Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

We did some good things, just not nearly enough of them. Massively frustrating and can only hope it doesn't bite us in the arse, whether that's by being in a relegation battle or ensuring the manager decides prospects are better elsewhere.

We did some good things, just not nearly enough of them. Massively frustrating and can only hope it doesn't bite us in the arse, whether that's by being in a relegation battle or ensuring the manager decides prospects are better elsewhere.

We did good things but even in signing Lejeune it was because he had a release clause. Had he not had a clause, no way would we have paid what he's worth.

Merino is an excellent signing but we couldn't even afford to stump up 6m or whatever this summer.

It's all very embarrassing.

Guest neesy111

We did good things but even in signing Lejeune it was because he had a release clause. Had he not had a clause, no way would we have paid what he's worth.

Merino is an excellent signing but we couldn't even afford to stump up 6m or whatever this summer.

We hardly ever go out and buy a player because it's position we need to fill and just say lets get the best player we can for that position.  It's always finding out who's out of favour, has a release clause etc.  It's pathetic.

And it still took two months.

Bare in mind Merino looks like he could be our new Cabaye, and Lejuene was poached for a cheap-ish buy out fee.

Would people rate this window better had we spend 12 mil on Merino instead of a loan, and got Lejuene in for upwards of 12mil aswell.

The window was a disappointment in the fact we only got 6 players, yet no LB, no# 10 or striker. But if we had bought those two and had an outlay of 50mil instead of 35mil, would people be happier?

Sometimes I feel like our NET spend dictates our effective transfer business to much.

There would still be huge gaps in the squad and a lack of quality so I doubt anyone would think any differently

I appreciate that, but all I see on twitter is our 11 million NET spend. As if that automatically means our acquisition of players like Merino was pointless.

No.  Before the window opened everyone had their own opinion but a common thread was that we needed a LB, #10 and GK.  I think they were the positions most people thought that we needed to strengthen, maybe striker too, and we've completely failed in all of them.

Merino is a great addition and I think Lejeune will turn out to be a shrewd purchase but the two of them are nowhere near the business we needed to do to make sure we had a competitive squad.

Guest firetotheworks

There would still be huge gaps in the squad and a lack of quality so I doubt anyone would think any differently

I appreciate that, but all I see on twitter is our 11 million NET spend. As if that automatically means our acquisition of players like Merino was pointless.

It's pointing the finger at us having money to spend and not doing so where it's needed. It's the easiest thing to point at because it's so obvious considering the spending of other clubs.

Net spend is crap these days. Everton's would have pretty much been nil had Barkley not cancelled last minute but they'd have had a superb window. Huddersfield and Brighton's seems high because they had no one to sell, low wages etc so could afford to spend

Jury's probably still out to see if Everton have had a superb window or not

Bare in mind Merino looks like he could be our new Cabaye, and Lejuene was poached for a cheap-ish buy out fee.

Would people rate this window better had we spend 12 mil on Merino instead of a loan, and got Lejuene in for upwards of 12mil aswell.

The window was a disappointment in the fact we only got 6 players, yet no LB, no# 10 or striker. But if we had bought those two and had an outlay of 50mil instead of 35mil, would people be happier?

Sometimes I feel like our NET spend dictates our effective transfer business to much.

I'd be happy if we'd been honest with the manager about the budget/type of players he could sign instead of lying to him and making him waste a huge amount of time on deals we had no intention of doing tbh. So the answer would be no.

Net spend is crap these days. Everton's would have pretty much been nil had Barkley not cancelled last minute but they'd have had a superb window. Huddersfield and Brighton's seems high because they had no one to sell, low wages etc so could afford to spend

Yeah but our net spend over ten years is less than 50m quid, which makes it impossible for anyone to cloud the issue here surely.

It's a fair point about whether our NET spend has an affect on what's viewed as a successful window. Had we spent 15m each, say, on Lejeune and Merino it would make our transfer window as a bigger success IMO.

How much we pay on fees, in comparison to our rivals, basically is a sign of our ambition and such things matter in the football world. Whether we are willing to pay to the going rate on wages and transfers, goes along with players and agents.

If it's clear that we are only looking for a bargain or a release clause, how are we ever going to get the players we want? I wouldn't be surprised if some agents flat out refuse to deal with us because of the tight arse nature of our chiefs.

If we are willing to pay the price for players, it would be a start and I'd be willing to give them the benefit of doubt over the amount of players we get through the door (quality over quantity and all that), but it's clear that neither quality nor quantity matter.

We will do the bare minimum to survive and only start acting seriously once things have gone wrong.

It's a fair point about whether our NET spend has an affect on what's viewed as a successful window. Had we spent 15m each, say, on Lejeune and Merino it would make our transfer window as a bigger success IMO.

How much we pay on fees, in comparison to our rivals, basically is a sign of our ambition and such things matter in the football world. Whether we are willing to pay to the going rate on wages and transfers, goes along with players and agents.

If it's clear that we are only looking for a bargain or a release clause, how are we ever going to get the players we want? I wouldn't be surprised if some agents flat out refuse to deal with us because of the tight arse nature of our chiefs.

If we are willing to pay the price for players, it would be a start and I'd be willing to give them the benefit of doubt over the amount of players we get through the door (quality over quantity and all that), but it's clear that neither quality nor quantity matter.

We will do the bare minimum to survive and only start acting seriously once things have gone wrong.

No way a window in which we failed to sign a goalscorer or first choice goalkeeper would be considered good no matter how much the other signings had cost.

It's more the expenditure to me. Premier league teams are now consistently spending over 20m on players even the bottom feeders like Bournemouth and palace are. We will never ever compete because Ashley will not spend over 15m let alone over 20 or 25m. When you see players like Danny Drinkwater going for 35m you realise we don't belong in this league with Ashley

So tin hat on here like buuuut assume Rafa stays, keeps us up and Ashley doesn't renege on his public statement about having all the money the club earns would we not theoretically be in a decent position next summer?  Obviously I guess we'll only get to spend this season's money (unlike other teams) but it would have to be better than this summer you'd think.

I mean approach it from the pov that Ashley isn't an absolute cunt and Rafa holds him to the money statement.

Rafa seems to have done very, very well to me on a piss poor budget, would love to let him have one decent crack at spending some money at least :/

So tin hat on here like buuuut assume Rafa stays, keeps us up and Ashley doesn't renege on his public statement about having all the money the club earns would we not theoretically be in a decent position next summer?  Obviously I guess we'll only get to spend this season's money (unlike other teams) but it would have to be better than this summer you'd think.

I mean approach it from the pov that Ashley isn't an absolute cunt and Rafa holds him to the money statement.

Rafa seems to have done very, very well to me on a piss poor budget, would love to let him have one decent crack at spending some money at least :/

Wake up man in 12 months there will be no Rafa and no Premier league....but hey there will still be Ashley

I mean approach it from the pov that Ashley isn't an absolute c*** and Rafa holds him to the money statement.

Rafa seems to have done very, very well to me on a p*ss poor budget, would love to let him have one decent crack at spending some money at least :/

We would be, but the trust between Rafa and Ashley has completely disintegrated. Rightly so.

I mean approach it from the pov that Ashley isn't an absolute c*** and Rafa holds him to the money statement.

Rafa seems to have done very, very well to me on a p*ss poor budget, would love to let him have one decent crack at spending some money at least :/

Wake up man in 12 months there will be no Rafa and no Premier league....but hey there will still be Ashley

I'm.not as sure it's as simple as that mind.