Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

f***ing s****. :lol:

The missed sitter was literally his only contribution when he came on. We’ll be lucky to get the £10m we spent on him back in January.

Find it so weird how much you hate him. He was the one in the position to score for our only good chance all game. Scoring goals is all about getting into a position to score and Gayle is our best at that. Basically all strikers miss sitters, including strikers an awful lot better than Gayle

Because he brings nothing to us. The one attribute he has is scoring goals and I saw plenty of missed opportunities in our first season back...plus that today...isn’t acceptable. If a ‘goalscorer is a goalscorer’ he needs to score goals for us and he’s barely looked capable for a while.

It's just confirmation bias from you though. You've been going on about him being shit based on very little for ages and then he misses a sitter in a game and you use it to back up your opinion. He hasn't started a game all season. He did a decent job for Rafa in the first season back up and that included play outside the box, obviously not as good as Rondon but none of our strikers are near Rondon

Missing sitters is acceptable. Messi is the only player who consistently scores more goals than he should in terms of chances

Think there will be more striker opportunities this year, Rafa was (rightly so) very rigid in building an attack around Rondon and Perez who both stayed fit all season.

This season there will be injuries, two up top at times, more rotation for who supports Joelinton. It’s why we need Gayle and Carroll to be quite honest, this could be our best set of striker options in the past 15 years.

What the fuck are you talking about you fucking mong

That was a shocker of an opinion, and that’s coming from me.

Think there will be more striker opportunities this year, Rafa was (rightly so) very rigid in building an attack around Rondon and Perez who both stayed fit all season.

This season there will be injuries, two up top at times, more rotation for who supports Joelinton. It’s why we need Gayle and Carroll to be quite honest, this could be our best set of striker options in the past 15 years.

What the fuck are you talking about you fucking mong

:lol: :lol: Tremendous

f***ing s****. :lol:

The missed sitter was literally his only contribution when he came on. We’ll be lucky to get the £10m we spent on him back in January.

Find it so weird how much you hate him. He was the one in the position to score for our only good chance all game. Scoring goals is all about getting into a position to score and Gayle is our best at that. Basically all strikers miss sitters, including strikers an awful lot better than Gayle

Because he brings nothing to us. The one attribute he has is scoring goals and I saw plenty of missed opportunities in our first season back...plus that today...isn’t acceptable. If a ‘goalscorer is a goalscorer’ he needs to score goals for us and he’s barely looked capable for a while.

It's just confirmation bias from you though. You've been going on about him being s*** based on very little for ages and then he misses a sitter in a game and you use it to back up your opinion. He hasn't started a game all season. He did a decent job for Rafa in the first season back up and that included play outside the box, obviously not as good as Rondon but none of our strikers are near Rondon

Missing sitters is acceptable. Messi is the only player who consistently scores more goals than he should in terms of chances

I agree.  I dont' get jumping on his back for one missed chance.  He's played what, 60 minutes this season all 5-10 minute cameos so isn't going to be match sharp.  I can guarantee one thing, had he started the amount of games Joelinton has this season he would have at least 3 or 4 goals by now.  Give Gayle a little run in the side, he can't do any worse than "Big Joe".

I've never liked the look of Gayle, even in the Championship season where he scored goals, there was something about his style of play I just didn't like. And since we got promoted he's honestly offered nothing to us, as he can't even seem to score at Prem Level.

• 2 months later...

Poor Dwight. It has to be a mental barrier for him when it comes to the premier league. We’ve seen him knock those in in the Championship.

I think his biggest problem is staying fit for a run of games. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out crocked again by the next one.

Drop him off at the glue factory. These misses are fucking shambolic for a striker that's meant to be all about clinical finishing rather than anything else.

tbf his game has never been about clinical finishing. It's why theres always been downs above championship level.

Drop him off at the glue factory. These misses are fucking shambolic for a striker that's meant to be all about clinical finishing rather than anything else.

tbf his game has never been about clinical finishing. It's why theres always been downs above championship level.

We look far far better with Gayle in the team.  You are just frustrated that their goalkeeper was excellent.  Gayle did not do a lot wrong today.  At least he was in a position for the chances to be created.  This has NEVER happened when Joelinton has led the line.  Keep Joelinton on the bench and we may just be ok.

I can't help but like Joelinton, but Gayle's movement today just highlighted how much we're missing a proper striker who knows where to be and how to make those runs.

Gayle's not good enough to be the guy but hopefully we get someone who can do it and has better quality.

If that was Joelinton missing those chances he would have been strung up on the millennium bridge.

You obviously haven't seen Joelinton play football.  He would have been on the half way line.  None of those chances would have occurred with him on the pitch.  You are really being harsh on Gayle and giving no praise for the Southampton goalkeeper who was excellent.

If that was Joelinton missing those chances he would have been strung up on the millennium bridge.

Joelinton doesn't get into those positions

I had a lot of time for Gayle for that very reason, he is instinctively a goal scorer, but I don't think he's the player he was. Looks slower and not fully fit, and in truth, never does. I just don't have any faith in him any more, I think he's just winding down his career and picking up a nice wage.