Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

Not really sure why he was brought on today tbh, at 4-0 up I'd rather give White or Murphy some minutes

Been a great servant, don't want to really bash him, also he's apparently instrumental in supporting the new and younger players adapting and transitioning to the first team.

Could see him with a role here in the future, Elliott Anderson, Anthony Gordon and Sean Longstaff speak very highly of Matt Ritchie.

Hope that was his penultimate performance for us. 90+5 Vs Brighton, get him on, nice ovation, down the road in his HGV or into a coaching role.

Would have been lush if he'd scored to make up for it. It'll take a lot for me to not love Matt Ritchie, but I'd prefer it if all my memories of him were left in the past.

Just now, toon25 said:

His contract is up in June, right?

Yes.

Great servant over the years but his time is up here. Wish him all the best in the future.

I don’t know where the great servant thing comes from mind. Was excellent in the Championship but that was 7 years ago. He’s always been shit in the PL and has been paid a lot of money to barely contribute anything on the pitch for 3 years.

47 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I love him, couldn't give a fuck about him giving away a corner at 4-0 up, was gutted he didnt' score.

me too.

Posted (edited)

Premiership years 2033/34: final day drama as Newcastle need a win to snatch the title from city. 1 nil up with 2 of the 18 minutes of added time to go at home. Eddie Howe brings on 44 year old Matt Ritchie who puts one in the back of his own net then proceeds to celebrate like he won the league but only to be told by his teammates they are shooting down the gallowgate end.

Edited by Gazzaschicken

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I don’t know where the great servant thing comes from mind. Was excellent in the Championship but that was 7 years ago. He’s always been shit in the PL and has been paid a lot of money to barely contribute anything on the pitch for 3 years.

Bollocks. He was excellent (relative to our ceiling) under Rafa in the PL. I don't believe in the 'servant' thing for any player tbh, but I wouldn't single him out for exclusion from it, they all should be when they're earning an annual wage every week.

Excellent? Have a word. 

Again though, Rafa left 5 years ago. He’s been here since then because no one else was daft enough to pay his wages.

Good signing at the time, his time was a long time ago. Club ownership mismanagement and current manager knowing him for a long time means that he's essentially got a lot of coin out of us for not much return to be honest.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Excellent? Have a word. 

Again though, Rafa left 5 years ago. He’s been here since then because no one else was daft enough to pay his wages.

Yes, excellent, again relative to our ceiling at the time, as were the likes of Rondon, Perez, Diame who weren't excellent in the grand scheme of things but were relative to our ceiling under the restrictions Ashley put on Rafa's side. 

For the second part, yes, but you could say that for loads of players in our squad, so not sure why Ritchie needs to be singled out when he contributed far more than most in that era, effectively putting in the performances that clinched our promotion and then clinched our survival. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

I just don’t agree. I saw a supposed winger with no pace, no goal threat (in the PL) and zero real ability to make things happen away from set pieces. Just a poor footballer who like so many before him benefited from our huge lack of ambition and lack of focus on targeted upgrades. I know your attitude is ‘well he’s only on the field for 10 mins, who cares?’ But to me, and admittedly I occasionally get irritated by daft things, it just screams ‘club not there yet / woeful academy’ when he’s coming off the bench every game. He doesn’t belong anywhere near a club with any ambition, let alone our ambitions.

1 minute ago, High Five o said:

I see absolutely no point in bringing on Ritchie like. Why not give the youngsters a run out. Strange like!

This has been mentioned a few times and i agree, felt like a pointless change and would've rather gave Joe White more time at this level.