. But if Ashley is planning for that eventuality then we won't be a Premier League club when the time comes.

kimjongun.jpg?w=535&h=301

Guest firetotheworks

The bubble will burst though, it is unsustainable. It doesn't mean it's happening straight away, it just means that we're still in the bubble, but it'll burst eventually with the way things are going.

Feel like we'll sign Lucas Perez only based on the fact that nobody has outright denied it and Rafa continues to joke and smile about it :lol:

Depends more on whether he wants to come more than anything else I reckon. He's not that expensive so even our tight fisted board might find a way to make it happen if only to placate Rafa and try to stay up. But if it's true that he wants to go back to Spain, then it's probably not going to work anyway.

The sticking point will not be the fee between the clubs but how much the agent wants to persuade his player not to return home.

I genuinely don't believe people actually think the bubble is going to burst if i'm honest, wanting it sure but believing it? nah, there's zero evidence to actually suggest it's going to do anything but grow.

The sticking point will not be the fee between the clubs but how much the agent wants to persuade his player not to return home.

I don't really see that as a problem if it's true we signed players like Xisco and Riviere for £6m to help agents out.

The bubble will burst though, it is unsustainable. It doesn't mean it's happening straight away, it just means that we're still in the bubble, but it'll burst eventually with the way things are going.

Why? It's not a bubble just because something has a high value.

Guest firetotheworks

I genuinely don't believe people actually think the bubble is going to burst if i'm honest, wanting it sure but believing it? nah, there's zero evidence to actually suggest it's going to do anything but grow.

I'm pretty sure that Sky subscriptions are going down for a start.

People will decide at some point that it's not worth paying for?  Hardly inconceivable that subscription prices will continue to rise (which they have to for it to be viable as a commercial product) and people will decide they can't be arsed paying £1000s to watch an increasingly unfair competition where it becomes the Top 6 and the rest.  Of course, the bubble can burst.  Anecdotally I know of lots of football fans (not part timers) who have given up Sky and viewing figures are down.  People might decide that watching Stoke and West Brom play boring football in a desperate attempt to stay on the gravy train is only worth a certain amount.

Aye and i have said this before but the reason the Premier League is so huge has nothing to with the English viewership, if it were then why does Italian and Spanish tv deals pale in comparison?

It's because worldwide they are nothing compared to the Premier League, while the American,African, Asian and what not continues to grow it does not matter.

It's incredibly short sighted to just look at what Sky and BT are doing, that's not the reason the league is so big even if they are the ones paying the big contracts atm.

I don't really see that as a problem if it's true we signed players like Xisco and Riviere for £6m to help agents out.

Rafa said not only have transfer fees went silly along with wages but the commission fees. What favours we have done for other agents in the past is irrelevant if the player you want is with a different agency.

Guest firetotheworks

Aye and i have said this before but the reason the Premier League is so huge has nothing to with the English viewership, if it were then why does Italian and Spanish tv deals pale in comparison?

It's because worldwide they are nothing compared to the Premier League, while the American,African, Asian and what not continues to grow it does not matter.

It's incredibly short sighted to just look at what Sky and BT are doing, that's not the reason the league is so big even if they are the ones paying the big contracts atm.

The current situation is exactly because of BT though. [emoji38] It's not at all short sighted, it's just acknowledging that that's the reason for the latest increment and if their increased spending and Sky's increased spending starts failing then it'll have repurcussions on the money involved in the Premier League.

Depor president apparently saying Perez wants to join them, but they can't afford him.

I don't think he wants to come here (or to Fenerbahce), and that even if we were to sign him we may have a Thauvin situation in our hands.