Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

People from all ages, races, and diverse backgrounds paying tribute to a great woman who served this country. That makes me very proud to be British.

People from all ages, races and diverse backgrounds are also questioning the validity of those tributes. The problem is, those are the ones being arrested and getting a royal kicking. 

I’m not a royalist never have been,they go about their ‘work’ and I go about mine but I will join in with the players,managers and fans for the minutes silence as I would at the match if it was a former player,manager,etc. I won’t be joining in with the new national anthem or the round of applause at 70 minutes unless they stop the game and everyone joins in.

8 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

People from all ages, races and diverse backgrounds are also questioning the validity of those tributes. The problem is, those are the ones being arrested and getting a royal kicking. 

It’s a period of national mourning, these people should leave their questioning until afterwards. However, I didn’t see any republicans in Wales getting any of the above yesterday. One prick in Edinburgh deservedly got yanked for shouting at a grieving family and deservedly so.

Edited by Whitley mag

The idea that this place is loony left central is funny like. I've known some genuinely loony left people and this place is nowhere being that with the exception of a few instances over the years. There are very few old school lefties on here as well.

Looking through the comments from earlier yesterday it's just people saying they don't agree with it and why. That's not moralising or saying don't do something or shutting down free speech, it's literally just people giving the opinion everyone's entitled to and explaining why they have that opinion -  no different than someone saying they want a tribute to the queen and why.

It's quite ironic considering the point some were trying to make was that people are desperate to be offended and shut down free speech. I couldn't agree more about how widespread that is, but I don't think you're any less guilty of that tbh.

Edited by Kid Icarus

15 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s a period of national mourning, these people should leave their questioning until afterwards. However, I didn’t see any republicans in Wales getting any of the above yesterday. One prick in Edinburgh deservedly got yanked for shouting at a grieving family and deservedly so.

It's also the first time in 70 years a new unelected head of state has been appointed. The only 'right' time is a time that the press and royal can easily ignore it...

I'm uneasy with the concept of 'being proud to be British' or any nationality because what does it even mean - but if anything makes me proud, it's the world seeing people protesting and just taking the piss, cutting through the absurdity of this nonsense.

21 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Why was he shouting at that particular griever?

Guest reefatoon

People just need to go and enjoy the football man. All this poncing around on both sides is fucking ridiculous. Whichever way you lean, just go and enjoy hopefully seeing a win and getting us in the top 6. Bunch of fucking weirdos the lot of you [emoji38]

32 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

when Mark Dripford is a committed anti royal and was on breakfast telly saying we should be debating the continuance of a monarchy yesterday morning it would have been a bit rich for anyone to be shut down for protesting in Wales. 

I think this again shows that N-O is and always will be an incredibly small representation of Newcastle fans, and the majority(?) view on here is very very different to the ‘outside world’.

Ironically, Heron (incredibly easily may I add) managed to wind up the very same people that would quite happily label anyone in the politics thread a ‘Gammon’ that gets riled up on Twitter over whatever the talking point of the day is. The common factor tends to be anyone with a differing view to them. 

This is the overriding problem in all politics these days, in that nobody can debate, agree to disagree and take a different stance. Everything has to be polarised. It’s been shown again in this thread the last few days. I’m on the left and always will be, but the sneering and piss taking by many on the left towards anything ‘British’ only adds fuel to fire for a majority to continue voting Tory to uphold traditions (I digress, perhaps for another thread!).

From what I’ve read on Twitter and Facebook, the majority of fans probably did want some form of display, again proving that N-O, as a whole, can have a miopic view of things. WF have spent hours debating amongst themselves in a democratic fashion in order to sit on the fence. Fair play to them and by 3pm it will all be forgotten about. As much as I wanted some form of showing, and I’d have been SO interested to see what Wor Flags could have cooked up (and I’m sure it would have been a Belter) - I can also understand why they’ve decided not to do it and I’ll back the decision too. 

I think my point is, after quite the ramble, is remember that not everyone has the same views as you; N-O, at times, can be an echo chamber and Wor Flags are class. HTL ??

This isn't really the thread for it, but we seem to be passed that, but:

It seems a bit mad that 'the left' get shit all the time (occasionally justified, very often not) for condemning offensive piss taking, being spoil sports etc, 'chill out' all that, and now we're enjoying a good joyful laugh and piss take about the circus surrounding a hereditary head of state, people dressed as playing cards etc, the left gets blamed for piss taking, 'sneering' etc. Chill out I say, let us have a laugh! people shouldn't get offended so easily. :whistle: 

(I also just don't buy this is just the far left or anything. My dad - former soldier, basically anti-politician, almost voted for Brexit - has spent the past week taking the piss and saying the country's gone mad)

Edited by Inferior Acuña

I mean, he did deliberately come in on the windup :lol:

I don’t think the debate was too bad considering.  It was mainly about whether they should stick to supporting the team or not. 

You definitely don’t need to be far left to have a problem with hereditary monarchy.   

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

So many posts of people saying 'we can't have a debate here any more' after pages and pages of run-of-the-mill debate.

I think it's more that people can't bear to have their opinions examined any more.

I'll stop, though. It's obviously hurting some feelings. We can all get back to happy flag waving next week.

Just now, Jimburst said:

So many posts of people saying 'we can't have a debate here any more' after pages and pages of run-of-the-mill debate.

I think it's more that people can't bear to have their opinions examined any more.

I'll stop, though. It's obviously hurting some feelings. We can all get back to happy flag waving next week.

The people who are saying we can't have a debate are responding to people having a go at them for having a debate. You see that right?