Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

Guest Howaythetoon

Wtf, why the Chronicle front page?

They said that some flags will be iconic newspaper headlines in the club's history. Would you have preferred The Sun?

Forgot Rafa’s first game was Leicester away, I actually watched it in Leicester IIRC. In that case it’s spot on and also builds relationships with the local rag so all good.

For a chance of sounding like a negative arsehole, why that article/cover? I like the idea I just don't see what's particularly special about that specific article to have a flag made of it? Think it will look great regardless but I don't get the message.

Probably just something a little different. Iconic moments. We'll probably all remember that front page when Rafa was appointed.

The theme is 125 years of history but obviously that we also still exist and have a future despite what Ashley does at the club. "This club is our club". The idea is that we incorporate some memorable moments from our history and in general more recent history with regards to the headlines. As you can see one is being held up and another is on the floor. That's not to say we only have two...

We intend for it to showcase snapshots of our history but to be generic enough to be able to reuse some items. More of our plans will of course come to light following the fixture. However, 2 of the banners have been hand painted by members of the group and the headline ones have all been funded by the fans as well as a centre piece.

We're attempting to put the professionally made ones in particular to good use. Especially the centre piece as a reusable item as well as the two hand made banners. As for the headlines we have different plans in place.

I don't want to give too much away. But tonight there's been 15 of us in St James' (with some still there now) preparing for the display. I truly believe this could be our best one yet so long as our fans do their bit on Saturday. Especially in the Gallowgate.

We couldn't have done it without you providing us financial backing but believe me when I say some lads literally spend like 10/15 hours a week on this. It's all our choice like... But I'm in awe of some of the group and their dedication. Hence why we get so defensive... [emoji38]

Ultimately though, we hope everyone enjoys it on Saturday and the lads get 3 points for us. Cheers again.

For a chance of sounding like a negative arsehole, why that article/cover? I like the idea I just don't see what's particularly special about that specific article to have a flag made of it? Think it will look great regardless but I don't get the message.

Big turning points and moments. Last FA Cup win and Fairs Cup win probably, Keegan arriving as player and as manager, Shearer signing, SBR appointment etc.

The appointment of Rafa ended an awful, execrable period of apathy for many supporters, some on here can admit to that. He's made us feel like a living, breathing football club and to do that under Ashley has put him up there with the greatest managers we've had for me, not even counting his past honours.

Fair play. For me the iconic moment of Rafa in the press was when he revealed his daughter told him "You have to stay and win for these people, the fans love you here". I was really moved by that, powerful stuff. There's some great, inspirational imagery & connotations in there.

In the most modest, non condescending tone possible, I hear by offer my services to the people making these flags to help them with designs. I love the club and would happily put my time, free of charge into the cause. I don't and never will use twitter so this is my calling to them. If there's any involved on here, PM me, genuine offer. I love the flag movement and the effort going in is clear to see, but the designs & concepts have been lacking at times imo and I honestly feel I could make a worthwhile contribution :thup:

(no way of saying that without sounding like an uppity arsehole, but it is what it is)

The theme is 125 years of history but obviously that we also still exist and have a future despite what Ashley does at the club. "This club is our club". The idea is that we incorporate some memorable moments from our history and in general more recent history with regards to the headlines. As you can see one is being held up and another is on the floor. That's not to say we only have two...

We intend for it to showcase snapshots of our history but to be generic enough to be able to reuse some items. More of our plans will of course come to light following the fixture. However, 2 of the banners have been hand painted by members of the group and the headline ones have all been funded by the fans as well as a centre piece.

We're attempting to put the professionally made ones in particular to good use. Especially the centre piece as a reusable item as well as the two hand made banners. As for the headlines we have different plans in place.

I don't want to give too much away. But tonight there's been 15 of us in St James' (with some still there now) preparing for the display. I truly believe this could be our best one yet so long as our fans do their bit on Saturday. Especially in the Gallowgate.

We couldn't have done it without you providing us financial backing but believe me when I say some lads literally spend like 10/15 hours a week on this. It's all our choice like... But I'm in awe of some of the group and their dedication. Hence why we get so defensive... [emoji38]

Ultimately though, we hope everyone enjoys it on Saturday and the lads get 3 points for us. Cheers again.

Huge respect and thanks to you all mate, genuinely.

It makes sense in regards to the 125 years thing. I was just seeing that article in isolation and wondering what was so iconic about it. I can see how it works in context more now though. Missed that narrative at first. Above offer still stands though. :thup:

Fair play. For me the iconic moment of Rafa in the press was when he revealed his daughter told him "You have to stay and win for these people, the fans love you here". I was really moved by that, powerful stuff. There's some great, inspirational imagery & connotations in there.

In the most modest, non condescending tone possible, I hear by offer my services to the people making these flags to help them with designs. I love the club and would happily put my time, free of charge into the cause. I don't and never will use twitter so this is my calling to them. If there's any involved on here, PM me, genuine offer. I love the flag movement and the effort going in is clear to see, but the designs & concepts have been lacking at times imo and I honestly feel I could make a worthwhile contribution :thup:

(no way of saying that without sounding like an uppity arsehole, but it is what it is)

Oh yeah, loved that.

bMv5poT.jpg

"You cannot leave these people." :aww:

Oh yeah, loved that.

bMv5poT.jpg

"You can't leave these people." :aww:

Fucking brilliant :thup:

Huge respect and thanks to you all mate, genuinely.

It makes sense in regards to the 125 years thing. I was just seeing that article in isolation and wondering what was so iconic about it. I can see how it works in context more now though. Missed that narrative at first. Above offer still stands though. :thup:

I appreciate and understand where you're coming from. Obviously with art it's each to their own taste and style and the message that also comes with it as so often is the case with regards to the football. So trust me when I say that despite the fantastic artwork and displays that we've done we do the always agree 100% in the group at the beginning or even middle of each project. Even to the point that that this one on Saturday has been the subject of great debate. However, we democratically vote it out and then the group lay down their swords to ensure whatever wins gets 100% backing.

Nonetheless, we trust our designer to use his creative edge and to be honest he has made a fantastic job of all our stuff thus far in my opinion (despite being biased). Saturday will be another example of this.

On the other hand, we're always welcome to contributions whether they be artwork, funds or mucking in. So if you'd like to see anything on a banner feel free to PM me or alternatively send it to our web address. I'll try and add it into this post once I find it. :thup: